Social Security's waiting month RANT
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Social Security's waiting month RANT

Up until last week my DH, who turns 66 the end of September, had been talking about quitting for the winter and then going back next March part-time. Then last weekend we found out that Social Security has a waiting month, which combined with his birth day at the end of the month, means he will not get his 1st social security check until around the US Thanksgiving holiday. And who knows what a holiday does to check distribution. So know he is talking about working thru November which will be a godsend if he does it.

Now I know we should be better prepared - I do have the October mortgage payment set aside but didn't plan on having to have November's also put away.

And yes I know we should be debt free but we aren't.

So essentially I am ranting at my own lack of knowledge and not being prepared.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My hubby signed up yesterday at 66. His birthday is on the 15th. It's a wait and see game. Years and years ago it used to take close to 6 months. We were hoping for next month. He didn't even get a paycheck last week and mine was cut to 10 hours. Next week doesn't look any better. Was sure hoping on next month but doesn't sound like it's going to happen does it.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

NikoSan999 - the week you get your check is dependent on the birthday. I'm not sure what week a birth day of the 15th translates into.

Thanks for the 6 month warning - things could be worse in our household than I had anticipated.

Sorry about the hours.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by debmar View Post
    NikoSan999 - the week you get your check is dependent on the birthday. I'm not sure what week a birth day of the 15th translates into.

Thanks for the 6 month warning - things could be worse in our household than I had anticipated.

Sorry about the hours.
    I don't think it takes 6 months anymore. The 6 was a long long time ago. From talking to people over the last few months 2 ( if you're real lucky ) to 3 months seems to be the norm.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It does not take 6 months. My birthday is in May. My waiting month was June. I got my first check in July. Your payday will be the 3rd Wednesday in the month. My sister in the 19th, I am the 14th and my DH is the 13th. We all get ours the 3rd Wednesday in the month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Apply 2-3 months before the birthday to start the paperwork. They advise direct deposit. Used to be they did paper checks. Have a checking account number ready to give to them. Can be done in person, online, or by phone.

First check can take anywhere between 1 to 2 months to get, depending on your age. It will go in the bank on a wednesday closest to your birthday number.

My husband plans on retiring next spring when he turns 62. When January gets here, the phone call will be made to start the process for him. I am expecting 2 months before that first check gets here. The first month is the waiting period.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I should be thanking God....I took SS at 64.....2 years ago......my birthday is beginning of June....I applied the beginning of March over the net.....they called me three days later to confirm and go over my application.......I got a check on April 3rd.....I was still working and told them I wasn't retiring till the end of May.....they told me it didn't matter, I could start collecting immediately......(of course later they tried to tell me they overpaid me & I owed them......turned out they counted my bonus and vacation towards my yearly total.....got that straightened out....they finally decided they underpaid me BUT they owed me nothing??????) SS told me I would get my check the 2nd Wednesday.....the booklet they sent said I would get it on the 2nd Wednesday of the month.......I have NEVER gotten it the 2nd Wednesday....they deposit it on the 3rd every month....if the 3rd is on a Sat. or Sunday, it is there on Friday.......I am NOT complaining....my friend gets her's anywhere from the 20th to the 27th....never the same day......weird....

Dealing with SS is a stressful situation.....I hope I NEVER have to deal with them again.....everyone tells you something different....you never get the same answer to a simple question.....

Good luck to anyone who has to deal with these people.....I swear they have a test you DON'T have to pass in order to work for them!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To avoid delays in getting your SS you should sign up a couple months in advance. They require a certified copy of your birth certificate amongst other proofs. Our automatic deposits are always on the 3rd Wednesday of the month so the actual date might vary but its always that 3rd Wednesday. Our birthdates are the 11th and 13th. Since the payments are automatically deposited holidays don't affect them.

If you have financial problems, you should have your SS deposited into an account that is for only SS and so its not commingled with other funds. That way it maintains its identity as SS and you can avoid seizure of funds by creditors.