How to survive till/past 65! - Page 4
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today, I got some wonderful deals at the Farmer's Market. I got there at the very end, and there weren't any other customers around, so the vendors wanted to unload their produce. I bought enough tomatoes to chop and freeze in plastic bags for the winter, a few large onions (some of which I will plant indoors in a pot), lots of cucumbers for salads @ 8 for $2.00, plus the vendor gave me a yellow seed cucumber for free, a zuccini for seed (only 50 cents), and 2 bags of carrots for only $2. My indoor onions in the water jar grew about 1 1/2 inches last night. The carrot tops in the water dish were rotting, so I threw them away; I guess the only way they've thrive is in soil. Tonight it's supposed to freeze, so I plan to pick off my garden for seed, and I will bring in some soil for sterilization, so I can plant up a few pots next week. I guess I'll have to harvest my potatoes too; I'm not sure if they will be edible, what with all the toxins in the air this summer...I harvested my basil leaves, but they made me sick, so I threw them away...I will plant only the top new growth into fresh pots of soil for my indoor garden. All of the old growth on all my garden plants is showing spots.

I bought a new men's terry/velour bathrobe at the thrift shop last week, never used...so I am saving that for a Christmas gift for one of my DS's. It was bag sale day...all you can fit into a plastic grocery bag, for only $3 per bag. So I got a pair of dress pants & 2 black tops for work, 2 large plant pots, wooden salt and pepper shakers, a fondue maker (for heating things with a candle), and the bathrobe. It was a tight fit, but I put things inside other things, and rolled and flat-folded other things, and got it all into 1 small plastic grocery bag with the plastic handles fitting snugly over the top of the bathrobe. (all this stuff was new...unused)

The grocery store has a few good deals this week...10 kg flour for $5.99 per bag, 18 eggs for $3.99, so I got a bag of flour, and hope to get another one today. I like to get these heavy sacks of food staples into my pantry well before winter, as it's a lot easier manoeuvering my walker when there isn't any snow to deal with.

Things have been so busy that I haven't had time to bake or do much cooking, but now is the time to make the most of the good deals out there, and when I'm housebound I can spend more time in the kitchen again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You found some great deals incognito! I never thought of using a fondue that way....great idea! I will have to watch for one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's been busy this week...getting the indoor kitchen garden in order. Much got done except possibly digging up 2 or 3 cucumber plants, and 2 or 3 scarlet runner bean plants...I think it could be done with the smaller cucs intact, and by just cutting off the first 3 feet of the beans, and letting them branch out again, both kinds of plants curling around 2 tomato cages indoors. The 3 tomato plants have transplanted well so far, and there are many tiny tomatoes starting up on them. The rest of the plants are in the kitchen, and a few are 'wallflowers' in my studio. I found that the plants I started in a jar of water and plant food tended to 'slime off', except for my impatiens and grapevine, so I dumped the 'slimed', and the cuttings are doing better in water alone. Most of my kitchen garden plants are now planted in soil, and so far, so good. The onions and chives are doing very well, and I trim them off every couple of days for cooking. I saved some more tomato seeds...Roma and some large tomato seeds from some Farmer's Market tomatoes.
    The worst part of all of this was sterilizing my garden soil in my oven...smelled just like cooked weiners...and no, I don't think I cooked any earthworms in the process, though I may be wrong, and I kept hearing high-pitched queals throughout the process. I'll have to cook up a few more batches of garden soil to bag up for the winter, to start my seeds in next year.

People may wonder why I'm doing all of this.
    Answer: I felt deprived of my garden after CPR wrecked it, so my 'necessity is the mother of invention' mental-motivator kicked in, plus...I just got so disgusted at having my plans wrecked, I figured I would find a way to make it work anyway, if at all possible! Might as well let my anger give me energy to work out a different solution.

What with all this activity, I haven't had time to do anything else except for my studio work...needed milk, so I'm getting the downtown errands done today.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Incognito I so look forward to your posts..u are such an inspiration... I wish I had the fortitude to do everything u do..

u found some wonderful bargains and I would have thought about the fondue pot to be used to keep things warm..

a cold has wore me down....

Please keep us informed with your journey..hugs sweetie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been reading up on the 'B. A. Kratky Hydroponic Method'.
    This looks like the easiest and least expensive way to do things.
    Will post the best videos on this source asap.
    I'd like to try growing lettuce in large Folger's coffee tubs...he sure makes it look easy!

Here's another song of power:
    Sandi Patty and Wayne Watson - Another Time Another Place - YouTube

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It sounds like your garden is thriving. finding how to do things differently to make them work is a challenge, but can be fun. I hope the hydroponics works for you. It always sounded like the easiest way to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looking forward to the links incognito. Love the idea of lettuce in Folger's tubs! I have a million of those things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie-cat View Post
    Looking forward to the links incognito. Love the idea of lettuce in Folger's tubs! I have a million of those things.

me too...uhm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Red face

Here's another one of my mistakes you can learn from:

Do not put plants in garden soil for indoor use...the soil will stink after a few days, and it's very heavy for the plant roots to handle the transplanting shock.
    I bought rough peat moss, and spent several days this week transplanting all my plants into it, and wet the peat moss with a plant food/water solution. So far, so good with the new transplanting experience for these plants. My...they have been put through a lot, haven't they? But I've learned quite a bit too.
    My lettuce seeds sprouted on the second day, and I've transplanted them into a round pot to develop their first leaves, then I'll transplant them into the hydroponic containers in the Kratky method.

Here's some pics of the method; when you click on the pic, you will be taken to that particular website of interest:
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=Kratk...&bih=571&dpr=1

And I've got lots of great tomato seeds now too.

Here's a good one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3tz5LVVR_o

Basil in the Kratky method Folgers coffee tub:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l6xHEVlQWs
    Last edited by Incognito; 09-27-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really learned a lot reading your thread. Amazing! Thanks for sharing your journey.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am learning a lot as well incognito! Thank you for sharing your links and wisdom.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another update:
    Just lately I've filled my fridge with produce from the Farmer's Market wind-up, and also got some freebies at yard sales. The onion greens in my kitchen garden are yielding well, so I've saved about $10 so far just on onion greens (they just don't quit growing). Some of the other plants are doing ok, but some of them have been slowly declining...maybe not enough light, so I'll have to move them to a bright window (bought a $2 wire shelf-unit at the yard sales which will be perfect for this). Have now collected many packets of seeds from them and from the remainder of my garden.

What with all these carrots and beets from the Farmer's Market, I've been very busy storing, baking and cooking...baked a lovely beet cake and lots of carrot muffins, made beet soup, and lots of snacking foods. So, hopefully there will be no waste.
    Have felt more strength and energy lately, so did some cleaning.

This week I had a real blessing regarding a turkey for Thanksgiving. I had bought a turkey last Christmas which had many pinfeathers left in it, so I had phoned the company to let the quality control department know about it. They very kindly sent me a $10 promotional coupon for their products. Well, I've been looking in the stores here and in the city, but have been unable to find their products anywhere for the past year. This week, I happened to go to my corner store to buy milk, when I asked the clerk if they had any of this company's product in stock, and they had 1 turkey left...which was priced at about $22.00, and after the coupon discount of $10, I bought it for only about $12.00!
    The other store had turkeys priced at about $35, and the customer had to buy $100 worth of groceries first, and then could use their $10 in-store coupon to discount the $35 turkey to $25...so I feel very delighted about the turkey deal I got at the other store.

I haven't spent much money this month...a couple of essential foods, that's all. And 2 sweet potatoes to make sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving!

And I've cut out tv viewing, except for 2-3 programs once a week, and am spending my time reading and studying my Bible, Halley's Bible Handbook and Unger's Bible Dictionary. Strength and protection for the journey!

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast