DH installed a hot water heater timer today

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default DH installed a hot water heater timer today

He didn't have time to set the times today but hopefully tomorrow we will start saving on our electric bill. I just saw where electric companies are about to raise rates another 29%!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have used a timer for awhile now. It comes on at 6am and goes off at 8am and then comes back on at 6pm and goes off at 8pm. I have found that it saves us upwards of 20$ a month or more.

What I tried to explain to my mom when she said the hot water heater doesnt run all day. Is that yes it does. when the hot water starts to cool the hot water heater comes on and gets the temp to120 or whatever. and then clicks off when it reaches that point. and when it cools down again it starts the cycle all over again.

Great purchase.. Good for you

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've never thought of that! Hopefully I'll have my own water heater soon and will be sure to do this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by freyadog View Post
    We have used a timer for awhile now. It comes on at 6am and goes off at 8am and then comes back on at 6pm and goes off at 8pm. I have found that it saves us upwards of 20$ a month or more.

What I tried to explain to my mom when she said the hot water heater doesnt run all day. Is that yes it does. when the hot water starts to cool the hot water heater comes on and gets the temp to120 or whatever. and then clicks off when it reaches that point. and when it cools down again it starts the cycle all over again.

Great purchase.. Good for you
    My mother doesn't "get it" either. Her thinking is just like your mothers.

The schedule that you have is the one that the instructions show. But we aren't sure if that's the one we will use. About how long does it take to heat up, the whole 2 hour time that it's on? We were trying to decide if it might be better to turn it off at like 7pm and have it come back on at say 6 or 8 am in the morning. I normally run the DW after supper each evening. We eat early so I am usually running the dw no later than 5:30-6 and this is the latest. We aren't sure how long the water in the tank will stay hot. I'm sure each tank is different. Depending on the temp outside also. Our's is in the garage, so in the winter months, it won't stay as warm as long, I'm sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those of you that have a water heater timer, how old is your water heater? I'm just wondering if the savings is more for older units, since the new water heaters are more energy efficient. I read that old units run about 3 hours a day total, while newer ones only run 1.5 hours a day. (ie. in other words, you might save $20 a month if you have an older heater, but only $5 a month if it's newer efficient heater).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for you. I so want to get my fiance (DF?) on board with this when I move in!

Though, good thought Ebbie. His water heater was only able to provide like 3 minutes of hot water so he just had it replaced. Maybe the new one's pretty efficient. I doubt he actually looked to see if his electric bill went down after the install.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbie View Post
    Those of you that have a water heater timer, how old is your water heater? I'm just wondering if the savings is more for older units, since the new water heaters are more energy efficient. I read that old units run about 3 hours a day total, while newer ones only run 1.5 hours a day. (ie. in other words, you might save $20 a month if you have an older heater, but only $5 a month if it's newer efficient heater).
    Ours is just under 4 years old. We read about what your saying on the internet. But figured long term, especially with the electric rates rising so fast that it would soon pay off. The timer only cost 39.99 at Homedepot and Dh installed it. Even with a 5.00 per month savings, long term we figured it was a good investment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by $hirley$aves~$$ View Post

The schedule that you have is the one that the instructions show. But we aren't sure if that's the one we will use. About how long does it take to heat up, the whole 2 hour time that it's on? We were trying to decide if it might be better to turn it off at like 7pm and have it come back on at say 6 or 8 am in the morning. I normally run the DW after supper each evening. We eat early so I am usually running the dw no later than 5:30-6 and this is the latest. We aren't sure how long the water in the tank will stay hot. I'm sure each tank is different. Depending on the temp outside also. Our's is in the garage, so in the winter months, it won't stay as warm as long, I'm sure.
    My schedule is wash dishes and clothes in the morning. Come evening after dh gets home we take care of the animals. the hotwater heater after me washing etc. is pretty cool however it clicks on at 6pm and by 7 when we come in it is hot and ready for us to take a bath.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Update:

We started off with the timer on at 4 am off 6 am. Then again at 4pm off at 6 pm. Total 4 hours per day/24 hour period.

We then downed it to on 5 am off 6 am and left the 4/6 pm times the same. Total 3 hours per day/24 hour period.
    We have a 50 gallon tank and so far have had plenty of hot water.

Tonight dh went ahead and downed the pm times to - on 5pm off 6 pm. for a total of 2 hours per day/24 hour period.

I will update in a few days as to how this is working out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by $hirley$aves~$$ View Post

Don't have a timer, but based on what I've been through with having to use a generator to run an electric hot water heater and living without power for several days after a tornado, I found that it takes less than an hour to heat the water and that it stays plenty hot for showering after 6 hours of no electricity. So I think the schedule you came up with should work fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4cats View Post
    Don't have a timer, but based on what I've been through with having to use a generator to run an electric hot water heater and living without power for several days after a tornado, I found that it takes less than an hour to heat the water and that it stays plenty hot for showering after 6 hours of no electricity. So I think the schedule you came up with should work fine.
    It worked great today. We had plenty of hot water. Before 10 am today, dd and I took showers. This afternoon about 3:30 dh took a shower. He said it wasn't the hotest but fine. After supper I ran the dishwasher and then DH and I both took showers after walking. That was 5 showers(two of them were quickies) today and the DW ran. I did laundry but I don't do it in hot water.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is so great to know. We're having a timer put in and our electrician friend was saying he thought it wouldn't save anything much. I can't wait to see how much we save.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

thanks for the report, we were thinking about it we just put in a new hot water heater 7 months ago and the estimated energy usage is $30 a month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Update: We have had plenty of hot water. Still have the timer at one hour in the am and one hour in the pm.