Water bill on rental property
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Angry Water bill on rental property

So I moved out of the house we rented on Feb 20th or so. The landlords moved in on the first of this month. They still have not switched over the water from my name to theirs. I've called them and left a message asking them to do it. They haven't. We also still have not heard about our security deposit. (1600's worth)

This is somewhat irritating.

I called the utility billing place and they said it follows the property so it won't affect my credit or my even follow me without forwarding. It's still annoying. I'm not paying for their water!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can't cancel the service out of your name directly?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You should be able to cancel it with the water company. We had that happen when we moved out of our apartment years ago.

I never thought about it, and they re-rented the property, and 6 months later, we got 2 HUGE water bills (they are billed quarterly) with late fees and all. Since they were in our name, the mail forwarded them.

Luckily, I was able to take our lease agreement into the city (that is who bills our water) and show that our lease had ended and that the new tenants were responsible for it. It was a lesson learned, and luckily they were really good about it, or it could have been really expensive for us.

You should at least be able to let them know that you are no longer living there, and therfore, not repsonsible for billing!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Call and tell them to take your name off the day you moved out. They shouldn't have a problem with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't take my name off the billing because I don't own the property.

I've called the property management company and they're going to give the landlords a call. I guess if worse comes to worse I can just have the water shut off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    I can't take my name off the billing because I don't own the property.

I've called the property management company and they're going to give the landlords a call. I guess if worse comes to worse I can just have the water shut off.
    That seems pretty effed up. How'd your name get *on* the billing if you don't own the property? At a minimum, the water co. ought to accept, "We no longer live there, we will not pay for water anymore" and take your name off effective *today*.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If that's the case then if it were me I'd tell the water company I moved out and to cut off the water. See how FAST your landlords call you then!

As far as the Security Deposit goes, send them a Certified Return Receipt Letter requesting the Deposit be returned to you in full. I hope you took pictures and/or video of the premises when you had it all cleaned out prior to sending them back the keys because you'll need those as evidence in court. Unfortunately some landlords like to "claim" that the tenant "damaged the premises" so that they can keep the deposit. Pictures say a thousand words to a Judge . If you get no response from the landlord's with a check within 10 days take their azzes to court!
    Last edited by Gardengal18; 03-18-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think you've gotten some great advice here. Good luck and let us know how this works out for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you have a property manager, call them, they should be able to fix the water problem, also, you need to work with them to get your deposit back.

Our property manager handles all the rental, so the owners might not be paying attention, its the property managers job, they get Paid to handle it. ( when we have an eviction, the property mangers handle that also, we don't even go to court.)

All states are different with rental laws but here, the owners are responisible for the water bill, even if it is in the lease the renters pay for it. I would call your property manager and see what the problem is with the hold up. Also here we have 30 days to get the deposit back to renters.

It might just be a communication problem, but I can see why you want it solved.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    That seems pretty effed up. How'd your name get *on* the billing if you don't own the property? At a minimum, the water co. ought to accept, "We no longer live there, we will not pay for water anymore" and take your name off effective *today*.
    It got on by asking the owners to put it on. They took their time doing that too. I won't be held responsible for the bill though unless they sue me or something because their name is on the property so I now that I'm over being grumpy about it I don't really care that much.

I think I'm done renting houses from people. Really its' so much easier dealing with an apartment complex.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    It got on by asking the owners to put it on. They took their time doing that too. I won't be held responsible for the bill though unless they sue me or something because their name is on the property so I now that I'm over being grumpy about it I don't really care that much.

I think I'm done renting houses from people. Really its' so much easier dealing with an apartment complex.
    Fair nuff. Personally, as a landlord, I pay for water, period. Gas and electricity are up to the tenant, but water is on the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i know here the landlords have up to 2 weeks to give back damage deposit and since the water and sewage we paid for and was on the elec bill, we told them when we were shutting it down. And if they didnt want to hook up the same day as we u hook, then the day after they unhook in out names automatically even if the lanlord doesnt agree.
    Our sewage and water was almost $50 added on the bill.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Angry

Ok- we moved out on the 19th of Feb. We paid rent for the entire month of march when our lease expired. Meanwhile- the owners have moved into the house on the 1st. They said they would take over the utilities on March 1st.

I've called the water company 3 times to see if it's been switched. It hasn't. I've called the property management company and according to them- it's between me and the landlord. I've left 2 or 3 messages with the owners and they have not returned my calls or my security deposit and the water is still in my name.

This is starting to piss me off. I'm calling the water company one more time tomorrow and then I'm going to call the property management company and let them know that I'm ready to have a talk with Navy Legal. I have a high tolerance for crap. I don't have a high tolerance for being ignored.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was just going to suggest talking to legal aid.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At this point, do you really care if their water is shut off? I would call and have it shut off and tell them the day you moved out. They can forward bills to that address.

They dont want to pay their bill, too bad, you shouldnt have to!