winter heating..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default winter heating..

ok ladies i have a pretty big older house..my question is this,
    Is it cheaper to turn up the thremostat a couple dgress or leave it down (to me its already down, I would normally have it at about 72 till next April lol) I have it set at 69 which is fine for now but once it starts getting colder should iturn it back up to 70ish or keep it down and use space heaters in the rooms where it stays cool. Anyone know which way would be cheaper???? Thanks a bunch!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I depends on the cost of your utilities.... In my expereince, space heaters are not cheap to heat a whole house, but if your just heating a common room than it can save...... Heating rooms you don't use is a waste of energy.... Just putting on an extra layer of clothes like a robe can help a lot !!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would agree with that. We sometimes even close off rooms, cuz our old house is cooooold anyway as it's pier and beam with the return air ducts in each room. We've been talking about getting a little "oil radiator" type heater for home, as it gets colder to heat the room that we are in w/o turning up the heat.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would agree with that also. Space heaters do cost a lot.

Keep it at 69 and dress warmer. We have ours set at 68 and were in the frozen north (so they say). It never goes higher. We just dress warmer along with putting more blankets on.

You can also save by putting plastic on your windows if you don't have new windows. You can also cover them with quilts if need be.

Make sure you have chaulking and weather stripping around your doors and windows. We are in an old house also and thats the first thing we did last year in Jan. when we purchased the house.

Check where you might have air leaks, plug-ins, windows, doors that you don't use to go outside. Make sure you cover them.

If you have any rooms you aren't using, don't heat them. Make sure though there are no water pipes running through the walls or floor of the room you've shut off. They need to have some heat so that they don't freeze.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wrap your heatting ducts, the heat cools off when traveling under the house. Use water heater covers, use electrical covers etc..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Your just try and do different things. You should definately see about more insullation for the house. You'd be surprised how much it helps. Also try drying clothes during the day. That will also help too. You'd be surprised how much warmth that can genrate. hope I helped some.