Your Latest Electric Bill - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So glad I started doing things to cut our electricity usage approx 4 years ago! My last two electricity bills - $160+ and $180+. Both are slightly lower than the same period last year and MUCH lower than the years before that. I have done lots of free and/or inexpensive things to cut our usage. I put an new energy efficient A/C and heater in the house in April 2009. THAT allow cut our electricity usage over 30% in the summer months. This winter we will add insulation to the attic. That should help a lot.

I live in Houston Texas and it is hot and humid. We have been in a drought and a major heat wave ALL summer. The summer before we got the new A/C our electricity bills ran $300+ and over $400 one month in the summer. Now I never have an electricity bill reach $200.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, I feel so bad for so many of you!!! Ours was $78. That is the house, shop and barn. We do have a well and DFIL's oxygen concentrator runs 24/7.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok..out here in the COLD Pacific Northwest... my bill was a paltry $56.... No air conditioning...no heat....and yes..i could have probably done even better...:-)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

wow budget plan=$201. electric but no air and an old furnace and water heater. Also Ds moves out for college in 2 weeks. It will be interesting to see a change.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

saavy;
    Did you get a new furnace/air conditioner for the whole house? And have you been running air all summer because of the heat? Our bills are not nearly as high as alot of people posting in here, but any way to lower it is welcome. I do turn my air off after the heat of the day and use ceiling fans. It's plenty cool in here and then when it gets warm in the am I turn it back on. I also keep the blinds closed when the sun is coming in. I have never had a bill close to $200. We will probably need to change our furnace/a/c in awhile so thats why I'm asking questions.
    Thx

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes it is central air and heat. And yes the a/c has been running all summer. The thermostat is set at 81 during the day and 78 at night. Ceiling fans or floor fans are turned on in whatever room we are in. My house is closed up tight - all blinds and drapes are closed.

This summer is one of the worst in years. It is only getting down to 80 degrees at night and in the low 100s for a high. With the humidity, the heat index is 105-108. We are under a heat advisory with no end in sight. Without the new A/C my electricity bill would probably be in the $400s and possibly the $500.

The old a/c unit was only 10 years old, but not very efficient. I got a city rebate and an IRS allowance that was offered because I installed a high efficiency synced up A/C and furnace. Additional insulation in the attic is next and then new windows. Those two things should lower my bill even more.

My brother and a friend both got new windows and it has helped to drop their electricity bills quite a bit. The windows will pay for themselves in a couple of years. Additional attic insulation isn't that expensive if you do it yourself. We are planning to do it this fall or early winter.

All of these improvements will help when we get ready to sell the house. I know the A/C units in the houses on both sides of us are old and they pretty much run ALL the time. I can't imagine what their electricity bills are.

I have caulked around windows, added weatherstripping around doors and windows, put insulation behind all light switches and plug outlets that are on outside walls. I have Magnatite windows (they are installed on the inside of the windows). We built a cover for our drop down attic stairway from rigid pink foam insulation. We have as much as possible on power strips and things are turned off when not in use.

I can't wait until we remodel the kitchen. I will get rid of the old electric cooktop and inwall ovens (from the 70's) and replace with natural gas. We have natural gas in the laundry room right off the kitchen. So having it run to the kitchen won't be difficult.

Any and everything you can do no matter how small WILL make a difference. And the bigger things will make a BIG difference.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by craftypam View Post
    saavy;
    Did you get a new furnace/air conditioner for the whole house? And have you been running air all summer because of the heat? Our bills are not nearly as high as alot of people posting in here, but any way to lower it is welcome. I do turn my air off after the heat of the day and use ceiling fans. It's plenty cool in here and then when it gets warm in the am I turn it back on. I also keep the blinds closed when the sun is coming in. I have never had a bill close to $200. We will probably need to change our furnace/a/c in awhile so thats why I'm asking questions.
    Thx

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just got my electric bill last week and it went up $10 to $47 for the month of July.

This was definitely the air conditioners and using my dryer. I normally line dry my clothes but either weather or timing got in the way of that last month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was relieved that mine was only $54, up from $33 the month before. (I finally gave in and turned on the A/C). I didn't use my clothes dryer and have a gas stove. The only electricity usage was from television and computer (unplugged when not in use), washing machine, microwave, coffee maker, refrigerator, fans, and lights.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our last bill, electric, water and sewer was $289. We put in new windows last fall, and recently put in a higher effeciency AC. We'll see what next month brings. Hopefully it won't be any higher for August. I don't close the shades anymore. The heat doesn't come through the windows like it used to, so I don't use as many lights during the day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They just said on the news this morning that this is the hottest and driest year on record for us (Houston, Texas).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I saw the post, I realized I hadn't checked the electric bill ... so far so good!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Lady_V, only 277 KWH? That's awesome!!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    $105 this month, last month was 90 something. 3 bd 2ba house. That includes water, sewer, trash.
    WHAT? And is that your elec./AC too?

THAT IS REALLY CHEAP. My water and sewer alone would wipe
    that out!!

Our sewer is OUTRAGEOUS............and getting worse each year!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used less electric than last year at this time but am being billed more than last year at this time. Not happy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy Current utililty bill

Just received my utility bill for July. It was $ 187.94. The previous month's bill was $113.99. An increase of about $70.00. I knew it was going to be up a little bit because the weather was extremely hot and humid, but I didn't think it was going to be that much! I had been so proud of myself these past couple of weeks, because I had managed to set aside a few dollars by being extremely frugal with my groceries, with my gasoline usage and a few other things. Now that will be used up on this bill. I just felt like crying !!!!
    It seems like I take one step forward and two back !!
    ( OK, NO MORE WHINING !! )

Storm Water ------------- 3.50
    Sewer--------------------32.84
    Water--------------------16.24
    Electrical-----------------115.44
    Trash Collection----------10.70
    Electric sales tax--------- 8.08
    Water sales tax-----------1.14

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast