What's the greatest thing about being a third ager in your book? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We still have both DSs at home (14 & 15). However, it IS nice to be able to go out as adults and not have to worry about a babysitter!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love not having the presure and responsibility of taking care of the kids. They both turned out great and I would not hesitate to do it all over again. Besides we see the grandkids almost as much as we saw our own, so I don't really feel like an empty nester.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sometimes it is the peace and stillness of the house that I like. I have 2 dogs and they are SOOOO sleepy in the mornings. They aren't old dogs but just have their routine. I work but am on summer hols and it has been lovely watching them snooze the morning away. My DSS x2 come at weekends (so will be here from this evening) and then I enjoy the extra comings and goings....then on Mon morning all will be quiet again!! I go back to work at the end of next week so this thread has actually made me sit up and take notice of what I enjoy most - my quiet mornings!
    W

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Im almost there. At least my oldest who's turning 15 in Sept. babysits when we need him. And me and hubby get to do coffee more often. I just turned 36 last Saturday so Im getting there. A little bit of freedom is better then none at all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a "third ager" but my kids are still rather young and still in school. I do like the freedom of them getting older though and love that they are basically independent in caring for themselves (yay! no more diapers!!), but have to say, now that my daughter is 15 I find myself missing her as a baby now that she has her own "life."

My little guy is 9 and I enjoy watching him turn into a "little man."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OH! I thought of another great thing about this age--at least for me.

I notice I feel SO much more comfy in my own skin. Like I don't doubt myself, and wonder and worry when I don't see things or DO things the way others do them. I'm much easier on myself and more 'live and let live' with others, too.

I also like who I am more. I like my body (which used to be a concern all the time--diets and exercise and --wow) because it is healthy and fairly strong and I can work hard and not have any trouble with that. It may not be perfect and is a bit overweight, but so what? I love every stretch mark that carrying my beautiful sons left on me. I DESERVE every line on my face. I smiled and laughed and cried, and PUT them there.

I'm happier than I've ever been.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in my 60s and I love my age! I am so much more comfortable with myself, I like myself better...I don't feel I have to compete or keep up with anyone...I'm just myself. I am not so critical of myself and how I look any more...now I look in the mirror and instead of seeing all my defects/flaws, I say hmm...not too bad for my age and get on with enjoying life! I have to admit I don't move quite so fast these days...I do have some aches and pains...but I know they can happen at any age, just more likely as we get older. But for the most part I feel pretty good, and keep active. Besides, I'm retired and I'm not in a hurry...and btw, I love my gray hair!

I too love not having to be responsible for kids any more! I love that I can finally do what I want when I want. I have a wonderful dh and we have lots of fun together!

Wonder if I'm the oldest here? I often am but when I've tried the 60+ groups online, I often feel too young. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm looking forward to no more menopause and periods. I still have one child at home who may never leave! I want peace and quiet and clean and uncluttered home. I want to sleep in and not have to go anywhere and not answer the phone if I don't feel like it.

Registered User Droppedonmyhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love that I can do exactly what I want to do and don't have to account to anyone for it. I don't have to impress anyone. I can live my life the way I want to live it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am totally excited about my life now. Ok, I am still in debt, my credit sucks(mostly my fault), I don't have a job, and I think my unemployment ends in December. Yet, I am excited because for the past decade, I have had a chronic fatigue condition, I don't know specifically which one. It got really bad this year, right before my mom died, but got even worse once I moved from Minnesota to Tennessee, probably not worse, but I stopped drinking caffinated beverages, so my overwhelming fatigue just took over. So in the course of treating my daughter for an infection, I found a cure for that, seriously, I feel better than I did when I was 30. The best part, but not the part I am most excited about is I might even lose weight by treating my chronic fatigue condition, it is certainly a possibility now that I have the energy to move around more than from my bed, to the computer station, to the couch and back to bed again. Anyway it was all accidental. I made my daughter sauce of garlic lots of garlic, onions, and tomatoes and put it over some pasta. She was too sick to eat it, the infection practically closed her throat. So, I ate that and surfed for a way to get the garlic in her. Anyway, while I was working furiously to get as much garlic in my daughter I was eating quite a bit, now a week my energy is coming back. I still have a long way to go, but I am sure I am on the right track. Now I just have to figure out a way to get the word out and hopefully be able to generate some income as well.

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by maryea View Post
    I'm in my 60s and I love my age! I am so much more comfortable with myself, I like myself better...I don't feel I have to compete or keep up with anyone...I'm just myself. I am not so critical of myself and how I look any more...now I look in the mirror and instead of seeing all my defects/flaws, I say hmm...not too bad for my age and get on with enjoying life! I have to admit I don't move quite so fast these days...I do have some aches and pains...but I know they can happen at any age, just more likely as we get older. But for the most part I feel pretty good, and keep active. Besides, I'm retired and I'm not in a hurry...and btw, I love my gray hair!

I too love not having to be responsible for kids any more! I love that I can finally do what I want when I want. I have a wonderful dh and we have lots of fun together!

Wonder if I'm the oldest here? I often am but when I've tried the 60+ groups online, I often feel too young. LOL
    What a wonderful post! I love your attitude. I hope I can feel the same as I "grow up",

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I`m 51 I like my life. I do what I want when I want. and go where I want.
    I`m retired.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think for me its the more relaxed pace of life.

when hubs and I married (12 years ago).. our families blended to equal 6 kids.... 3 full time during the school year and all 6 of them full time in the summer.... we were so busy with kids activities...and loving every minute of it.

Kid stuff along with my full time job as an RN working nights as well as hubs being a full time Army National Guardsman (yes, it was his Mon-Fri job along with the weekend a month and 2 weeks during the summer). Made for some very tired adults.

Now we are down to the 16 year old DD at home and she does her own laundry, cleans her own room and makes dinner once a week. (not abusing her, just preparing her for adult life...*smile*) We, as a couple, have found time to reconnect, to go and do things together... and its nice.

We are planning/hoping to make a trip to Ireland for our 15th anniversary in 2010.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    avatar graphic courtesy of "graphics by Irene"
    proud wife to George recently retired Army National Guardsman
    Mom to Derek (22), Drew (28) & Cady (16)

stepmom to Curtis (24), Ashlee (22) & Lindsey (20)
    gramma to Alex (angel baby 2006) & {soon to be} AJ (due Nov 10)
    furmom to Mabel Sue , Missy May , Sammi & multiple outside kitties

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~need knocking out our debts... one at a time~

Total Debt:
    (now) 99,309.70 / (was) 131,598.73
    House: 59,888.02 / 75,500.00
    04 Ranger: 10,860.52 / 21,793.50
    07 Focus: 20,947.56 / 20,947.56
    95 Aspire: 3,748.32 / 3,748.32
    Cub Cadet: 1,005.93 / 4,200.00
    WaMu CC: 1,991.43 / 1,991.43
    SSI: 300.00 / 2,700.00
    Vet: 567.92 / 717.92

how did we let it get this far???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emergency Fund - 3,534.34/ 5,000
    silver jar - 7.20
    penny jar - 1.25
    Fall Fling - 0/1000 things flung (by 30 Nov)
    weight loss : 0/#67 lost (start 25 Oct 07)
    Oct. eat at home days - ?/31
    Oct. grocery challenge - ?/500

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

~ Peace and quiet.
    ~ Being able to get together with my friends and have my own life without having to work around other people's schedules.
    ~ Having time with DH to sort out problems and just generally get closer. And that's not just physically!LOL
    ~ Uninterrupted time to work on projects.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My DD actually still lives at home, but at 27 has her own life.

I enjoy the quiet, and the fact that I can generally do things on my own schedule, can spend a full day reading or gardening if I choose. Can eat what I want when I want - even if it's just popcorn or ice cream for dinner.

I thoroughly enjoyed being a Mom to my daughter and would not trade one minute of it (even the difficult times), but I also enjoy this slower pace. I feel so fortunate to have had so much.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast