When to downsize? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If your goal is to clear out the entire basement, you'll have to deal with that futon sometime anyway. It could just as well be now.

If you get another boarder, could he/she sleep on the hide-a-bed in the basement? It would allow you to move the futon, get rid of the saggy couch, and avoid buying a bed you won't be moving when you leave. If the hide-a-bed isn't firm enough, you could add a piece of plywood under the mattress.

You may be able to correct the saggy couch by putting a piece of plywood under the cushions to firm it up, if you decide to keep it. When it's time to get rid of it, maybe you could list it on Freecycle and someone could just come and get it so you wouldn't have to pay to get rid of it.

Don't get rid of things you use daily, even if it looks tacky. You can always throw a cover over it when you want to show the house.

A dining room chair from your set could be subbed for the chair in your bedroom. Or pick up a cheap secondhand chair at a yard sale for a couple bucks, that you wouldn't have to care if it got set out at the curb when it was time to move. There are lots of nice mismatched chairs out there for cheap, so you wouldn't even have to settle for something junky. If you have a small cedar chest or some other trunk, maybe that could go at the foot of your bed or in the space where the chair is now to replace the chair. That would also provide blanket storage. More storage is always good! Is the chair in your sewing room on wheels and easy to move? Could you put that in the bedroom and just roll it to the sewing room when you need it in there? Then you could eliminate a piece of furniture altogether.

Husby didn't want to get rid of his crappy recliner last spring. I was so sick of that ugly thing! It had a broken spring and was dirty, with no way to clean it. It was really bad. We'd had it for decades and it started out used. We found a really nice leather recliner that looked like new for $75 at a garage sale. He sat in it and said he hated it. I sat in it and loved it, so I bought it. I said I would get rid of my recliner, which had its own set of problems. He muttered and mumbled but did help the seller load it into the truck, stating he'd never sit in it. Fine by me. So we get it home and suddenly, as I knew he would, he wanted it installed in his spot. I was cracking up, but we put it in his spot. He promptly sat in it and fell asleep. After a two-hour nap, he woke up and informed me he thought it was the best sleeping chair ever. ROFL! After years of me nagging and griping about the old ugly chair, all it took to get a decent chair in the house was a little manipulation. I suppose I should feel guilty but I don't. He had plenty of chances to cooperate and face reality about how crappy the old chair really was. When we found another nice recliner at a rummage sale for $18 to replace mine a few weeks later, he happily loaded that one on the truck, too, although he did say he didn't think mine was comfortable and he didn't want to sit in it. It was a great day when we finally trashed both of the old chairs. And as it turned out, he also likes to sleep in my chair now. His only complaint about it is he didn't have a lamp to read by if he sat in it, but now that he put one next to it, he's perfectly happy to use either chair. One is soft and squooshy, one is firm, both are Laz-E-Boys, so it's nice we both like both of them. I should have put my foot down years ago.

Once the dam broke, we've been replacing old crappy furniture like crazy this year, all of it for cheap. It's been working out great. We've also been trashing a lot of furniture that isn't going to be replaced, and that's helped a lot to declutter around here. If I left it all up to Husby, we'd never get rid of anything, but once I can get him to cooperate, 99.9% of the time he likes the changes, too. He's the most change-resistant person I've ever met except for his dad, so if he can get over it, then there's hope for your husband, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the ideas SD. I'll have to mull the bedroom situation over a bit I think. You are correct. The Mission oak futon may as well come upstairs now as later. I actually talked to DH about that last night after posting. He surprised me by saying "okay".

The love seat hide-a-bed in the basement is not a normal size bed. It's really for a child. I don't think an adult would fit on it. I know I'm short (5'2") and my feet hang over the end. So I'd really rather just get rid of it. Hubby is okay with a secondhand bed for two years for a boarder.

Today I worked more on books and acquiring boxes to pack them in. Found out 3 boxes on one of the bookcases in the basement were full of books I'd already culled and not got rid of. Wished I'd known that so I could have put them out on the step for the Diabetes Association this past weekend. I asked DH to pull them, plus all the art books I culled this morning, and the art magazines, upstairs to get rid of. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet. I am ostensibly online right now looking for used bookstores in town. We don't have very many...maybe one. I also culled two boxes of homeschool/education books this morning. The bookshelves are looking a bit better, but still nowhere's near where I want them to be.

One of the problems I have is I'm a note taker. And I used to store my notes in binders. Half of one of the bookcases in the basement is binders of notes. I think I'll just toss the notes and give away the binders...or repurpose them. Now I'm wiser and take notes on my iPad with SimpleMind+ app.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've gone through all my binders of notes in the basement and on the main floor. Heaving a lot of paper and binders out the door! I've reached the hard part with the books. I'm going to sleep on it and take a break tomorrow. I do have one bookcase in my bedroom to de-clutter yet. And then there's all my hobby books, which I've been avoiding.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Keep in mind anything you repurpose still takes up space and weighs something and therefore costs money to move.

I was thinking about the chair in your bedroom you want to get rid of. Maybe you could use a small footstool beside the bed to use when you're dressing, and slide it under the bed when not in use. Just a thought.

I got the seams in Husby's office mudded. I hope they'll look okay. I'm really not good at mudding. We're buying paint tomorrow. I really want to get on with the painting because that should go quickly and then once the furniture is all in place, the sorting, purging, and organizing can be done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

True. A stool wouldn't fit under our bed though. I'm thinking I might actually keep the bedroom chair, and just get rid of the matching love seat taking up room in the living room.

Hubby is ready to get rid of his telescope. It needs a pin and he can't be bothered to buy one or have one made. He's going to offer it to the local astronomy club. He bought it for $20 at a garage sale.

He's agreed to sell his table saw. And he's agreed to sell his old encyclopedia set. The first Canadian encyclopedia ever printed. I may have more stuff, but I think DH's stuff is heavier! And therefore more costly to move.

He's also agreed to replace the sofa (get this!), THE sofa, with the futon downstairs. Which means as soon as the boarder moves out (probably this month) I can post the sofa and matching chair for sale online.

However, this means I will also have to fix the cushion in the oak Mission chair. Right now it really hurts my back to sit in that chair for more than five minutes. Hmm...maybe I should do that first. Before getting rid of the chair and matching sofa.

We discussed the best time of year to put the house on the market and move. We're thinking early spring 2017. We also discussed what we want to do to the house before selling - a coat of exterior paint and a new south fence. Our current one is falling down. Cost will be about $5000. But will make a huge difference to the curb appeal. We'll be renovating the front and back yards due to the sewer and water line replacement anyways, mostly with stuff already in the yard. It's just a case of re-arranging shrubs and filling in with annuals. So the outside should look good for sale...except our falling down garage. But it is no different than most garages in the neighborhood.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you tear down the fence and not replace it? Or do all the houses there have fences? If you can just get rid of it you could save some money. Maybe the garage could go, too. Demolition would cost but if I was the buyer, I'd consider it a plus if the space was already cleared for a new garage.

The thing we've never been able to figure out when we've discussed moving a long distance is how the timing would work. We couldn't move till our house sold, and then we'd have nowhere to move to. We know better than to buy a house online sight unseen, and if we were moving 900 miles or more, it's not going to be cheap or easy or practical to fly or drive out to look at houses more than once or twice where we'd want to move to. I really don't know how people do it. It would be simpler if we didn't have pets, and that's another reason we're cutting down on our pet population by attrition. The only thing we can think of is to move our stuff and put it in storage, rent for a while till we can find a place we want to buy, and then move everything from storage to the new house. Which wouldn't be all bad since, if we spent a year in a town we'd have a better idea if we really wanted to be there and in which neighborhood, before we got tied to a house we'd then have to sell if we hated our new area. But it's been a dilemma for us and one big reason we've decided not to pursue a move when we retire, unless something drastically changes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

BTW, if you have Google street view in Canada, it can be very helpful when looking at house listings online. You can do a 360 degree look around the neighborhood and up and down the streets to get an idea of what's around any house you're interested in. It can be enlightening. One house we were very interested in, we used street view and found out there was a huge propane company right across the street. One place had a bunch of railroad tracks close by. Etc. Sometimes there's a very good reason if the price is low!

The street view is listed on realtor.com for US listings, way at the bottom where there's a map. You have to click Street View in the lower left corner, under the map. Then you can look around. Looking at the satellite view can be very informative, too. On the US listings, it's at the upper right corner of the map and you just click Satellite. It flags the listing on the sat view, and you can zoom in or out to see how the property is oriented in relation to the rest of the town.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have an advantage. The kids don't know it yet, but we'll be landing with them for a while until we can find a decent place to rent short term. I can guarantee they'll help us find a decent place to rent real quick! Yes, our stuff will be in storage till we buy. Probably 3 - 6 months.

I'm hoping to have this place on the market in Spring and be able to buy in Fall. I hate moving in winter, but the best prices are after school starts. We've done a long distance move before. No problem. We lived in a studio apartment for a month in early winter with the girls. It was a blast! People were shaking their head about it. But we just pretended we were on a long Brownie camp out. This time will be easier, once we get out from under the kids' feet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spring 2017 that is...

Re: the fence. All the neighbours around here either have 6' cedar privacy fences or the 6' vinyl (?) fences or custom built walls (6' again). It would look very odd not to have a fence. Our fence looks very bedraggled for the neighborhood.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

"gonna be a party..." The piano is GONE!

DH and I moved the TV and stand upstairs, and the DVDs in their bookcase...out of harm's way from concrete dust. We still have some work to do downstairs to prepare for the excavators, but not much. I'm thinking of actually loading stuff in the car, ready for this coming weekend when we'll have time to drop things off to be recycled or at the secondhand stores.

Listed more stuff online for sale. Will see if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Excellent! It sounds like you're cruising on this whole downsizing project. I feel like a total slacker next to you.

I hope you can meet your timeline. I have a feeling it's going to happen sooner than you think though. Once the house starts to shape up, you both might decide to just get on with your new life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks SD. Just sold some musical hand instruments and fife for $15. The fife is worth $6 brand new, and the other instruments were anywhere from $1.50 to $20. We weren't using them. They're gone. The guy was so funny. He came for the fife, saw the other instruments laying there and said "what else have you got here?" So I did my sales pitch. He pulled out his lone extra $5 and asked if he could take everything for $15. I said 'sure'. It's all gone now. Well, except the 2 alto recorders and the soprano recorder.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Almost sold the love seat today, but met unexpected resistance from DH. He claimed he didn't know I was going to sell it. I told him it was on the list he looked at and okayed the other day. He's like "but, I said..." Well no he didn't. Because if he had said then I would have crossed it off the list. And if he said anything yesterday when I listed it, I would have taken it down. Now we have someone interested in it, he's all possessive of it.

I don't get it. It's old, it's tatty. I didn't realize it was ripped along the back where it's been rubbing against the wall. Had to update the listing. Oh well. Maybe the potential buyer will lose interest and DH can keep his ratty, tatty love seat. Man! Okay, I'm over it...

I may have to rethink all this. It's moving kinda fast for DH I think. I wanted him to take 3 boxes of books to Salvation Army thrift store on his way to work. He resisted, not because of not enough time (he went in at noon), but because 'did you make sure all the names are crossed out of the books?'. Um, no. They're my mother's books. She's not from this province and she's been dead ten years. Why bother? In the end he took one box of books with him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

On the plus side, I cashed the cheque for the piano and told DH he had money to repair his laptop now. But NOT to buy anything else for it because the leftover money is going to fix the oak Mission chair.

And a nice touch, the guy who bought the piano emailed me saying it arrived safely and thanked me for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's a process. I know I've said that before. And I don't think the two people in a couple are usually on the same page about dumping excess stuff, either, which complicates the whole issue even more.

Maybe you could trade off one week or a couple weeks focusing on your stuff that he won't care if it goes, with a week of working on stuff you both have to agree on and give him a little break while it all settles. He might feel better if stuff isn't going out of the house so quickly. I would also still get out or ask about one or two things of his now and then that you'd like to see go, with no pressure to make him get rid of anything, just maybe a short, non-judgmental, non-critical reason why you think it might be better to let a thing go. It gets easier to purge stuff and if he can get started doing it, it'll make life so much easier for both or you. It's unlikely he'll start on it without a nudge though. (But of course I could be all wrong about that.) He may not respond favorably when you ask about getting rid of something, but you'll still be planting seeds and he might think it over and just decide to let some of the things you mention go later without a fight.

It took me ten years at least to get Husby used to the idea of getting rid of stuff, and especially throwing away stuff that's still usable. I'm still shocked to the core he dumped several hundred cassette music tapes recently, when I had only mentioned in passing it might be good to think about letting them go since it's outdated technology. Next thing I knew, he had two big bags that fifty pounds of corn comes in, stuffed full of tapes, ready to go to the dump. He said later it really hurt to toss them at the dump, but he knew what I said was true. I just said it was a good choice because dumping the tapes made more space for CDs he's going to want to keep, and that I was proud of him for letting them go. And I am.

We had a few of those moments at our sale, about stuff he had agreed to let go and then when it got unloaded at the sale, he didn't recall agreeing. It happens. We just worked through it. Most of it he did agree to again. We pulled off a propane lantern for emergency use in case of power failure, and a cooler. Everything else, he was okay with once we had discussed it again. It's a lot to keep straight in his mind especially if he isn't that excited about the whole idea of letting stuff go in the first place, and things are moving fast and you're discussing so many different things.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast