What's the greatest thing about being a third ager in your book? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll admit, I'm kinda excited.

Dd leaves for college in another state in a few weeks. Had her young and haven't really got to do the 'couple thing'. The hubby and I are sorta looking forward to exploring and doing our own thing by ourselves.

I know I'll enjoy not having to pick up constantly, have the cabinets bare after a week, the mood swings of a teen, the explaining of where I'm going and why. I'll admit it, I'm looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to how much I can also lower the electric bill, water bill, grocery amounts. Give me the challenge!

I also like my quiet, too. That will be different.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile A Little Scared, But Loving It

Hi, I'm 58 and just retired. I was really scared to do it, as I had no pension plan at work, just a 403b. Plus, I loved my job (teaching high school). So I saw no real reason to retire. But Hubby retired last year from teaching, and then I began to hate getting up early and spending my nights and weekends grading and planning. I still loved the teaching, but the rest suddenly grew old. Best step I ever took was talking to a financial planner who showed us that with our savings, I could comfortably retire. Can't get all foolish with spending, but then we rarely are foolish that way. I used to get up in the dark, drive to school in the dark, and come home in the dark. What a joy to wake up to natural light, eat a leisurely breakfast (instead of gulping coffee on the road), take a walk, watch a TV show, shop during the day when it's not so crowded, have friends over to brunch on a weekday. I love the freedom of taking a nap when I get tired. Let me tell you though, I really had withdrawal from working full time. Every fall since I was 5 years old, I had gone to school. To NOT go to school in the fall was a huge step. I would look at the clock, and think, the kids are now going to period 3. I went back to school to visit, and it was so great to see my dear friends and colleagues, but it seemed somewhat foreign, also, to hear them talking about things which no longer concerned me. I am now teaching just 4 hours a week at a local university, and that is just enough to keep my love of education going, but still enjoy the pleasures of retirement. As many of you have said, it's a wonderful time to reconnect with Hubby and just enjoy the little wonders of life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read 14 books every two weeks. Troll the internet, work on political campaigns, hang with my kids and my friends or just sit and contemplate my navel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hubby and I were discussing this not to long ago. DD at home just turned 15 in November, so we have 3 years until she's 18. Don't get me wrong, she's a wonderful kid, but we would love the freedom of taking off on a vacation anytime we want during the year without worrying about school. And yes, I know our utilities and food bill will go down quite a bit as well. You would be surprised how much electricity, hot water and food a teenage girl can consume, not to mention the clothes, hair care products & makeup. Well, some of you know. It's down right scary sometimes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel that I'm truly getting wiser as I grow older. I don't sweat the small stuff, I don't care so much about what others think. I care about my appearance, but I no longer obsess over it. I've become more spiritual. Also, despite age making me a higher risk for health problems, I'm no longer the hypochondriac I was when I was younger... I understand now that it's all in God's hands.

When my kids were little, I used to wonder how I would ever manage to let them go. I think God created teenagers as a survival mechanism for mothers. After the teenage years, it becomes quite a bit easier!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have to say after 6 years of having my empty nest it just gets better and better. I will reinterate that I loved, loved having my kids at home and mourned so deeply when they flew the coup but now.....wow. I've never had such freedom and the fun that Gripey and I have is priceless. It's really a wonderful time of life like so many have said. If you're coming up on a future empty nest......don't worry---be happy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love having my bathroom back. We have 2 bathroom's and now my hubby has one and I have one. I LOVE IT. We had 5 girls, so you have to know what I am talking about. And also when the phone rings, it for me. I also got my name back...people call me Kathy and not Samm's mom, Nicole's mom, and so one. I didn't do well when the last child left, but now that I am use to it, it's a really good time in my life. Oh yea...I knew I had a husband but until the girls all left, I just thought he was some guy that just hung around here...LOL...We find being a couple again just wonderful!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have five boys, ages 32, 30, 18, 17 and 12. Twenty years between my oldest and my youngest and, to be honest, I'm tired. I was a single mom for seven years with my two oldest and I've been a single mom since my youngest was four months old.

I love my kids but more and more I find myself really looking forward to being by myself. I often joke to my kids that some day I'll probably be known as "that crazy old hermit goat lady on the hill" and my 17-year-old likes to point out that I already am known that way.

Honestly, though, I'm so tired of running around (we live 12 miles from the school and all related activities) and there is somewhere someone HAS to go on a daily basis (I'm not working right now due to a serious on-the-job injury in July). I think all the time about how much more cheaply I can live. I'm not into clothes (only shop at Goodwill, Value Village, etc. anyway). My grocery bill would be minimal. I can see myself not spending money for days on end and not having all those extra expenses (band books, birthday gifts for friends, asb cards) that go along with having kids.

I think about how my 3-bedroom house could become one bedroom (mine), a guest room, and a library/office.

No fights, no piles of laundry (I can usually get more than one day out of a change of clothes). I could see myself cooking a pot of homemade chicken soup and eating off that for a week and being perfectly satisfied.

My 18-year-old will be nineteen in March and he's talking about getting an apartment and has even gone so far as to look at some. I'm trying to be supportive while not sounding overly enthusiastic. I even bought him a cheap little microwave for Christmas (that's not too obvious, is it?)

With my oldest being 32 and my youngest being 12 and being still six years away from being 18, by the time he leaves the nest I will have been doing the mommy thing for 38 years. Of course, that's assuming these three ever do fly the coop. They may decide they've got it too good.

Now I feel like a bad mom for expressing these feelings. Just for the record, though, I don't tell my kids I'm looking forward to the day they leave. And I'm sure as each one does, it won't necessarily be a happy day for me. I'll wait and celebrate the day after.....

Janis

Janis

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh wow Janis, here I am complaining about how much it cost to feed and clothe a 15 year old girl, and you have two teenage boys and a almost teen boy at home. I feel for ya GF.

Here's how I picture my 3 bedroom house when DD finally leaves the nest. Our bedroom, guestroom, and scrapbooking/craft room.

You have goats? I did until this Monday morning when stray dogs killed all but one, and I found a good home for Sissy yesterday, because the dogs are still on the loose and I was so scared they would come back and attack her as well.

I have a dear friend who lives in the Longview/Kelso area of Washington State. She emailed me some pics this week of the flooding that occured in that recent storm. Pic's reminded me of some I saw after Katrina hit New Orleans and parts of Mississippi.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Carolyn:

I am in Lewis County, where the Chehalis River caused such misery. I'm only 20 miles or so from the center of it but, other than some minor inconveniences in getting around and my usual winter mud, I really had no trouble.

There are a lot of people in this county and Grays Harbor County and some areas in Oregon that are really suffering.

The pictures of WalMart being under water were amazing and it's hard to believe they're scheduled to re-open tomorrow (Monday). I worry about the small businesses and mom and pop stores. There's a large building in Chehalis that used to be a department store but now houses a movie theater, a Shop n' Kart and rents spaces for people to sell their knick knacks, books, collectibles, etc. The water was almost up to the roof and when I drove by there the other day, there were piles of what is now "junk" being piled up in the parking lot. A lot of these vendors were elderly and I don't imagine a lot of them will be able to come back.

An elderly gentleman in the town to the west and a little bit south of me (Winlock) went out to check on his creek and disappeared.

Lots of livestock have been lost.

I guess the Coast Guard said that, next to Katrina, this was their largest rescue operation to date. They were literally plucking people off roofs with helicopters.

I'm sorry about your goats. You said the dogs were strays. Is there any chance you could find out who they belong to? Years ago, two dogs killed three of my goats and the owners' home owner's insurance reimbursed me. Not that the money will bring your goats back, but if the owners are punished in some way (the insurance companies don't like to pay out), maybe they will do something to prevent these dogs from doing anyone else any damage.

Did you give your remaining goat to someone who has other goats? They're herd animals and need company and I'm sure yours is grieving in its own way for the loss of its companions.

I've lost three goats this past year due to old age. My herd (I'm down to eighteen) is getting increasingly elderly. I used to breed and milk and sell babies and all that, but don't do that anymore. I will just continue to keep the ones I have as pets/brush eaters and they will live out their lives here.

Janis

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Carolyn:

I just read your other thread about your goat situation. I apparently missed it before.

It sounds as if things have worked out well for Sissy.

And your vet sounds like a wonderful guy!

Janis

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh he is. He's one who really loves animals and not just in it for the money. I've met some who are heartless snobs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Freedom primarily.
    DH and I really get to enjoy this time in
    our lives without always considering the
    children.
    No set schedule to keep to.
    No doctors appts other than our own.
    No picking up, dropping off, making lunches,
    meeting teachers, sporting events, etc.
    Enjoyed it all but glad it's over.
    After being sad that they are gone
    you now have the time to think about
    you and dh's wants.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote from [email protected]

"No picking up, dropping off, making lunches, meeting teachers, sporting events, etc."

I enjoyed it too, but glad it's over.

Couldn't have said it better. Usually nice and quiet now around here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, when Dh & I married we bought a van to travel in & got a better boat..love to fish...he was going to retire & I quit my job....circumstances arose w/his daughter & we became parents again..saving a child was more important in our minds...have two now & the looks we get when we're out in public & they call us mommy & daddy!!! Makes life worth living...!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast