How to survive till/past 65! - Page 3
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let us continue in prayer for peace and that God will temper our reaction and response to the evildoers of this world who instigate strife and unrest.
    "Destruction and misery are in their ways, and the way of peace they have not known."
    May God help us all as we deal with those who use aggression to harm and provoke others.
    Last edited by Incognito; 08-30-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, work is better than worry, says this Canadian beaver, so I've been busy with my fall start-up this week.
    It's nice to earn some money again, and that will help with my summer shortfall. I've done my accounts and should be caught up again by end of next month, and after that, I can save and designate any earnings towards an increase on my monthly budget over the next 5 + years. That would be good, because $120 per month for variable expenses is not working out well, due to rising food prices.
    The weather remains hot in the daytime and cool at night...perfect harvesting weather.
    I'm enjoying my patio again...in a few weeks, there should be quite a bit of good seed to harvest from everything out there in my garden.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is a pretty lyric....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree OM!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My retirement is looming though I don't know when. I'm ready to start doing the serious actual budgeting to see if it's going to be possible at all anytime soon. I should keep working for the income and the health insurance we have here, but my chronic arthritis pain is making it harder and harder - not to mention I am just very very tired of working.

I'll follow this thread and learn what I can from you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking

Good news for me!
    I have more paid work this month. And if it keeps up till next summer, I will be able to save this income, and increase my variable monthly budget by an extra $25 per month for the next 5 years. That would amount to a total variable budget of $145 per month for the next 5 years. If so, I think I can manage on this amount.
    I've been living on a budget of $120 per month, ($100 for Food, $20 for Other), but have been having a shortfall at times. The things I forgot to include in my original budget were vitamins, bus fare, office expenses (printer ink, paper), home maintenance repairs and equipment (lawnmower cord!). And I had not budgeted enough for postage and gifts.
    I'd like to have enough $ per month to be able to cover bulk food sale purchases, and to be able to squirrel away a bit more in savings, or even save for a good pair of winter boots.

One thing I've learned is that it's never too early to look at the real dollar figures of one's own situation. And get the budget and retirement plan figured out. I am revising my budget plan at the end of October, and again at the end of December to reflect any changes, and if I'd waited only 1 more year before attending to all of this, I would be absolutely sunk...there would have been no way I could have managed to survive till retirement.

I am not an accountant, or even particularly knowledgeable about these things, and I have to deal with my illness and all of the mobility problems I have now...this impacts me continually, and slows me down, and makes some things I used to do impossible to do now. And another thing I've learned is that I'm alone in all of this, as far as human aid is concerned.
    But God is helping me to figure it all out. One of my early prayers was to ask the Lord for the financial help of Matthew the tax-collector, and ever since then, I've been getting regular 'insights' into how to better manage my finances, and general situation. (Don't laugh...really, it's true.) My prayer is being answered.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    let us continue in prayer for peace and that god will temper our reaction and response to the evildoers of this world who instigate strife and unrest.
    "destruction and misery are in their ways, and the way of peace they have not known."
    may god help us all as we deal with those who use aggression to harm and provoke others.
    amen and amen !!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear your variable spending is increasing incognito!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been busy planning an indoor hydroponic setup for a few plants. It won't be anything fancy or expensive, but I am trying a few ideas to find something workable. Right now, I have green onions in a jar and the jar is covered with a dark sock to keep out the light. I've also done the same with 2 jars of 10 basil cuttings. I am using a water-soluble all-purpose plant fertilizer (1/4 tsp. per gallon of water) to fertilize them. Other plants I'm going to bring inside now for this project are: dandelions, chives, plantain, impatiens and cuttings from my tomato plants. I also have 3 6-packs of basil outside which are now rootbound, so I want to take these out and wash off all the soil, and try growing them in a jar of water indoors. My tomato seeds are drying nicely, and I have pepper seeds drying as well, from a pepper I bought at the Farmer's market. There's a big cucumber ripening for seed as well.
    Will let you all know how my frugal hydroponics turns out as things progress.
    All of the plants I started in pots of soil outdoors a few weeks ago are doing well, except the dill, which I'll have to reseed.
    The romaine lettuces and celery (centers) seem to be doing well, and are growing larger.

My plan for indoor winter gardening projects:
    1. plants grown from cuttings in water
    2. plants grown from roots in water
    3. plants grown in potted soil
    4. plants started in soil and grown in water tubs: lettuce, tomatoes (this is a rather ambitious plan; but I'd like to use my picnic hamper for the water container, and I have some styrofoam pieces that I can cut to fit the top of the hamper to keep out the light, and I can make a few circles in the styrofoam to hold the plants, with the roots extending down into the water. The tomato plants are the very small bush variety, and I'd like to try buttercrunch lettuce too. We'll see.

Oh, I love the aroma in my kitchen with the fresh basil and green onions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looking forward to hearing how they grow for you like that incognito!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've decided not to use water-filled glass jars to hold the plants, due to a fire hazard risk from light refraction. I did some internet research today on the subject, and apparently, many fires have been caused by light refraction occurring through water-filled glass or plastic bottles (even dew forming inside thrown-away bottles).
    So I won't be using them. Live and learn.

I've collected many plants in the last couple of days, and prepared them for an indoor kitchen garden. There is already some growth in the onions. I also have dandelions, basil, impatiens, 3 kinds of tomato cuttings with their developing florets, and some grapevine branches (for leaves for cooking).

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast