Electric bill skyrocketed, but it's all good!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Electric bill skyrocketed, but it's all good!

'Cause dh has been running around turning off everything with a little red light, turning off power strips, lowering the water heater, turning down the heat, I'm just amazed!

Dh has always been on board with MY frugalness, but was one of those who thought as long as I was frugal it was all covered. So to have him jump in and start doing things on his own is a fantastic jump in the right direction

Oh, the bill went from $157 last month to $270 this month. The billing period ended 12/23 so I think a lot of it was christmas lights, but it's still an ugly jump. This is one area I can't get a good hold of my budget because the rates seem to change so much. Guess I'll go put on an extra sweater

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I been tracking our electric usage by taking a reading every day approximately the same time of day, and writing it down. I also track how many loads of wash I do by writing that down also each day. I can see now when I do 2 or 3 loads in a day, it definitely is a bigger jump.
    I hang a few clothes but most needs to be done in the dryer. I do check as the load progresses to take out the dry stuff. Just the 2 of us, and our average is looking at 6 loads per week.
    What I was guilty of, was doing some 1/2 loads. Now I wait and make sure it is a full load.
    By tracking the usage, it's become somewhat of a game....can we beat last year usage for the same month ? Yes , we can

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine increasing is definately NOT good over here. I'm shocked at the increase on my bill from last year, same time. Since last year, I've had additional insulation put in the attic, lowered the thermostat 5 degrees less than usual (65) and I've been using the new twisty bulbs everywhere I can, I've put bubble wrap on a lot of windows, too.

Still, there was over a $50 increase in cost from last year's bill and it said we used more electric and gas, too! (actual reading) After just receiving the OK for an increase beginning in Nov, the utility company has now also informed us that there will be yet another request for another increase in rates they also filed in Nov.. They can't use the cost of fuel as the excuse this time, though, so they've thought up another one - "rising business costs". What the heck does that mean?
    I'm really pissed about it because my DD walks around the house in her winter coat now to keep warm and uses her long robe over her clothes, too. She stays in bed most of the day, too, so she can get warm under her electric blanket.

I am cold, too, and have a tendency to hang around in the kitchen, cooking and eating more, or staying in bed a couple hours longer which is no good for me, either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's good that your dh is doing what he is doing, however I'm so sorry it went up this high. Man, mine had better not take that type of jump.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I just got our bill and it is NOT good. This time last year our bill was $212. This bill is for $354! This is not acceptable to me in any way. I don't care if we had colder weather earilier this year on not.Something or someone has to give and I know just where I'm starting. When fiance gets home tonight I'm going to show him this bill and ask him "what he thinks we can do to lower this?" since he doesn't want try some of my suggestions!!!!!! Granted we live in an older mobile home that is total electric but I have no intention of paying bills like this all winter.

Cat
    Last edited by Sassyclass; 01-02-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I totally understand. We got our bill today. We live in a totally electric home but it was $350! Argh! I know we had some very cold weather but my gosh, we've insulated, keep it at 63 degrees. I'm always cold despite wearing long underwear and a couple other layers. Come on spring!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just looked at what our bill was last year - $150 for the same month. I don't know what our usage was, but it's usually very close. So that means the rate have really jumped this past year. I hate the walking around feeling cold constantly. Yesterday, I couldn't stand my nose freezing any longer and turned it up a degree - all the way to 66. Sadly, I could tell the difference

Probably the worst part is this is our 'cheap' time of year. Living in CA it gets cold, but usually only during Dec/Jan. After that it will warm up considerably. But summers are the worse with the AC running constantly. I try to get ahead during the winter so I don't have to pay so much during the summer when our bills are outrageous. Can't do that anymore!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm glad I read this thread -- it reminded me to check the other rooms of the house, and sure enough there were things on that didn't need to be. I keep our house cool too, usually at 64 -- thankfully it doesn't get below freezing too often here. Our high power bills usually come in July, August, and September, since we have gas heat in winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How on earth are you all getting such high electric bills? You must be heating with electricity? We figure ours is expensive when it reaches $100CAD, and we live on the cold Canadian prairies...in a 2200 sq. ft. 1928 house.

I must admit, we've done things like switch over to CFLs, turning off power bars, unplugging appliances that aren't used, etc., but STILL, some of the numbers you guys are citing would just make me sick!

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hey, I win! My electric bill was $650 this month! Top that!

(Oh, wait, I guess I didn't WANT to win!)

Seriously, my average bill is $300, because I am on a well. I don't have a water bill, but I do have a high electric, because the water has to be pumped up from the well and over to the house. I think all the cooking in December pumped it up the rest of the way, because I'm on all-electric and the oven was going pretty much non-stop since T-Day, as was the dishwasher and, when I washed by hand, the hot water heater.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ours was $358 but we do have a totally electric house ie. water heater, stove, dryer and heat. I nearly choked. That is more than last year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's a quick and inexpensive tip that has helped cut electric/gas bills at our house... It seems a bit silly, but we did it in our house and it's a new home with energy efficient windows, energy efficient Levolor blinds, and it's made a BIG difference....especially when we've had temperatures below zero °F.

We put bubble wrap on all the windows for added insulation - http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...bubblewrap.htm

Check furniture stores for large sheets of the stuff for free or cheap. This is a great idea if you have single-paned windows or are renting and need some extra insulation...

We also covered the front door with insulated curtains (on a long curtain rod so they are out of the way when not in use). Not only does it help when it's cold, but when it's hot the sun's reflection off the neighbor's garage doors can raise the temperature in our entry by 5-6 degrees, compared to the living room.

We have a laundry drying-room set up in the basement so we can air-dry our clothes and I only rarely use the dryer. I don't own clothing that can't be air-dried either inside or outside.

The drying-room set up with lines, a long clothes rod on one wall, as well as several drying racks. If a piece of clothing is normally hung on a hanger, it's also placed on a hanger to dry - and they go on the long clothes rod. We installed a ceiling fan in this room, so we have great air-flow.

We must have done a few things right - our utilities are about half what the neighbors pay (for approx. the same size homes).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our light bill jumped from $100.68 to $181.38...but with good reason. Our son & his family were home for the holidays (2 weeks) and we had to run an electric fireplace in the area where they were sleeping. So, I guess it was worth the extra $80.70 it's costing me. and now I know how much that fireplace costs to run.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well 'ilovesewing' your dh and mine must have been brothers seperated at birth... mine too believes that as long as i do something everything will be okay... i hope i can get mine on the bandwagon-but with the little i have been doing we are already alot cheaper than our friends so dh thinks all is great....its just the price of doing business...

so i have been combing these threads and have come up with some great ideas...but can't wait for df to find out and freak out....

shut the breakers off to the washer & dryer- df doesn't even know HOW to use...so we are good there....

shut the breaker off to the stove- in the event df would want to use (never happened before) i'll take the rath..

unplugged everything from all the outlets... most rooms df doesn't even go into

have all df's tv equipment on a powerstrip...except for cable box..which resets itself everytime it is shut off and df WOULD notice that...so when df goes to bed...i turn off the power strip..i'm the first one up so i flip it back on so he can turn on his news....never noticed..

turn the thermo to 59 when i go to bed...df turns it up to 63 when he goes to bed....i turn it back down to 57 when i hear him snoring.... 1st one up- i turn it to 67... back down when df leaves...

turned my water heater to lowest setting....so far so good....gonna figure how to do vacation mode during day...just gotta remember to turn it back up....

-watch the cell phones and when they are fully charged...unplug
    -keep the puter plugged in on charger only when i am using...let it charge then...unplug
    -plug in coffee maker only when we are truly ready for the coffee...
    -buying a small electric skillet for when i just need to use a single burner...(waiting to find one at st.vincents)
    -looking for a drying rack...for now clothes hanging all over the house...
    (once again....st.vincents....)
    -i have one surviving fish in my fishtank (pretty sad) gonna give it a new home....(no not the toilet either!)

maybe, just maybe...by next months bill i can finally see a 'small' decrease....unfortunately...i can decrease the usage but they will find a way to increase the rates....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

She stays in bed most of the day, too, so she can get warm under her electric blanket. (Handymom)

Those electric blankets take a lot of electricity! I think your daughter (or do I mean electricity bill) is better off with a hot water bottle (or 3).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast