Do you love your fridge? Tell me about it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile Do you love your fridge? Tell me about it.

We're going to need a new a new fridge soon, and I want to know the type/brand/model before our current one dies. I don't want to need to make a hasty decision that I'll regret later.

I'd like to get an energy star, no stainless steel, nothing from Sears

Any recommendations for me? I've even been reading on Consumer Reports, but that's overwhelming as well.

TIA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can't recommend a brand, necessarily, but if I were to get a new fridge, I'd go with one with a freezer on the bottom, instead of the top. Also, I've done the side-by-side, and wouldn't go that route again. To me, it is just having a fridge and a freezer that are BOTH too narrow to store anything in!! (And mine was the biggest side-by-side they had.)
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I've never liked the side by sides for that same reason. I was looking into freezer on the bottom, but the ones I saw made it so I would be digging in the freezer vertically (like a free-standing chest freezer), and I didn't like that. Plus they're more expensive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I -had- a freezer on the bottom... I loved all the freezer space.

DON'T GET A SAMSUNG!!!! Remember my evil fridge back in February... March... April... May... June...???
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ABP&lpage=none

I currently have a GE dorm size fridge and it's been more reliable than the 'normal' one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a plain jane white, freezer on top Whirlpool that we purchased from Lowes about 7 years ago. It was an energy star and efficient model (by the standards during that time). we paid maybe $650 for it. It's a tad small actually for us (a little more than 18 cubic ft.), we could use a larger model but I'm not complaining much since it's paid for lol. We've never had a problem with it at all, I do vacuum under it monthly to keep the dust and pet hair off of the coils on the bottom of the appliance and keep it clean and tidy.

We did look at some newer ones of the same brand at Lowes recently while we were looking at stoves and for that type of frig and size they were still running near that same price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I thought freezer on top was supposed to be more energy efficient?

Good topic, I inherited a fridge with my house, and it's within a year of my own age....lol...so it's one of the things I'd like to save up to replace.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have always gone with GE products and never have a problem. We've been married 34 years and only had 2 refrigerators in all that time. So that's the brand that I recommend. We sold the first one because it was avocado green and didn't go with the decor anymore!! But it was still a great working fridge.

We currently have a side by side, and I would NOT go that route again. The shelves are too narrow to put platters, etc. on. If I were to buy a new fridge, I'll consider strongly the freezer on the bottom. And perhaps this is not an important point, but I love having an ice maker, and would do that again (can you do that with the freezer on the bottom?).
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would never again buy a side by side fridge. We bought ours for the icemaker and it crapped out after a short while. I would rather go with the freezer on bottom model if it was cost efficient.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We bought a LG with the pull out freezer drawer on the bottom and French type doors on top. No ice or water in the door, it was always a mess in our last one. It's stainless, which I wouldn't recommend, but we love it. Here's a link (btw, we spent no where near this much):

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100625582

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just got a ginormous samsung brushed stainless french door top, two side by side drawers that can be switched from fridge to freezer to "soft serve" with a keypad on the door, ice maker and water disp included, was approx $2200, dh bought the floor model at Lowes for $1,200 plus there was a rebate etc that took it all down to about $1,000. Do I love it no, I don't like the shelf configurations, not wide enough to put a lg pizza box anywhere in the thing (in my life this is a priority). There is also a funny little vegetable crisper drawer, I know it has a special use, but I didn't study the manual. DH puts stuff in there and I don't realize and it's at a funny place that I don't even see the handle for it.
    I don't hate the fridge, I just wouldn't have picked it out. Personally I like simple appliances, no digital, no gadgets, cool and freeze the food. The finish on this is better than my stove at hiding the prints.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a Kenmore that I got secondhand 18 years ago and it's still perfectly ok. When it goes I will get another Kenmore, or a Whirlpool (because Kenmore fridges are Whirlpools with the Sears Kenmore label stuck on them, according to the Sears guy).

Definitely want a freezer-on-the-bottom one. This one is a side-by-side and I don't like the narrow compartments.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a freezer on the bottom type fridge. I wasn't too sure about it to begin with, but I love it now! It has a lot more freezer space than the freezer on top models and I haven't had anything slide out of it when you open the door. Our last fridge was a freezer on top model and a frozen ham just about broke my toe. I would also say avoid the side by sides they are really difficult to put big things in. My parents can't even get frozen pizzas into their side by side.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a Jenn Aire bottom freezer. I love the space and the fact that the panel is replacable (front panel comes in like 10 colors) It has an ice maker in the freezer and water inside the fridge. I hate crap on the front of the door. We bought it for 1800 as a floor model and it is counter depth which I love! But....it is the NOISIEST danged fridge I have ever owned!! We have an older (about 10 years)Hotpoint side by side that is our extra in the garage and never had any trouble with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a 20.5 cubit ft. white( hate stainless steel) no frills, fridge on bottom. I paid $500 cash at HHGregg 2 years ago. I told them from the start I refuse to pay the $75 delivery fee they wanted to charge because I live more than 35 miles away. I told the manager if my driving 35 miles to pay cash wasn't good enough then I'd spend extra $$ and buy from the local appliance store. They deliver free and I'm sure I could talk them down in price since my boss is a friend of the owner. Little did he know the local store didn't carry what I wanted. I got the fridge I wanted and no delivery fee to boot. Don't let them talk you into something you don't want. I checked out Comsumer Reports and knew I didn't want an ice maker or freezer on the bottom or anything stainless.I told them what I wanted and let them know if I couldn't get it there I'd go somewhere else.We went to 3 places before I got what I wanted on my terms. My fiance is 6'3 and the freezer on the bottom just would not be fair to him.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love my previous GE products. We, too, inherited a fridge about 1 year younger than me with this house. I am looking at the freezer on the bottom, white finish (all other appliances are white), no water, but possibly an ice-maker. We have well water and it's destroyed my tub and bathroom sinks, I can't image what it would do to the inside of a major appliance. I don't drink our tap water, so it's silly to pay for the water feature. DH wants a double freezer drawer. I am not so particular, but would appreciate it, I'm sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast