Financial counselor?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Financial counselor?

Hi. I'm posting here because I thought someone my age or older might be able to advise me. To summarize my situation, I am in my mid-40's and DH is about to turn 50. He is scheduled to retire in four years from a government job with a retirement system. I have had carpal tunnel off and on for about 15 years and tendonitis in my arms/wrists for about 2 years. Because of the CTS, I was fired for medical reasons from a government job about 12 years ago, and have had another government job for the past 5 1/2 years. I am finally vested in the retirement system, which would begin to pay me a small amount upon turning 65. In the meantime we have been building a house "as we go" and are about 90 to 95% finished. We have tried to live mostly off of DH's income and put mine in savings, which we used recently to pay off our small mortage. We have no debt and haven't been on a vacation in almost a decade. Because of the physical pain and other stress at my job, I want desperately to quit and be at home. I have spent some weekends resting up enough just to be able to get through another week. This has gone on for so long and my heart is not in my work and I don't like who I have become. I am burned out in every way. DH says he wants to see a financial counselor before I quit work to help us plan retirement. Needless to say, we're not the type to have "portfolios" or buy stocks, etc. We live in a rural area and I don't have a clue how to go about finding the right kind of counselor, since we don't need counseling about how to get out of debt. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can find consumer tools and a search option at:

http://www.fpanet.org/

Look under Public Services. You can narrow your search to just those specializing in retirement planning.

The Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards has a free resource kit and an option to check on the disciplinary history of CFPs.

http://www.cfp.net/learn/requestkit.asp

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe you could try Dave Ramsey's website, and email someone there. He has financial counselors that should be able to help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the responses, y'all. I'll look into those.