mixing saving retirement w/ frugality. How much is too much?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default mixing saving retirement w/ frugality. How much is too much?

We are starting very late to invest for retirement. Because: kids/accidents/sheer stupid or whatever. Now i am on super squirrel and dont want to spent anything. Still rocking the 13 yr. old van that now has a bad wheel bearing in the back and a louder exhaust,very bad rust,and an older furnace we have replaced more parts on. I know DH is stressed as he's still on contract w/ iffy health and another leg surgery coming up. I dont feel I can work for health reasons. We put a lot in this year but are still far beyond. I guess I am wondering how those in our spot mediate things. I am eating in and cooked Thanksgiving from loss leaders and stockpile. I really question what i want to do about Christmas. We are risk takers ATP so not sure what else to do. Still debt free for 6 yrs. now

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know what the health issues are that you are faced with... But I would revisit if you really couldn't work, simply because there are so many different ways to make money. Perhaps a traditional job isn't for you, but that doesn't mean there isn't something else out there you could do, especially online as well.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am wondering exactly what the question is. I think you'd have to be pretty extreme to be "too frugal". How much is "too much" retirement savings - answer is probably pretty high. I think the big question is what health care will cost 10-15-20 years down the road and I think that's impossible to guess. So as much "savings" as possible would be my answer. The advantage of "retirement account" is tax savings and possible employer match on 401K. 401K money is also protected from creditors although IRA money is not.