Attic fans

Thread: Attic fans

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Attic fans

I don't have one in my attic. I am very interested in installing one but I can't afford to hire someone to install one in my roof.
    Don't they have the kind that 'sit' in your window? How do they work? Electricity? My DH isn't electrically inclined and wouldn't want anyone not liscensed to install it. unless it just sits in your window and you plug it in...
    Could I just put a regular fan in my window? I have a window in the front and back of my house in the attic.. Upstairs is always so much hotter! An attic fan would help with that right? In the winter it always feels cooler also. We have gas heat and it's in the floor downstairs but they octopused ducts throught the attic and they come through the ceiling for upstairs! So the heat is supposed to blow down.
    Anyway, is there anyway I could get a fan in my attic without cutting something?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How well it works depends on where you live. Here in high heat and humidity, we used it from late November until maybe March, but only during cool evenings or mornings with low humidity. You could look into it and see if they make one for your windows, but I think it has to be in your ceiling to get the full benefit of it sucking your hottest air out. Our home is a single story and we put it in our kitchen. DH installed it in about 2 hours, so it seems to me that labor wouldn't be too bad if you paid a pro.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have one that's bolted into the attic window and plugged into an outlet. It has a limited effect, so we're looking to install a house fan that will go in the ceiling in the second floor and suck hot air out of the whole house vs. just the attic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we love our attic fan, I try and keep the house as cool as possible during the day, but usually late in the afternoon is when it starts to get warm. We wait till the sun sets, then open all the windows and doors, and let er rip! Cools the house down pretty quickly. They do make noise, like a large fan might make. For some this is annoying, but DH watches the TV so loud, it doesn't make a difference here. hahaha

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in CT-northwest corner. I have a colonial so it is 2 floors plus an attic. Hmm, I wonder if I just put one fan facing out while the rest face in to create a more powerful crossbreeze would work? I just really don't want to use the a/c so early in the season and DH already wants to put them in! Luckily he listens when I say no! LOL
    So, from what I understand so far, I should just hold off and try to find an alternate way of keeping the house cool until I can afford to hire someone to install it prefessionally and in my roof.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also live in CT, in a Colonial and from what I understand, you want it in the ceiling of the second floor, not the attic.

My DH also wants to install the a/c now. Unfortunately my DH isn't quite as obedient as yours.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't understand... Why would you put it in the ceiling of the second floor when it will push the hot air into the attic. Where would the hot air go from there? I'm so confused.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the concept of a "whole house fan" that cools by pulling air in from outside (through windows) and hot air out into the attic and hence the attic vents.

Wikipedia has a good video demonstrating how it works (with sound):

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_house_fan[/ame]

I don't know anyone in my area who has this so I have lots of questions about it. Like, if my attic insulation is loose, won't the fan blow the insulation all over the place? Also, how airtight is it in winter? Wouldn't want to loose heat in the winter, to save on cooling in the summer, kwim?

If anyone has more info on whole house fans, I'm interested to hear. Oftentimes my house is "stuffy" but outside seems cooler and fresher and I'd love to quickly replace the stuffy in-house aire with outside air and this seems like it would do the trick.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whole house fan, that's the type we have. Down here everyone calls them attic fans. When it's cool enough outside, it works like a charm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't understand... Why would you put it in the ceiling of the second floor when it will push the hot air into the attic. Where would the hot air go from there? I'm so confused.
    It'll go out the attic windows or vents. An attic fan will pull hot air out of the attic, which will help, but not give you the noticable cooling effect I think you're hoping for.

A house fan will pull hot air out of your living space into the attic and out the vents/windows.