Are you less tolerant of crowds than when you were younger?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Are you less tolerant of crowds than when you were younger?

I find myself being less tolerant of crowds than when I was younger. I am currently 51. I have always been pretty introverted. I have never been fond of big crowds of people, but I feel like I used to tolerate them better than I did before. I felt like living in a big city with lots of nice attractions was worth dealing with the crowds.

I find myself enjoying the attractions less than before when their are lots of other people there.

Now, I feel like I want to move to someplace with a lower population density after I retire. My husband feels the same way. We are not thinking of a small town. The cities I have considered are all mid-sized to large cities in the Midwest or South. But compared with the high population density and huge urban sprawl of the east coast they really are much less crowded.

I was talking to someone yesterday who is a little older than me. He said that since he got older he feels less desire to go to events, like concerts and sports games, that have big crowds.

Is this common as you grow old? Or was I just lucky enough to find two other people who think the same as me.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes I am the same. rather go in off seasons or quiet times. concerts etc only a few I would go too. I will go if I have no option and have to be in a crowd. but somethings are crowds but not as bad as others. like going to a theatre to see a concert or show because everyone has seats rather then pushed into a field. kinda like staying up late..is it worth it lol

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Undoubtedly my tastes have changed as I got older. When I was young and single I went around with a group of other singles. I went to rock concerts where being part of the crowd was part of the experience. I lived in a crowded apartment with several other people to save expenses. When I had no car I was glad I lived in a city with buses and trains, even if they were crowded. The alternative was not being able to get to work or school, or anyplace else.

Now that I'm married, I do things with my spouse. We live in a quiet suburb in our own house. We have the luxury of a private vehicle. If I want to hear a new album I look it up on youtube and enjoy listening to the music and not a bunch of screaming fans.

I don't know that my tolerance for crowds is changing as much as my overall life has evolved into something quite different than it was 30 years ago. Now I have choices that I didn't have when I was younger.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It depends. I really appreciate having my own car and living on my own in a comfortable cottage. I also enjoy going to the movies or the theater a few times a year. I take a trip annually, and it's fun to ride the bus, train, and boat with other people. I usually socialize with them, too, which I enjoy. I am always relieved to get home and to relax with my dog, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've always lived in a small town or in the country. But crowds don't bother me, if simply talking about lots of people around. But keep in mind that I am 70 and things have changed over the decades. What does bother me is that I have lost most of my hearing and the crowd noise completely overwhelms any conversation that I might try to have. I also have trouble driving at night, so don't go out for many night events.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have definitely changed as I've gotten older though at 63, I refuse to say that I'm old as of yet. lol

Anymore I do not like going places where there will be crowds and so I don't. Things like amusement parks to me used to be fun but they just aren't now to me and the same with fairs (too many people crammed in a small area.)

Another thing I really do not like and that is events such as weddings, bridal showers, baby showers and such ... I never did care for them but now just don't go if I don't have to. I am not comfortable because obviously chances are other than family members, I wouldn't know anyone else and this alone has gotten much worse the older I get.

Wow, I just realized ... I sure don't sound like a very fun person any more, do I? Oh well, I guess - I yam, what I yam.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would prefer to skip the crowds if at all possible these days, but overall I don't mind them much. This is of course dependent on whether or not I was prepared for a crowd. Concerts, festivals, amusement parks, so on and so forth I'm aware that crowds will be there, so I expect them. I'm mostly less tolerant of people who either deliberately or mindlessly impede the movement of crowds than I am of the crowds themselves. If you need to check your phone or tie a shoe or something, get out of the way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am 72 and I use to love the concerts, the parties, flea markets, etc. People didn't bother me.......now I don't want to be in a crowd....I am much more aware of germs (no immune system).
    The way the world is today is scary so I am always aware of my surroundings...when I go to a restaurant, I always check for the exit and know how to get out.....I don't live in fear, I am just much more aware then I use to be.
    I don't want to get dressed up and go to parties.....I may feel great at noon but by six pm I may be dragging and feel like crap...…so I am careful about invitation I accept.

I guess I have turned into a homebody....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't like crowds and never did. I tolerated them when younger but didn't like. Now even less.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not a fan of crowded places and never have been. I am thankful that I can do all my shopping and errands at hours that are not crowded. We like go to the zoo weekly to walk. We went everyday to see which days was the least crowded and now that is zoo day. We dont enjoy traveling anymore because people are just different. We like being home.

I also have hearing loss and it does make it harder when in a situation with lots of background noise. i guess we just adapt to what is best for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree Earlybird…..I don't like being in crowds....too many crazies around.....I am deaf in one ear and I too, find it hard to recognize sounds and where they are coming from. I guess I am just more aware then when I was in my 20's and let's face it, we live in a scary world.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't like crowds anymore either. I think that's why we buy so much from amazon these days. I even order online from kohls and just run in and pick it up later. I'm starting to think more of ordering my groceries online now. We rarely go to the movies anymore and when we do, it's like the first showing when there aren't many there. The world is getting too scary for me. I like staying home more and more.