How much does using a clothesline really save??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

While we are on this subject does anyone know where I can get a clothesline pully? I've tried Target and Walmart and even the local Flea Market guys. I'm getting tired of walking up the incline in my backyard and slipping when I go to get my clothes off the dog line runs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Memorial weekend the state had a list of appliances that you could purchase and not pay sales tax on. Dryers (gas and electric) were NOT on the list because they said none of them are really energy efficient. Plus in the summer time the dryer heats up the house and makes the A/C run more; which is VERY expensive.

So I have a rolling clothes rack and two folding racks that I use for the majority of our stuff. I can set them up inside, on the back porch, or in the back yard in full sun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the savings would be zero's out for me with my fibro - in the time it took me to hang and take down the money i can make working that 1/2 wouldnt be worth it not even counting the FMS issues .

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalKate View Post
    While we are on this subject does anyone know where I can get a clothesline pully? I've tried Target and Walmart and even the local Flea Market guys. I'm getting tired of walking up the incline in my backyard and slipping when I go to get my clothes off the dog line runs.
    My first thought would be hardware stores such as Ace, Home Depot, and Lowes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalKate View Post
    AVG search | Results page
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I posted the one at Lehmans' in another thread but here it is again.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Costs for your dryer

Hi - I'd be glad to help you figure out the cost of your dryer. I just need a couple of facts.....how long does it run typically to dry a load
    of clothes? What is the wattage of your clothes dryer - your owner's manual or a name plate/sticker should say how many watts it consumes, and finally how much per kilowatt does your electric company charge. Some folks have a single rate that doesn't change throughout the day, and others have time of day meters (something you may want to ask your electric company) where electricity costs less during evening hours.

Once you have these numbers it's just a simple multiplication.
    Take the watts / hour (from your nameplate or owner's manual) and multiply it by the length of time it takes to dry a load of clothes. Example 1200 watts / hour x 45 mins = 3/4 hour = .75 hour and you get

1200 x .75 = 900 watts

Since electricity is measured in Kwh or kilowatt hours when you find the cost of 1 kilowatt hour, this is the cost of 1000 watts for 1 hour.

Divide 900 Watts by 1000 and multiply by the cost of each kilowatt hour. If your company charges 18c / kilowatt hour the cost to run the example dryer is

900 divided by 1000 = .9 x 18c / kilowatt hour = $0.162 or 16.2 cents.

Let me know if you need any help with this.

Paul

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi - Home Depot or Lowe's has them!! Good Luck.

Paul

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I noticed an $80 savings a month when I started line drying in combination with unplugging things when not in use...(I do not unplug stove,fridge,washer,dryer,alarm clock or TVs....only coffee pot,computer and chargers...)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Arrow Rough Math I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    I wonder too. I have read on here that some people are getting a Kill-o-watt and I wonder if they have used it on their dryer yet. I hope someone answers.
    I use a clothes line whenever possible. The way I see it is that it takes me about 5 minutes combined to hang and take down the articles where it takes my dryer about 60 minutes to do the same. The dryer would cost about $85 per year (I think this is the average or is it per month?) on average about .36 cents a load just in energy, which equates to about 236 loads a year (5 loads per week sounds reasonable). Add the cost of the dryer of about $50 per year we're up to $135. The average family would look at a yearly clothing purchase budget of about $4,500/year and safe to say this would increase due to increased damage to clothing in a clothes dryer by conservatively 5%/year or $225/year for a family of 4. Repair on the same dryer would be about $20/year ($200/10years) So now our total is $280/year to use the clothes dryer or a decrease of $0.14/hour of my pay from my full time job. Conversely, if I pay myself to hang the clothes at $0.14/hour, I think it works out to $1.68/hour. ($0.14 x 12)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

not sure on money savings but I do know that it saves on the wear and tear of your clothing! I just line dry in the basement and do fluff up some stuff in the dryer for just a few minutes or dewrinnkle for a few.

I don't linedry sheets, towels, blankets, underwear or socks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read somewhere that, on average, you save 53 cents per load by line-drying.

We don't have a clothesline but I use the chain link fence around our dog pen to hang things on-------mainly pet blankets (we use a lot). I try to hang our sheets and towels there too as long as it's not allergy season. In my laundry room I use an old over-the-door shoe rack (not the kind with pockets) to hang bras, etc. on. We also have several clothes rods in our storage area upstairs where the dormer windows are and that's where I hang the majority of my clothes to dry.

So far DH and kids think I'm an aging hippie to hang clothes up to dry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hang dry my clothes to save money and keep the heat out of the house in the summer but I also love the smell of line dried clothes and I love to see the clothes hanging on the line. I know I'm odd, I also love to see our chickens running around and I get excited every time I see our wheat swaying in the wind. Guess I was born about a hundred years too late! I am in Colorado and I dry my clothes inside during the winter to help keep the humidity up since it gets so dry. I have two folding racks that I put in front of our pellet stove and they dry fast and keep the moisture content up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

IMO line drying saves wear and tear on the dryer plus I get a little exercise and fresh air by hanging them outside.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I save about 45 dollars a month if I hang out everything. This summer it has been hard because of all the rain we have had.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast