When to downsize? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I came to that conclusion after venting here. I decided to work on my own stuff for a while. I went through my fibre dyes and culled a bunch of stuff. Listed it on FB on our local spinners and dyers guild page. Will see what happens.

It made room for the printer paper and ink in the drawer unit beneath the printer. I'm slowly emptying out a bookcase in the dining room. It's damaged and I want to sell it or toss it. Haven't decided which yet.

Also listed some teddy bears I inherited from my mom online. And culled the games. I'll have to wait for him to check those over though, before they get listed or donated.

My goal with my dyeing equipment and supplies is to get it down in size to fit one wooden camping box that is 18" x 36". I'm not sure I can do it, as some of my dye pots are quite large. But I'm going to try. To start with I was working on the extra dyes today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No response from the Weavers and Spinners Guild. I'm guessing they don't really keep up with their FB page. So I listed the dyes on Kijiji.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut, I am so impressed w/ all you are accomplishing. I am not ready to move yet (figure 10 years down the road) but my goal is to have the closets mostly empty of things we don't really use and reap a little cash in the process. I did a yard sale in the spring, I will do one again next spring. It is difficult to separate hubby from his "things" too. I was surprised when he parted w/ some things for the sale last spring.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had an email exchange with DD#2 and she commented that some people don't handle change as well as others, even if they know it's inevitable and needs to happen. She's right. DH and she have always been the ones in the family resistant to change.

dlrcpa: you sound like you have a plan and a method of getting there. You'll reach your goal eventually with that plan. My goal of clearing out the entire basement is not totally realistic. We do, after all, have to house a boarder down there. And then there's the utility room. That's a garage sale and bonfire waiting to happen! But that's for later. For now I'm working on the family room area...and today, while the sewer and water lines are being taken out, I'm working on the main floor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For sure some people handle change better than others. And I think it's harder for almost everyone the older they get. We get comfortable in our lives, even if we're putting up with negatives about the living arrangements, no matter what's wrong with them. We adjust to the negatives and often don't even realize how bad they are, until we get into a better situation and can then look back.

Clearing out the basement completely might not be totally realistic, but you can completely clear out certain areas (and turn into a crap Nazi so those spaces don't get filled up again, which would be my biggest problem.) The boarder's room can be an exception, and furnished totally with stuff you don't plan to move, so it'll be as good as cleared out completely. The utility room can still be purged and downsized. You'll get to all of it in time.

Maybe you can use the basement family room to organize garage sale items so they're ready to go in the spring. You may need to have more than one sale, btw. We had seven the summer we moved from town out here to the lake. It was fairly easy then because we left things set up in the garage and added stuff each week. We lived on one of the main streets in town so didn't have to advertise, just put out a sign and opened the doors. It worked out great. Of course it helped that we had four kids at home yet to serve as gofers, so they helped out a lot.

My advice, which of course is unsolicited again, is to spend a couple hours a week dealing with things that are hard for you to sort. It'll be sheer torture and maybe sort of paralyzing if you do everything else and then have only the hard stuff left, and maybe have to do it in a hurry if the house sells faster than you anticipate or your moving date comes earlier for some reason. Doing it a little at a time might be easier, and less of an emotional drain. Besides, you'll most likely have to go through it more than once, so being able to do it over a longer time period would probably help so you have more time to think about things.

Then again, maybe it's like ripping off a Band-Aid, doing it quick and painful might be easier in the long run.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree about not seeing the negatives after a while of living with them SD. This oak Mission chair is a classic example. I picked it up for $10 at the local Salvation Army Outlet 20 years ago. The seat cushion has been bad for about 10 years. But we don't use the chair, so we never bothered to replace it. Now I'm thinking of using it as one of the chairs to stage the living room, I want it fixed. Means I'll have a comfortable chair for my back too.

On that note. I visited a friend this morning and she recommended a lady who could fix the seat cushion. She phoned her right then and there and handed the phone to me to talk to her! The upholsterer was very nice. She says she's going on a road trip to another city to get some good quality foam not available locally anymore. She's coming over Monday with a cushion from her Mission chair to see if it will work for my back. If so, then she'll pick it up while she's gone and bring it back, cut to size, for our chair! AND, get this, as an aside, she said "Oh by the way, if you're ever thinking of selling the chair, put me on your potential buyer list."!!! Which would be great, because I don't really want to move that chair. I want all new furniture in our new place, wherever that might be. Maybe she'll want the futon too. That would solve how to clear out the heavy furniture after the house sells.

It's also a good idea to use the basement family room as a prep room for a garage sale. Also could be used as a clearing house of sorts, for things leaving the house. Hmmm...

Re: splitting the hard stuff up over time. Yeah. I kinda started doing that. I took a box up to my sewing studio and went through the sewing and quilting books. It was hard. What I really need to do is go through the magazines. That will take effort. But they are heavy and so not worth moving.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What's of value in the magazines? Do you look at them? If you haven't looked at them in a long time, maybe just dump them without looking. If you did that you probably wouldn't miss them. If you look through them, you'll find approximately 9,323,427 items of interest that'll make you not want to part with them. Just sayin'.

You'll be shocked when you find out how much foam cushions cost. We went to buy a hunk of foam for an antique chair my mom wanted redone and it would have been something like $60, and that's NOT CAD. We couldn't believe it. I rummaged through my foam collection and gave her two pieces of mine to use.

If you're talking about foam that sits on a board and not springs, don't be surprised if nothing makes it comfortable. Our couch is like that and it always starts to hurt me after a while.

That's nice the cushion lady might want to buy your chair. That would be a big help, if she sticks to it.

I was just looking at houses just for giggles, in Wyoming and South Dakota. I really don't want to move! We'd never be able to get back what we have now. I guess I should use that as incentive to improve my health as much as possible, and hope nothing drastic happens. Although of course bad things can always happen. Still, it's in my power to make my odds of avoiding a serious health issue a little less likely. The only reason we'd move at this point is for better health care and/or to get out from under the maintenance here. But we can hire things done and Husby is more receptive to that idea lately, since I started refusing to do some of this stuff the past couple years. So we'll be hiring a plumber to put in the new bathroom vanity and install the new kitchen faucet and stuff like that. That will help us a lot to age in place, and hiring someone to cut down some trees and of course didn't reshingle the place ourselves.

I've read some stats about how many people move for retirement and was surprised the percentage was so low in the US, something like 3%. I always thought it was much higher. Of course a lot of people move seasonally for the winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No...i haven't used the magazines, but I'm full of good intentions! They are industry specific magazines...rug hooking with technique articles, needlework with small kits included, Quilting Arts, etc. I've already culled them once a few years ago.

The excavators are still here and it's 5:30 PM. They've had lots of problems today. The guy in charge of the kids doing the work, and also driving the backhoe, said he hasn't seen such a difficult situation in all his 20 years of doing this. I ran to the local library to use the washroom after a 2 hour nap. Next up is to decide what to do for supper. If there's no water here and no sewer services, I'm not eating here. ...DH just came up to say they are hooking sewer and water up in the basement. He's gone outside to see how the other end of the line is coming.

Yeah, this lady said it would be under $100 to fix the seat cushion, but I really want her to look at the situation and see if the support system underneath can be changed back to the straps that were there before. I suspect they don't make those straps anymore. Seems to me we ran into that when we were trying to replace them years ago. Which is why we tried cloth straps (didn't work) and then plywood.

Not many people move in retirement because it's expensive. Estimates for moving us are around $15,000 at the moment. That's for a 4 bedroom house. We are, but we're packed to the gills. So time to release some stuff to the world and get down to what a normal 4 bedroom house would have!

We have a lot of Snowbirds, we call them, up here. They fly or drive south to Florida or the southern States for the winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, they're snowbirds here, too. My mom used to be one. She and my stepdad used to winter in Arizona.

Do you ever think about techniques for stuff like rug hooking and think you're probably not going to change how you already do things very much? Maybe it's age but that's what I've been thinking lately about my own stuff. Not that I'm opposed to learning new things. It's more that I have enough to do already of things I really enjoy. Besides, I figure if I want to learn something new, I can look on the internet. I had lots of quilting books and realized I would never really get into quilting, most likely. What would I do with the stuff I made? So I let most of those go. I'm one of those people who hate to let stuff go, just in case I decide to be interested in it later, so I have to give myself a little reality check now and then. It makes it easier to let go. And I also give myself permission to make mistakes and then buy back things if I let something go I shouldn't have. I've dumped thousands of items over the past few years and truly regretted maybe four or five. I think I've actually replaced two.

It's also helped me to remember that each item I keep is one more project that stays on the to-do list and keeps my workload too high. Sometimes I look at stuff and think about the hours it would take me to make it, and I just can't get rid of it fast enough. Or I think about the work and realize I don't love something enough for it to be worth the work it's going to take to get it usable. I dumped soooooo much crap out of the garage a couple years ago just by looking at what I had out there waiting to be repurposed or rebuilt or whatever. That was the year I concluded I don't HAVE TO do something, just because I can. It's been a good decision for me.

Here's the 'bathroom' I just installed in my office, since we don't have water out there.

We lived in that building for three months when our house was being built and didn't have water. Since then I ripped out the composting toilet, used a little tiny Porta Potti on a riser I built for it for years, and recently upgraded to the fancy-shmancy new Porta-Potti Curve, which is residential height and has electric flush. I'm living large now! LOL. I recently built the shelves from a $5 end table I cut in half the long way, and added a small roasting pan (not pictured) for a washbasin and the laundry jug for a 'faucet.' I love this arrangement! Maybe I told you about my office bathroom already. If so, sorry for the repeat. But I'm glad to have the new bathroom out there, since if we lose power here, we don't have water or septic but now have the Porta Throne as an emergency backup. I think having a Porta Potti, even a little cheap one, is a good idea for emergencies. It's one of those things I feel like I should have thought of years ago. Although of course if we lived in town yet we wouldn't need one there.

I added nylon webbing straps under a chair cushion on an easy chair we had and used that for years. Why didn't the cloth straps work on yours? What was wrong? Maybe I can help you trouble-shoot if you're interested in trying straps again.

Moving is expensive, but lots of people can afford it, so I don't think that's why so few people do. More likely it's that they don't want to leave their homes or families or friends, if the family is still in town. IMO, anyway. Who knows?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No, I hadn't seen photos of your office bathroom before. What a cool setup!

The problem was the nylon straps stretched too much and didn't provide enough support for my back. The plywood has gone the opposite way and is too hard for my back. Any ideas how to go in-between? I'm going to pick the brain of the upholsterer on Monday too.

A lot of people here don't move because of family and friends, but also health care. It's a PITA to move and settle into a new location in Canada. NS takes 1 - 2 years just to get a family doctor. I'll be going in in a different situation. I have family down there already. One of their doctors might see me. Or my sis, who is a doc, might see if one of her friends can see me. I also already have diagnoses that require immediate ongoing attention. That might help as well. Still, I suspect I'll be spending a lot of time in the ER waiting to see a doctor. That's what usually happens in those situations.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have four more boxes to go to the thrift store.

DH is off Tuesday, so I have the car to take my quilting and sewing books I culled to a stitching group and sell them cheap $2 for hardcover and $1 for softcover.

Nothing seems to be selling on Kijiji. Hmm...may have to axe prices like crazy. My OBO isn't even pulling in buyers. To be honest, there aren't that many people looking either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There, got in and changed prices a bit. We'll see if anything moves.

DH loaded 4 or 5 boxes in the car to drop at the Salvation Army today. Tuesday I'll load another few boxes in the car to take to the stitching group.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The boxes and a bag of stuff have been dropped off at the Salvation Army Thrift Store. Re-organizing what's left.

Making decisions on damaged furniture. DH is hard on furniture, for some reason. His sofa is sagging in the middle. The love seat is ripped along the top of the back where he's been jamming it against the wall before plopping in it. The bookcase wasn't wrapped properly before moving and has a big dent in the middle shelf... Got to figure out how to get rid of this stuff. I may just have to call some guys to haul it all to the dump.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Is there any chance of maybe visiting NS to see whats there and around there? Even for a week? Maybe slush fund money for the trip. I think I would want some kind of a working knowledge of what's what in a place I was seriously contemplating moving to unless there was no other option. Just wondering if it's possible for you to do that.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have one of those special furniture strap-stretching pliers, so I put the straps on my chair with those. You could use a regular plier if it had a sort of rounded head. Leave the straps long enough so you can get a good grip on the end you want to use the plier on, grab onto it, and use the round part of the head to get some leverage. It might depend on how the chair is made if you can use the plier or not. It's hard to explain how to do it. Here's a video using a stretcher, which is about the same thing. The strap stretcher I have has rectangular jaws and a foot to provide leverage to get the strap to stretch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_VQ...YdwDQ3dqTjvhwq

I've heard the health care in Canada is terrible. It's too bad, since you people seem to pay a lot for it. The surgeon who treated my mom's broken arm a few years back was Canadian. He left Canada because of the health care system there. He had, at that time, recently brought his mom to Minnesota for a brain scan because the wait in Canada was over six months. He figured if she had a tumor she'd be dead by then. If you started now looking for a doctor, would that speed things up at all? I suppose you can't because you won't know exactly where you want to live till you get there.

Niko makes a good point. We've spent a lot of time looking around various towns we were/are/might be interested in retiring to, especially around Spearfish, South Dakota. We're not even close to having an idea where we would want to go, because we're still interested in some other places in the Black Hills (western SD, Spearfish and south to the border) and in Wyoming. I know you said you lived there before, but it's amazing how towns change over the years. That's quite a drive though, 2,600 miles through Canada or 2,800 through the US (might be cheaper even though it's further, gas prices here vs. there and all), and it's the same problem we have when trip planning out east, no good way to get around the Great Lakes, north or south of the border. Still, I wouldn't move to a place I haven't visited to give it a thorough look-see. Visiting somewhere as a tourist is way different, IMO, than visiting as a prospective resident.

All this talk of travel just makes me want to go somewhere. The furthest we got from home all year was only about 120 miles. No fun at all. But I'd still rather be home with our elderly dog than traveling without her, so I'm not really complaining. She's worth the sacrifice. The furthest our camper went this year was across the yard.

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to get rid of all the furniture yet, if you're going to be there another year and a half. Stuff like a dent in the bookcase maybe can be covered with a doily and the bookcase used for staging, etc. Don't get rid of it unless it's really bad and you're sure you won't need it before the move. You don't want to end up having to buy stuff back and then get rid of it to move or have to pay to move it. If something is comfy but old or damaged, well, you've used it thus far, might as well keep it till just before you move. And if you look at the pics online at realtor.com, you might notice a lot of the houses staged on there do not have super nice furniture, a lot of it is older and crappy, but it still gives buyers an idea of what the rooms look like with something in them. I don't think most people go out of their way or spend much money to do staging, since buyers are bright enough to realize no matter how nice it looks, they're not going to pay more for nice-looking furniture they're not going to get with the house.

I wish my crystal ball wasn't on the fritz. It would sure be nice to know what's in our future, so we could plan accordingly. I'd even let you guys use it if it was working!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast