Spin off: Canadian folks & ditching all cable
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Spin off: Canadian folks & ditching all cable

Hello!

I was just reading the other thread about getting rid of cable and running everything through the computer and well I want to do this soooo bad but I'm def clueless!!!!!

What are our options in Canada or more specifically Onatrio????

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't bother with Netflix, it's terrible. You can't watch hulu and most other American sites will block you from watching in Canada.

If a popular show is carried by a Canadian network, they sometimes show episodes on their website. CBC, CTV, Global, and some of the cable channels show episodes. Other than that, you have to do things which many would consider immoral (although still technically legal in Canada), so I won't promote that idea here.

However, you will need to check your internet usage limits. If you are with Rogers you probably already have a cap. If you are with anyone else, you'll be capped soon if the gov't doesn't overrule the decision the CRTC made last week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    Don't bother with Netflix, it's terrible. You can't watch hulu and most other American sites will block you from watching in Canada.

If a popular show is carried by a Canadian network, they sometimes show episodes on their website. CBC, CTV, Global, and some of the cable channels show episodes. Other than that, you have to do things which many would consider immoral (although still technically legal in Canada), so I won't promote that idea here.

However, you will need to check your internet usage limits. If you are with Rogers you probably already have a cap. If you are with anyone else, you'll be capped soon if the gov't doesn't overrule the decision the CRTC made last week.
    Thanks! Currently I have the Extreme Plus package with Rogers so are you saying that this package wouldn't be enough bandwidth for all the stream/ downloading I'd need to do??? I'm technically stupid LOL so walk me through this slowly LOL!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure how much you would be downloading, but video files are large. Rogers has a "usage tool" that lets you monitor how much you are using and let you know if you are getting close to the limit. Maybe you could check it one day, then watch a bunch of videos online and check it a day or two later to see what impact it has.

Here is a link to their faqs about usage charges: Rogers High-Speed Internet | FAQ
    Apparently you have 125GB with your package, but some of the lower packages have limits so small that they would end up paying more in overage charges than they would just getting cable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Over here, people use a website to "fake" their IPU address(is that right) to use the American websites that show TV shows and movies. I don't watch TV, but a lot of my friends use these websites because they are blocked on base too and don't want to miss their shows. Maybe you can try to find what I am talking about? Or if I can remember, I will ask someone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can use a proxy server to use sites such as hulu that are blocked in Canada. A lot of proxy server sites are shady and can download virus's etc. to your computer. You have to be really careful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday's Calgary paper had something in it about the prime minister and the minister of industry will reverse the decision unless the CRTC does it themselves. Hopefully they will get it all settled to our advantage soon. We use the internet alot at our house so if they limited our acces we would either have to get rid of the internet or have a very large bill.

Don't bother with Netflix, it's terrible.
    We have netflix and love it, mind you we haven't had any tv channels at all for over 14 years. Maybe it wouldn't be as good to someone that was used to cable. I don't know just my opinion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Over here, people use a website to "fake" their IPU address(is that right) to use the American websites that show TV shows and movies. I don't watch TV, but a lot of my friends use these websites because they are blocked on base too and don't want to miss their shows. Maybe you can try to find what I am talking about? Or if I can remember, I will ask someone.
    I do this and I'd rather not advocate it on this forum.

@ The OP: You can watch most shows on Global, CTV, etc websites. Even HGTV.ca has their shows listed on their website.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't bother with Netflix, it's terrible.
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with this statement. Netflix has junk for movies (unless you like very old or B movies), but they have a lot of TV programming. For the $8 a month we get our use out of it. If I could get our local channels via rabbit ears, I could cancel our cable. Right now we're down to the minimum cable package (still too damn expensive IMO)

It's even more worthwhile if you have kids- because kids love to watch the same thing over and over. My kids have been watching Netflix exclusively since we got it. The bonus- no commercials! No more "Mom, come see this cool thing on TV! I want that! I really, really want that!" That alone is worth $8 a month

If you have a Netflix capable device- preferably one that hooks up to a TV, not a computer- Netflix is a steal! I recommend browsing the movie selection on the website- or just sign up for the free trial and decide for yourself.