Frugal Village Forums banner

Tightwad Tuesday 12/29

2K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  Frugal-Nana 
#1 ·
Now you'd think I'm besing really efficient and getting started early - but I'm not, I'm up late working!!

Monday was moving day for the Carney family! Of course, it was freezing, snowing and the roads are drifting over.....
We were unexpectedly blessed when some old friends -who live in another part of the state came by on their way from one set of parents to the other to celebrate Christmas- to lend a HUGE hand, as well as a friend of my son's and an unemployed gentleman from church.

It was like a giant game of Tetris getting the contents of a 2100 SF house into a truck, and then into our storage. We busted it all day long, and returned the truck, but we still have 5-6 carloads of odd stuff (including my 3 foot tall leg lamp :) ) to get moved before we close on the house Wednesday.

I cannot find my winter coat, and it's supposed to be 13 degrees when I get off work in the morning!! YIKES!

On the PLUS side, it's my first night back taking care of my beautiful little baby patient, Elizabeth. To say a miracle has occurred would be a terrible understatement. She is pink!! She's on only about 20% of the meds she was on, and 1/4 the oxygen. She had a HUGE smile for me when I got here - and a smile is always rewarded by me letting her wear my glasses for a minute.

Hope the coffee I bought on the way here works it's magic!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Reading your post I forgot what the actual topic was. Am I distractable?

It's not Tuesday yet. Unlike Mary, I get to sleep first. But the day will be busy. Some RAM I ordered for the computer came so I need to go have one of our tech types at work install it for me, the pick up a few things while I'm out.

Then a little cleaning, a little cooking, and a fun evening building my new databases.

#4 ·
I'm up early today, had to see Dh off, especially since it's his birthday. The house is dark and quiet and I am enjoying some tea before ds is up. Lots of stuff I want to get done today including some baking: oatmeal banana muffins to use up the brown ones in the fruit bowl, corn bread muffins to go with tomorrow's chili and a homemade carrot cake for DH's b-day.
Also need to do some more laundry, clean our bedroom and spend some time clearing out clutter and boxes in the spare room that will soon be our new baby's room!

#5 ·
Very cool news about your baby patient, Mary! Woohooo! I know how important that "pink" is.

My morning didn't start off so hot - had 8 Ebay packages to ship, and started getting them all ready to set outside the door for pickup...no TAPE. No flippin' tape to seal the boxes! Argh! So I had to put a note on the door for our postal worker that I would reschedule for tomorrow.

But I did get myself quite a bit of sleep last night, and I'm finally starting to recover from the holiday rush, I think. I'm feeling kind of like the Rain Man..."...definitely need more planning next year...definitely need more planning..."

At work today until 5pm, then home to TRY and get stuff done that I had on my list for last night. I had a big long list of stuff to get done, but DD21 wanted to go out and get groceries, so there went my evening. By the time we got home, all I wanted to do was sleep!

Sooo...for tonight I plan to:

list on Ebay
clean the kitchen floor
get Ebay packages ready to ship tomorrow morning
cross-list my Ebay stuff onto Bonanzle
work on budget for 2010
start planning January trip to VA to see DS11 (looking for cheap hotel room online)
clean up living room
put laundry away
and other various and sundry items....

have a great day all!

Reactions: mauimagic
#6 ·
Going to dye my hair=save $50+tip
Going to clip cat nails=12@$19=$228.
Return 2 gifts not given=$26+$20ish=$46.ish returned to CC
Stop at groc. for bread on clearance on the way.

Going back to bed and read until it's later and warmer. Will make spaghetti tonight and save eating out costs.

#7 ·
I'm feeling a little sleepy this morning, as I woke up around 3:30 with a migraine. I took my migraine pill, but it took awhile to kick in before I could get to sleep, pain free.

However, despite the sleepiness, I am feeling pretty good right now (modern medicine works wonders).

Today I want to drop off the quilt I finished yesterday for my week old nephew (he's my 12th nephew/niece!), along with some gifts.

Then, we are headed to the mall with my Mom. Normally, I hate the mall and hate shopping, but dd needs a haircut, and they do the cheapest cuts around. I cut the boys hair myself, but I don't mess with dd's hair. :)

While we're there, I have a gift card to Victoria's Secret, as I need to get some bras (TMI?) and they have the only ones that really fit me well (32A...hard time finding any that fit quite right...TMI again?)

I'll also use some Entertainment book coupons and take the kids to McDonalds. Well, actually, my Mom has offered to take us to McDonalds. I want to make sure she uses the coupons, as I am not a fan of others spending money on me/us.

Finally, there is a Barnes and Noble at the mall, and I still have $27 left on my B&N gift card from Christmas. I may use it, but I may save it, because dd wants a series of books for her birthday in February, and we are pinching pennies until they scream in the New Year, so I may use it for buying that gift. We'll see. When I was at B&N on Monday, looking to use the whole $50, I only found two books that I had to have. Of course, I had gotten four books for Christmas that I really wanted, so I was in pretty good shape.

My Mom wants to stop at Kohl's on the way back for a mattress pad, but I told her that at that point, we might have to see how the monkeys are doing. The mall is exhausting for them because they get so excited since we never go there. :)

After that, I have some laundry to do at home, and one of my best friends is in town and might stop by. I hope she does...I miss her!

Dinner tonight will either be baked mac and cheese or cheese omelettes. Common thread...cheese. :)

#8 ·
Great to hear about your little patient, Mary! It sounds like your move went smoothly as well. Working til about 6 or 6:30 today, I need to keep up with the house cleaning. I let it slide the few weeks coming up to the holidays because I was working so much and trying to get gifts finished. I'll do the bathroom tonight. I find if I do a little bit each night, it makes it not such an enormous task! I have a bit of laundry to put away and some boxes and wrapping to take down the basement. That will probably be it for tonight. Not much in the mood to cook for dinner, I'll have to see what I have that's quick.

#9 ·
My to-do list from yesterday was completely side-track and so I must get focused today. I need to shovel the drive and put some laundry away as well as unload a basket of stuff from my room. Depending on the mood of the children, we may take some stuff to the "sell store" and then go to the nature park ~ I'd like to snowshoe with them, but maybe we'll just do the scheduled activities they have going on for FREE.

#10 ·
What I'm doing today...painting!!

I estimate I/we are saving ourselves at LEAST $1000 by doing it ourselves! Woohoo!

#11 ·
I slept in somewhat today and woke to breakfast in bed... scrambled eggs and a crumpet... and then found a vase full of crazy daisys on the kitchen table. The Old Man was in an exceptionally good mood today -- maybe he took pity on me because I was tossing and turning all night.

He also informed me that HE is cooking today. :thud:

So far today I have
~ had breakfast in bed
~ shook the sleep from my eyes

Now that I don't have to go to the grocery store or cook...

Later today I will
~ give Diva her history and math lessons
~ flip the mattresses
~ take a bubble bath

It's a bit of a quiet, relaxed day here.

#12 ·
Good morning! Looks like everybody has their days mapped out! After I drink my pot of coffee this morning (he he), I plan to hit it hard this morning. Yesterday's plans were messed up due to ds going to the doc for strep throat. After a stop to walgreens for his $3 medicine (I HEART THE MILITARY and their insurance!!!), we came home and I proceeded to not do much. I have this week off from work, and I really should be organizing,organizing,organizing. I've started a load of laundry already, and I'm going to plan more science experiments for ds's birthday. I need to take down all of the Christmas decorations today, too. Have a great day today, all!

-Vanessa

#15 ·
Good to hear you were able to get everything stored away. Great news about your patient.

Right now I have a load of laundry in the dryer. Finally washing some of the x-mas gifts.

Will take a walk, stop in a store to check for x-mas cards, come home shower, vacuum rugs, take it easy then visit some friends this evening.

#16 ·
I need to fold the last load of towels from yesterday. Ironing needs to be done but no rush as it is a super casual week at work for DH as they are closing the books out. I want to take the kids to the library, drop off the glass for recycling (right behind library) and hit the bakery outlet store. DH may be home early (woohoo) so I want to have as much done this morning as possible so I can spend time with him.

#17 ·
Today, I've made breakky for my dad and myself and now just chilling at the village after breakky. Rumour has it that my sister threatened to stop by so I will need to get my act together and showered, gather up things to do today (ie errands) and then a grocery list. I have a feeling she's going to ask me to Boxing Week shop :( We'll see how the day unfolds.

#25 ·
I survived!!! Manged to NOT leave the house today! LOL Just visited with my sister and looked for work online :) Tomorrow will be a busier day seeing that I'll need to run errands that I didn't get to today, while my dad's at his next lab testing appointment.

#18 ·
It'll be another quiet day here. This morning I got up, exercised, and had breakfast. After breakfast, I made jello, rice, and beans. Right now we're all just hanging out watching DVD's. Later today we plan on playing in the snow.

#19 ·
Good morning/almost afternoon!
Mary, I'm so glad to hear about Elizabeth's improvement :)

In a little bit I get to go pick up my boys from their first ever non-family sleepover. I miss them like crazy!

I'm finishing up laundry until it's time to pick them up. After getting the boys, I have to go to the credit union so dd17 can cash her check, then go to the library.

This afternoon I have to take dd17 to refill her go-phone then take her to work. Making the boys' favorite dinner (hamburgers & mac & cheese) then gonna cuddle with them while watching a movie.

#20 ·
I have been up for hours packing orders, washing clothes, changing the sheets on the bed, gathering the garbage from all rooms in the house, putting to the curb, and planning dinner.

As soon as I put on some warm clothes, I am going to bring some firewood in for the fireplace and stack a bunch on the front porch by the front door for easy access. It is going to start raining in a couple of hours and will continue until sometime tomorrow - UGH!

#21 ·
Happy Tuesday, everyone! Reading your posts really motivates me to actually get up and off the computer and get something done. I hadn't even thought of my To Do List until now. I've had a cold/sinus problems for days, and today was yet another wake-up-with-a-headache day. Yuck! Plus it has turned cold and rainy which doesn't help matters.

My plans for today include:

1. Using the last of the frozen pumpkin to bake pumpkin bread.
2. Cooking, mashing and freezing the last three small pumpkins.
3. Moving a stack of books and some art supplies back out to the studio, from the house.
4. Paying the water bill online.
5. Reading more in my Dave Ramsey book.
6. Resolving not to be transferring so much from one day's To Do List to the next day, in the future. ;)

#22 ·
Mary, great news about little Elizabeth!

So far today, I've put away alot of the Christmas decorations, made breakfast and lunch, washed dishes from both meals, made the bed, washed some of the Christmas linens, cleaned out the fridge. I still need to fold a load of towels, put clothes away, take down the garland and ribbons on the bannister and make dinner.

#23 ·
It looks like I am the least organized person on here today. In fact I'm having a very unproductive week so far.

The roads were finally cleared yesterday so we made a trip to the grocery store because they were predicting more snow for today. That took the better part of yesterday.

Today, no snow and I had to drive in to turn in dh's paperwork since he won't be home from Louisiana in time to do it himself. My mom went with me so we did a little shopping (I didn't spend anything) and ate lunch. That took pretty much the entire day up until now. Now dd is napping and I'm taking advantage of the quiet and thinking about napping with her. :)

Tonight we have a little bit of housecleaning to do and will probably have ham and mac & cheese for dinner since its just the two of us. Probably a lot of coloring to do too.

Tomorrow will be more productive.

#24 ·
MC -so glad to hear how well elizabeth is doing!! And you are an amazing woman to get your move organized and executed in such a short time frame - congrats all around to you!!

Yesterday was a total bust - had a major personal home problem that has just thrown me into a total tizzy - need to get focused so I can:
1. Deal with it
2. Still get work done that needs to be done

I did manage to strip the bed - not bad since I can only use one arm - and I have started a load of laundry.

Need to get ready for Physical Therapy in a few hours - think I am going to cancel tomorrow's PT - it's been a little too intense lately.

Before PT I am going to get the records together that I need to turn in from a fall I had last May. If I can get anything reimbursed, it will be better than nothing!!

Am looking forward to a more positive day tomorrow!!

#27 ·
Had a pretty busy day:
1) Ordered books for DH
2) Washed DIshes
3) Washed 1 load of clothes (in cold water)
4) Made 12 Homemade Flour Tortillas
5) Made Homemade Refried Beans (Put 1 quart in freezer for another day)
6) Make 1 gallon of Homemade Croutons
7) Made menu out for next week
8) Re-watched our own DVD (No renting)
9) Printed out new recipes to try

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.