Breakfast sausage from oatmeal~meatless??
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Breakfast sausage from oatmeal~meatless??

Hey has anyone tried this? She says it is a WW2 recipe and sounds pretty good and super frugal especially with the price of meat.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looks a lot like falafel. Usually you let that sit and hydrate before shaping, makes the patties hold together better and you don't have to boil them.

I would not recommend holding a knife the way she does to grind spices with the handle.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Contrary Housewife...you are right it does resemble falafel. Thanks for the tip of letting them sit and hydrate. I think I will use flax seed "egg" versus regular eggs and let the mixture sit overnight in the frig to allow the spices to permeate and allow it to hydrate. I am all for not having to boil them.
    I had not noted how she was holding the knife...I will have to take a look at the video again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! I have to give this a try! Meat sausage is literally off our table now, and this looks like a great way to cut fat, salt, and cholesterol. If it's tasty it would be a great way to eat more oatmeal, too.

I wonder if it would impact the flavor much to boil the patties in plain water instead of bouillon. It would be easier and cheaper just to use water, and a lot less sodium, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, I rushed out to the kitchen and made these. Here's my review:

I more or less used the recipe above, but added a couple more seasonings and did not include any salt. I also did not use fennel because for some reason I don't seem to have any.

I did not use bouillon because I don't buy that stuff. I just boiled the patties in tap water. TBH, I don't think bouillon would have added much in the way of flavor except maybe for salt, which is why I don't buy bouillon.

I used Egg Beaters because I have some that need to be used, but I'm sure two regular eggs would work equally well.

The recipe in the video above didn't specify using quick oats or old fashioned. I used old fashioned and that would be my go-to. Quick oatmeal breaks up more easily and I think would create a finer texture, so that might be a personal preference.

I used far less oil in the frying pan than shown in the video. I used a non-stick pan with just a little oil.

These were dead easy to make. I thought maybe with so little liquid it would be hard to get everything to come together but it wasn't a problem. I used an ice cream scoop and burger press to portion and press the patties, but that was overkill on both. I stopped using the burger press after the first patty. I used the scoop for all five patties just because it was already dirty, but probably won't use it again because a spoon will work just as well and be easier to clean. It was also too big. I did use a square of plastic wrap to press out each patty and form it. That worked out well for me. After I formed each patty, I picked up the bottom section of the plastic wrap and inverted the patty onto the spatula, then peeled off the plastic wrap and used the spatula to put the patty in the pan. Naturally, I did not use a hot spatula.

I browned the patties till they looked like regular sausage patties, but I think I should have made them very lightly browned instead, since they will be crisped and browned after boiling, too. How browning them less would affect how well they hang together in the boiling stage, I can't say, but they seemed very structurally sound even before browning.

I did include the boiling step and it wasn't a problem because the pan will clean up easily and I did other things in the kitchen while the patties simmered. They really don't need any attention during simmering. If anyone does make these without boiling and it works out, please let me know. I drained them using the basket that came with my pot, but I think that was overkill too and will probably just use a paper towel next time, as the person in the video did.

Even with adding red pepper flakes, black pepper, and a plethora of other spices, I thought these were a little bland, but I like food with bold flavors so YMMV. Of course, there's no limit to the seasonings that can be added to these patties to meet personal preferences. I ate a patty on a nice HM whole wheat bun for lunch, and added wasabi sauce. It was delicious.

My patties did not achieve the crispness of meat sausages, but I think if the patties were made thinner than I made and what was made in the video, that might improve. It might also help to lightly brown them as I mentioned, so they can be browned longer the second time around, which is when they get their crispness. Using a cast iron pan might make a difference, too.

The texture was a little soft but not horrible. It seemed a bit chewy to me. Not bad enough to be off-putting, just slightly different than meat patties.

Summary: I'm excited about this recipe because I think it can be made into a reasonable facsimile of meat sausage with some further experimentation with seasonings. Any dry seasonings suggested for making HM sausage patties should work equally well with this oatmeal/egg base. The texture was acceptable. There was no oatmeal or egg flavor in these patties. Even though the patties did not get as crisp as grease-fried meat patties, there's potential for correcting that problem by shifting the frying times to less frying in the first cooking step to more frying time in the third cooking step, and using well-seasoned cast iron. Frying them in an air fryer may also make a crispier product without adding much oil.

The real test for me is whether these patties will freeze well and reheat well in the microwave. I would like to be able to cook these in bulk to have on hand for quick meals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit Deer THANKS for the review! I decided to try a variation of her recipe above as I did not like the idea of frying ( added oil/fat). So I tried the one below with a couple modifications:
    1.) I used the same spices as noted in her video above.
    2.) I used HM (salt free) mushroom broth in place of water +soy milk.
    3.) I allowed it to sit overnight in the frig after the oats had cooled.
    4.) I used flax "eggs" versus chicken eggs.
    4.) I baked them at 375F 15 min per side.
    5.) I added a half cup of chopped walnuts for added texture.
    My opinion: They were pretty good!!! But I need to tweak the seasonings. I also like a little ZING in my food.
    Oat Steaks | VegWeb.com, The World's Largest Collection of Vegetarian Recipes

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fat adds satiety to foods, so a little healthy fat is good. I figure it's a trade-off to use canola oil instead of eating the meat sausage patties swimming in lard.

Try green Tabasco on the patties. I like both green and red Tabasco, but the green is a little more mild and mellow without some of the harshness the red has.

I'm thinking using fresh onions very finely grated in a food processor might add a little more flavor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit Deer...good idea about adding an onion! Also I will try the green tabasco sauce...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think these might work for salisbury steaks and for burgers, too. Salisbury steaks have finely chopped onions in them. I don't know if the patties would still stay together as well with the onion in them, but it's worth a try.

I'm thinking adding some liquid smoke might be good for making burgers with this recipe. We had the patties I made today for supper tonight and pretended they were hamburgers with all the fixings. They were good served that way, but bland. I think there's a lot I can do with this recipe if I can figure out the seasonings. How hard can that be? I have lots of sausage recipes so lots of options for different seasoning blends.

I watched another video of that recipe and the person in that one used a blend of onion flakes and onion powder that, apparently, comes mixed together. That would be easy to duplicate at home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well...I had the last of the patties with creamed whole peas on top tonight...turned out yummy. However, I think that they can be better!

So I am going to make them again! What did Winston Churchill say "Never give up, never give up , never give up!" This time I will add as many of the spices which I have on hand and also some diced onions. I will add a little less mushroom broth to make up for the additional liquid from the onions. I will let them sit in the frig tonight and then bake them tomorrow.

I agree Spirit Deer I think this recipe is a winner but gotta get the spices right. I also want to limit salt!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also found red pepper flakes in the cupboard so ...I threw them in to!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The red pepper flakes were about the only thing that gave my patties any flavor. Hard to believe considering how many different spices I put into those things. Mushroom broth sounds good! I'll make the patties again sometime too. I want to try a similar recipe for salisbury steaks, too. I love salisbury steaks for WW lunches with onion and mushroom gravy, but it's expensive to use meat to make them and I've always felt like it was too expensive for a lunch. Plus the points are much higher using beef. There are lots of advantages to using the oatmeal mixture so I hope I can make it work.
    Last edited by Spirit Deer; 12-06-2017 at 12:12 PM.