Tightwad Tuesday 2019 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It won't be such a tightwad day. Dgd is gettin her next karate belt and we promised her we would go to a "restaurant" after. Somewhere like McDs.

I don't have much planned here. I do have a few things to pick up at Aldi, but maybe I'll wait until tomorrow after I visit my parents. It will be on the way home.

I know there is laundry lurking somewhere, so maybe I'll throw a load in.

Kitchen needs a little tidying. Need to wash the crockpot. Left it soaking overnight. Maybe I should get some of those crockpot bags. Nahhh...a little soaking will do the trick.

I really need to work on getting the puppy to potty outside now. We've been sick and letting him use the pads, but dh wants him going outside. Now I'm afraid to let him out. Dh said there was a big hawk flying around this morning. We have 3 dogs that he could take. That would be horrible. I think we are going to get the yard really cleaned up and then notify the neighbors they need to do the same or we'll turn them in to the city. Two neighbors behind us have so much overgrown. It stands at least 3 feet above the fence. I don't know what might be living in there and maybe that's why the hawk is hanging around. Dh might be nice and just clean it up himself. That kind of stuff makes me angry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Feeling much better. Not yet 100%. Nose still hurts and gets a bit swollen by the end of the day. I have a feeling I have allergies now. I'm fine until I step outside, then my nose starts itching. 50+ years and this is the first time for allergies. Crazy.

I did accomplish a lot yesterday. A couple loads of laundry folded and put away. Yep, put away. I made green chili stew in the crockpot. Everything got washed and put away. Made dh his flat bread. Yep, washed and put away. I was on fire yesterday. I was also mad, so that made me work. Maybe I need to get mad everyday.

Today not much going on. I do need to do my nails. I never thought I'd be happy with short nails, but these long things just get in the way. We are going to try and get ds' dogs to the vet. They are due for their rabies shot and I need to get their flea/tick pills too. I need to take the puppy back in too, but that will be another day. Ds' dogs are a handful. I need dh to go with me. I can handle the puppy by myself.

Dinner will be later if we take the dogs in. I'm going to make a bacon/zucchini fritatta. It calls for corn, but I'm going to sub mushrooms. Dh didn't turn up his nose to it. It looked and sounded good, so I'm going to give it a try. I could the rest of the bacon and maybe make some fried potatoes to go with it. I'll have everything prepped and ready before we go to the vet, so all I have to do is poor the eggs into the pan and put it in the oven.

If I have time today, I may run to the store to pick up a couple of the sale items we could stock up on. Canned veggies, bacon. We also need popcorn supplies. Felt like popcorn on Sunday, but no popcorn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to buy sneakers online that's on clearance and I have a GC.
    I had hoped to get outside and pull weeds but it rained all day and was cold and windy. I made DH put the heat on in the car while he drove and he wasn't happy about it.
    I made chicken pot pie today as DH smoked chicken a few days ago. Just threw a bag of mixed veg and cream of chicken soup into a pie plate and put a crust on top. I made more cookies as I only do half a batch at a time and they don't last. DS2 was upset that only 3 were left last time.
    Laundry is drying and will fold it soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by rujerro View Post
    I
    I made chicken pot pie today as DH smoked chicken a few days ago. Just threw a bag of mixed veg and cream of chicken soup into a pie plate and put a crust on top.
    I love chicken pot pie. Sometimes I just make the filling and pour it over biscuits.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Babysat youngest dgd this morning, while mom and older sister went to the dentist. She did well. A year ago she would have cried the whole time. I'm glad she was good.

Started a load of laundry and put some dishes in the dishwasher. Did some reading.

I'm hoping to start piecing dgd's quilt.

Dinner tonight will most likely be leftovers, unless bil needs company for dinner tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another beautiful day! Not much going on today. I may run to the store. They have a couple of one day only sales and could use a few of the items. If not, no big deal. Depend on how I feel later.

Dgd will spend the night. She wanted to stay last night, but I have to babysit her and her sister in the morning, so it works out better for tonight. She loves us so much. She's really wanting to start cooking. Last night before she went home she made oatmeal all by herself. Tonight, if we don't go out with bil, she'll make mac & cheese and green beans. That's what she said she wanted to cook. I'll make some chicken for us too. She loves to help and do work. I have some towels to fold, so I'll leave that until she comes over and let her "work".

I also need to do a load or two of laundry and clean up the kitchen. It's a mess from the late night oatmeal.

I'd like to get out and do some more clean up in the yard. Just realized the neighbor has pokeberry growing on her side of the fence. It's toxic to animals. I think dh and I will have to go over there and clean it ourselves. She said she doesn't like gardens, and the old owner had flower beds all over. I think in exchange for cleaning the fence line, I'm going to ask for her landscaping blocks. We'll get some kind of weed killer and take care of that mess. After it's done, she'll need to keep it up or I'll just call the city on her. I don't want to be that neighbor, but it's ridiculous. We've got our own mess to deal with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's going to be a nice, busy day. It finally warmed up enough for dh to paint the house. He had help from our neighbor across the street. He's young and can get up on a ladder. He had a couple of guys helping too. Our neighbor has his own business and things get slow for him this time of year. Dh taught him a few things, for repairs, etc. and he was excited to learn and be able to add to list of things he can do. Really nice kid. He's going to do the landscaping under the deck, we'll provide the supplies and him and his crew will do the work. We've been trying to get this done for years and finally we are getting it done. Dh has a little bit of painting left. It is costing us more money, but this guy works so cheap. We always pay him more than he quotes, because it seems too low to us, but it's still very reasonable.

Dh's mom isn't doing well, and now we are planning for the worst. In a way it will be a blessing. I know if she really knew how she is, she wouldn't be happy and wouldn't want to live like that. It's sad. She's just not mom anymore. That has taken a lot of dh's time.

But I've been busy cleaning out some of the junk and organizing the junk. Dh took a truckload to dump at work. I'm sure there will be more. We really hope ds will come get his stuff or at least let me get rid of it. He has so many clothes. Most of which he hasn't worn in 5years. That's how long he's been gone. Now that he's back in the states, he should come get it, along with his car and his dog. I think we are keeping one of them. Anyway, I told dh, if I just spent 20-30 minutes everyday, everything would be cleaned up, but I don't do that.

Anyway, I'm off to the store to get some paint for touch ups and get some things for dgd. She's complaining of a "throat". She has a sore throat. I have most of it here, but I can pick up a couple of things while I'm getting the paint.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jett- That's great that the neighbor can do house painting and landscaping at a bargain! How wonderful! Sorry about DH's mom. Shame.

I won't be spending today. I plan on having leftovers for dinner and running errands/gym. I hope to watch tv with DS2 tonight. Either a tv show or movie.

I hope to put more stuff on ebay. I collected Hallmark ornaments and mom sent me these hand blown glass ones years ago. They're thick glass with swirls and quite pretty as each one is different in color or shape. They're from a shop in Oregon, I believe. But it's time to let go of stuff. I may donate the Christmas tree. Too big and time consuming to put up (limb by limb, level by level).

I should drop by the lab to get some bloodwork, but I've spent a ton on doctors/surgery and really don't want to do it and see another bill in the mail. II was supposed to do this mid-October...::

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's freezing here. I think I'll stay in again today. Yesterday dh and I took some things to UPS to return to Amazon. Amazon tried to charge me shipping on an order they messed up. It was lost, replaced and the lost items delivered as well as the replacements. They wanted me to pay postage to return the extra items. Nope. Did my own return on the items instead of following the link in the email for their request to return. Then we went next door to the grocery store for fruit. It was sooooo cold. We also stopped for dinner and dh got a free burger.

Today I have laundry to do. Started some last night, but the towels take two cycles to dry. I'll do some more sewing on dgd's quilt. I'm so glad I decided to spend 30 minutes a day doing something specific instead of look for something to do. I also have some reading to do and maybe take a quick nap.

Dinner will be cabbage stir fry (eggroll in a bowl). I'll make dh some cheesy Keto flatbread too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jett- I'm surprised Amazon made you return the items. We ordered doors once and they sent the wrong size for one and replaced it. They didn't want the wrong one back. I assume the shipping would have been high.

It was nice today at 66 degrees. But we still have snow/ice on the ground.

We had the window people come out to quote 3 windows and with 2 years to pay, we didn't give them a deposit or anything. But the bill will come due in 2 years. They'll install them in 3 months. They were rotted and drafty and very inefficient.

I got a free croissant from a coffee shop as I waited a long time for coffee. I didn't notice how long I waited as we took the window guy there and was busy filling out forms.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

surprised they wanted you to pay for the return! I would give son a deadline...things are always wanted when they are at someone else house lol remember when dh bought his townhouse first thing people were..can you store ...little did they know he could fill his own lol I remember his cousin filled his moms place and dh sister both who had bigger places then her...and then sister bitched after she died that one trunk of books was wrecked from a leak..well you left it there for 15yrs or more couldn't be that important. now after mil I look at our place and think wow if we died tomorrow...what an estate sale. so an ongoing project. we did take a carload to the thrift store.

worked, got some groceries and sushi for dinner. we dropped my car off to the mechanics to get winter tires on and alignment. watched the movie late night from the library cute movie nice something for our age.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy Tuesday. Glad to see the sun today. It's my sister's birthday and we are doing our weekly lunch out today for her. I won't go visit my parents tomorrow. I really need to get caught up on some things around here, so I'll stay home.

We ended up getting ribs from a food truck last night. The place we wanted is closed on Monday. I was looking up the location for the truck and noticed they had a Monday Night Football special. It was so good. Dh stopped on his way home. The truck used to be closer to us, but for some reason moved to the other side of town. It was really good. The sides were just okay, but better than some. We'll be having leftovers tonight.

I need to clean up the kitchen. For some reason it just looks messy. Things don't always get put away. That's the problem. I know there is laundry starting to pile up. Maybe do a load today or tomorrow. I really want to get in and do some sewing. I'm falling behind. The 30 minute thing doesn't always work when there are other things going on.

Ds wants me to license his newer car. He'll send me all the paperwork. I guess it's easier and cheaper to license it here than where he's stationed. And he probably doesn't want to deal with it. He did renew his plates on his last visit himself. It's okay. What's spending 2 hours sitting at the DMV? I have nothing better to do. But I know he does really appreciate it. He always says thank you and says it many times. So I have that to look forward to in the next few weeks.

This weekend we finished up some projects in the back yard. Dh got the edging under the deck done. We had rock brought in. It looks really nice. I hated to spend the money, but now it's finished. I had a flower bed on the side of the house I wanted raised. It sits too low. Bil had some landscaping blocks on the side of his house that he was going to throw out, so we got them and raised up the edge. They weren't the same color, but hey, they were free. It turned out nice. It will sit until spring and then I'll get some more dirt to go inside and flowers for it. I'm happy with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's nice that your DH appreciates your time and efforts getting his car stuff done. The rocks sound nice.

I put mulch around our trees 2 mths ago and the bag said that it stops grass from growing through it due to whatever it's made of.....Yeah, right. We've had snow a few times and when it melts, I can see the grass through the mulch.

I tried to do laundry but DS2 has his stuff in the washer and won't let anyone touch it. So, I can't put it in the dryer. I have a folded pile here for DS2 but he hasn't retrieved them yet..... Kids....

My doc is closing his practice and I'm heartbroken. He's the 4th doc that has done this and finding anyone good is extremely difficult. He sent me a check for $500 as that was owed to me from our contract. Sure, it helps, but I'd rather have him as my PCP.

We got a new tenant for the rental and it should work out. We also had the windows measured as the frames are rotted and the tenants can't open one of them.

DH will smoke chickens again. Maybe not in the next 2 days as we are expecting more snow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's going to be a beautiful December day. But I'm think I'm staying in most of the day. Dh and I want to open a new checking account that we use for online purchases only. If the money isn't in the account, we don't buy anything. Plus with little to no money in it, fraud will be easy to prove. We're done with credit cards. That's our goal for the new year. If we don't have the cash, we don't need it.

Dh is still busy getting the funeral program put together. He made a really nice program for his brother with lots of pictures and little stories from his life. He's doing that for his mom. A nice little keepsake.

We still don't know if ds will be coming into town. The tickets are outrageous. A month out and they are 1/3 the price. We told him we'd help pay his ticket if he really wants to come. Waiting to hear from him.

Doing laundry today. One load in the washer and there's one in the dryer I need to bring up to fold and put away. There are two more loads, one really needs to get done, the other can wait til tomorrow.

I would like to go to Joanns for some batting. They have it 50% off. I had a coupon for Thursday, but it's not good on door busters and the batting is a door buster. It's already on sale for 50% so I'm not going to wait. I'll see what's going on later this afternoon. In between laundry loads, I hope to get the quilt backing cut out and sewn together.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That was sweet to offer DS help with plane tickets. I hope he takes up the offer. I like the keepsake book too.

I think the checking acct is a great idea.

I use my CC all the time and am still putting off medical/dental due to no funds. I will have to find a doc in several months but dental is needed now. I'll call the insurance to see what dental coverage I have. We don't get medical/dental/vision cards anymore. We're told to have the offices call the insurance company for coverage benefits. Honestly, that's crazy to me. I don't even know what's covered or not. And when I tell the eye MD to call to see if I have a co-pay or what, they look at me like I'm insane. Then they tell me how it's my responsibility to pay for the bill if insurance doesn't, blah blah. I get that. But I have no control over getting a card that can be scanned !

I'm trying to look online for cost of oil change/tire rotation. I print out coupons but then read reviews and see that these places are taking screwdrivers and puncturing holes in pipes! And it happened yesterday! So I won't be going there... The side mirror is broken off. I bumped it while trying to get snow off the car and didn't think it was a hard bump but I guess it was. I will duct tape it back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast