What do you use for the internet?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default What do you use for the internet?

I have used comcast forever.... does anyone have any experience with direct tv... seems to be cheapest... for cable aka tv .... not willing to give up high speed internet; (still searching for that one; and ideas let me now) ..but thinking about how much it would drop my bill..........

Any DVR users out there? Any one revert to the VCR method of the old day!??? JUST TAPE IT FOR FREE?

With everything available on the internet; I don't think it would be hard to find my shows and watch them with lap top or any computer hooked to tv... what do you think.....

even net flix is hooked to wii!.... We have a wii; thank you Grand Ma! YES; unfortunately we are a tv family but 9.00 to watch whatever I want.. for a month sounds really good; over 160 a month.... just thinking?

internet is is a big one; it needs to be high speed; i am a tmobile cell phone user....

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT!

BUT... really curious with all these frugal people... if you just use your old VCR.... LOL...it was free!.... Just set it an tape it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had direct tv as a tv service NOT the internet service. Anyways I would probably stay away from them. I thought I was getting a good deal over cable. No one told me that when the weather is bad you end up losing feed for whatever you are watching. Just a bunch of noise on your screen. Real waste of money to me since if it is just a really cloudy day your service could be interrupted.

I have verizon fios for internet and have not had any problems with the service. Having it installed was a different story.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a local wireless company. Before that, dialup.

As for Directv... A friend at work was all set to get it hooked up and the guy was there setting up his ladder... he turned to my buddy and said: "are you sure you want this?" He then proceeded to tell him how it does NOT live up to the hype and he expected my buddy to cancel the service eventually.

He wound up getting Verizon wireless internet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't confuse Directv with Hughesnet internet. We've had Directv about forever, and, yes, we lose the signal whenever a storm cell gets between us and the satellite, but we can live with it. Hughesnet? Got it and it doesn't live up to the hype, but it is faster than dialup. I can watch low res video...movies? forget it.

I don't have cable out here and have copper phones lines, so satellite is my only option for high-speed...OK, I could go wireless, but it's slower and costs more.

If I had cable available? It would be hooked up for internet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have directv, I am not a fan of satellite but it is the only thing we can get here. The only thing for internet is dial-up or the prepaid internet usb thing. We decided to ditch the dial-up and get the prepaid internet usb thing from Verizon. It is cheaper then dial-up and so much faster.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have Cox Communications for high speed internet and very basic phone, no cable tv. Runs about $78/month by the time you add in all the taxes. We use a tv tuner on my laptop and Windows Media Center as a DVR (free).

Registered User pop goes the weasel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We live in the sticks and can't get high seed so we just have dial up. I went with Jno and it's pretty good as far as dial up goes. It's 17 a month with norton virus protection if I choose to use it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For internet we use Comcast, no other services through them. Every 6 months I call for a promo, right now its $27.27 a month. We watch tv online, don't have cable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had hugesnet when I lived at home. We had very old copper phone lines and the may speed though them was 7bps. Can you say slow?

The Hugesnet was remarkably better. I could download huge files in seconds, and surfing was faster, but it still wasn't all they said it was.

I currently have Road Runner highspeed (just switched last week) and its great. BF has a Verizon Wireless access card that he loves.

We had Directv for the TV at home and I loved it. Of course the only other option was Dish Network or off air (no cable).

I had cable here and it was much better than directv, cheaper and a better selection.

BTW, I just got the Netflix streaming for my Wii and its pretty awesome, especially for the $9 a month that I pay for it. Their selection is limited but still far more than on cable at a small fraction of the cost.
    Last edited by Josephhgoins; 10-04-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not sure what is available where you are, bu my DH is a network engineer and worked for ISP's (internet service providers) for the last 10 years or so (currently with Comcast). He refuses to get any of the Satellite high speed internet because of service interruptions. We currently have only one option, which is Charter, and pay $120/month for business class internet (DH wants/"needs" it for some things he's running).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use ATT for my internet