Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hiya, all;
    Hope everyone is doing well.
    I'm now on holidays, so will have time to do some of the 'To Do's on my list...baking, sewing, etc.
    Unfortunately, my hand mixer seems to be broken and is now casting out metal filings as the rotors rotate, so I have to get another mixer in order to do most of my Christmas baking. I see one on sale at a local store for about $16, half-price, so it looks like I'll have to make the investment. Might not get a turkey for Christmas this year, because the store-deal is $10 off a $24 turkey, if you spend $100 on groceries first, and food prices are ridiculously inflated during the holiday season.
    I still have $33.80 left on my budget, so will be very selective in spending...the mixer is a necessity for me...I tried hand-mixing a Johnnycake, and couldn't incorporate enough air into the margarine and sugar, and ended up with 'hardtack' instead. So, there's no point in spoiling any more baking recipes that require beating.

Snapped off a few twigs from the blue spruce on the grounds, that I prune regularly all year, and made a nice Christmas arrangement for the front entrance...stuck the twigs into a large flower planter, and added some fabric poinsettias here and there on it. Looks pretty good, and didn't cost a thing. Have got my tree up at last, and the rest of my Christmas ornaments.
    I'm still keeping the radio and tv OFF; turned the radio on yesterday to check on the weather, and was actually quite startled by the shrieking gabbling of some of the announcers trying to sell stuff for Christmas shoppers. These days, I'm also re-reading the Little House books series, as I do from time to time; right now, I'm reading "The Long Winter" again...and enjoying the pointers from Ma's home-cooking recipes.

Got my sewing projects all set up to work on asap. Went through my closet last night and made sure everything was organized, and also moved all my winter clothing to my dresser drawers this week.
    A few days ago, it was snowing hugely fluffy snowflakes, so I took a break on a busy morning, dressed up warmly, and just went sauntering around outdoors, enjoying the snowfall.

The deer are now sneaking into my backyard and up to my house at night, and trampling down my raspberry canes, and nibbling on my grapevine. Will have to get out there and set out some inverted tomato cages here and there...this really worked well the last 2 years...they didn't attempt to go anywhere that I'd set the tomato cages...to avoid the sharp prongs.

I've received some more gift cards from family...which I'm going to save and regift to my grandkids for their birthdays next year. So far, I haven't bought much food from the stores because I have lots in my storage. Chocolate buds are tempting me right now, since the store has a deal on Neilson boxes...4/$5, but so far, I've been able to resist. I bought lots of eggs, and milk...and froze 2 jugs of milk. If I can avoid the stores right now, so much the better...I won't cave in and spend any money unnecessarily.

Well, I'll close for now, and wish everyone a Very Good Christmas celebration, and God's blessings now and in the New Year! The library will be closed for a while due to the holidays, so I'm not sure when I'll be back.
    Take Care, and Happy Holidays, everyone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Glad you are enjoying your holidays but sorry to hear about your mixer! Those chocolate buds are very tempting aren't they? I hope you have a very Merry Christmas incognito!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Incognito, you are my new hero. I am also trying to avoid the stores since the holiday hype causes me to drastically over spend. Spending time just enjoying nature is so much better. Happy Holidays

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just read this entire thread.Incognito, you are a true gem. God bless you. I hope you have had a blessed Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just read it also and I am impressed...you are my kind of gal....keep it up...it's been almost three weeks since your last post and I am praying you are okay....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just a quick update, folks.
    It was a very difficult Christmas season for me and family, due to DS's work-accident, injury and amputation, and ongoing medical issues. A really bad situation. Various other problems emerged as well in the family, so I have elimated as much stress as possible in order to cope with it all mentally and emotionally. That has meant no tv, radio, internet, phoning, etc. As is my way, I usually keep big trouble to myself, because I'm the kind of person who has to process it all internally before I can discuss any of it with others, and this has all taken a big toll on me, but we go on with life as it is, and make the best of it. We are all in God's hands.
    During 2014, I am going to continue to organize my mind, with all of the newest troubles and conflicts. I find that spending time alone with God in prayer and Bible reading is what helps me most in sorting out the confusion, and finding hope and peace again.

I've been back to work for a few weeks, and things are going along as usual there. Otherwise, I am keeping at home, mostly keeping things going, and working on my craft projects in my spare time. That helps to deal with the stress of worry. So far, I've crochetted a pair of boot-slippers for myself from a few balls of yarn that has been sitting in a bag for years and years, and I'm also working on 2 more pairs of socks...one for me, and for DS3 for a birthday gift.
    Money situation is ok; I still have $15 left for the month, and my CPP (pension) is going to net an extra $2.25 per month than I originally thought, so that's a plus.
    I did my 2013 budget accounts, and I earned $500 more than expected, but spent $200 more than expected, so have a surplus of $300. However, that will mean lowering my variable monthly budget again from $150 to about $120, just to be on the safe side.

Thank-you all for your good wishes, and may we all have a good year in 2014!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Incognito,
    I just finished reading this whole thread and you are truly amazing. I love that you find your strength in the Lord and that you trust in Him for your future. You're in my prayers for a good 2014 that brings you peace and comfort.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh incognito, I am so glad to see you back. I am sorry to hear about your dear son and all that had happened over the Christmas holidays.

I hope that 2014 brings you much peace, joy and love.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What with everything that's been happening, I haven't had much time to update on the internet here on FV.
    But I want to thank eveyone for your emotional support and prayers throughout this difficult time for my family.
    Things are still very troubling, but God is our refuge...a very present help in trouble.

Goals for 2014:
    Inner Peace

Motto:
    Is this the way I want to live?

I have been asking myself this question from time to time lately...in regards to many aspects of my life.
    And it has helped me to think things through, and make decisions and changes...big and small, that have made my life better.
    One of the most difficult things for me to deal with is the toxic people in my life. I do not mean the difficulties of regular living, or with family, friends, etc. I mean those who deliberately target me in a spirit of ill will in my community. Perhaps some of you may identify with this problem. So, after long deliberation, it is time for me to LET GO. Detach emotionally, and yet pray that God's will be done in them. We do not know the inner part of a person...only God knows that, and so one of my goals for 2014 is to leave them with God to deal with. And to take His peace instead of feeling frustrated or troubled.

Another one of my goals is to enjoy life more. I've started on my spring-cleaning over this past week, and it is really nice to declutter a bit more and make home a pleasanter place to be.
    The thick sport socks I knit for myself fit well and are nice and warm. There was some yarn left over from knitting DS3's Christmas gifts (hat, socks and mitts), so I have been knitting another pair of winter socks for myself (except with black heels and toes), and I will have 3 small strands of yarn left over when I finish. It has taken quite a while, and trouble and effort to try to perfect a few good sock patterns for me and my family, but I'm getting there.
    And guess what? All of this knitting...with about 10,000 stitches going into each sock, has actually improved my hand co-ordination again, and I have recently been able to recapture some rapid hand motions which I haven't had in 6 years, since the flu shot partially-paralyzed me both sides, head to toe in 2007.
    So it looks like there's still some room in my brain for new development, because despite aging and illness, it's still happening.

Another thing that helps is listening to complex music...because the brain analyzes it and builds and rebuilds networks of cognitive functioning in hearing, comprehension and response.

How are things going for the rest of you?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast