What's life like without a land line - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    I think I have some irrational fears or something. LOL We have tons of roll over minutes, unlimited texting, lots of friends have [email protected] like we do, so it's free minutes. The teens mostly text anyway.

If I drop my land line I could save around 30ish a month. The net would be 40.00 plus tax.

What do I do when I drop my cell in the couch cushion and have no land line to call to hear where it's at? LOL

TIA
    Palooka, I have not had a land line in almost a year, what freedom.
    A few months ago we bought the magic jack, if we have internet we have a landline, also they have the new magic jack where you do not need to be on the internet all the time. Check it out. Good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Life has been awesome without a land line. I'm OCD about my phone, though, and I keep that thing EVERYWHERES. If I go shower, it comes and sits on the counter. If I sit on the couch, it goes on the coffee table. If I go to bed, it's on the nightstand next to me. I say that getting rid of the land line is the best thing I could have ever done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    Just be sure your house isn't in a 'flight path'..............

DD tried it a few years ago.....she was in a flight path and if the noise didn't kill the conversation, the disconnect would.

Takes longer for response (so I have read) if you need 911 too....though, the good news is, that NOW they can handle it.
    I think it's law that even though you don't subscribe to land line telephone services, should you plug in a regular telephone and dial 911, it will still work.

For those of you that use VoIP or Magic Jack - remember to update the local emergency services so they can track you when you call. (ie them going to your old house where you first bought the VoIP/Magic Jack)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I think it's law that even though you don't subscribe to land line telephone services, should you plug in a regular telephone and dial 911, it will still work.

For those of you that use VoIP or Magic Jack - remember to update the local emergency services so they can track you when you call. (ie them going to your old house where you first bought the VoIP/Magic Jack)
    In some states it is a law. In some states not a law. It is called a soft tone. I live in a state that it is not the law our landline phone has no sound at all and will not dial 911

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We dropped the landline about 4 years ago and it has been great.
    No solicitors calling, especially at dinner and its a savings of over $700 a year. Occasionally someone misplaces their phone but you learn to keep it charged and always put in the same place when you come home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my gosh, thanks for reminding me about the 911 service. It is a law in our state and I should keep a cheapy phone by the landline plug in case of emergency.

Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have done without it for approx a year. I dont generally miss it. However, I HATE to talk on the phone so I would almost rather not have any phone at all! LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i was worried to do this since i had always had a landline and didn't use to talk on the cell that much. but since unlimited texting has become popular (i use it a lot) i ditched my landline a couple of years ago and haven't really missed it. my mom has even gotten into the texting thing so now we text a lot.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Carlad View Post
    We dropped the landline about 4 years ago and it has been great.
    No solicitors calling, especially at dinner and its a savings of over $700 a year. Occasionally someone misplaces their phone but you learn to keep it charged and always put in the same place when you come home.
    Same here. We do not miss it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Currently have both, my landline is 19.99 a month through the cable co unlimited long distance. My cell is 35 a month through AT&T, the taxes and fees with the cell were outrageous so stuck with a landline for now. My 35 a mo cell is the cheapest through the company which I still am under contract with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Haven't had a land line in about two years and don't miss it one iota. I have an iPhone and the issue of losing it was a problem for quite a while. It has taken an awfully long time, but I've disciplined myself to ensure that it can only be in one of three places: beside my bed on the charge, on a particular shelf in the living room or in my pocket If it's not then I have to wait until my SO is about so he will call it. I've had to email him while he's in work before to ask him to do so

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No landline for several years now. Don't miss it.

Someone mentioned they don't want a phone ringing/following them everywhere, that is what Volume Control on the cell phone is for. Set it to vibrate, no ring, or just turn it off altogether, if you had a land line you wouldn't be getting those calls either so just let them go to voicemail when you want privacy or need to respect an event such as a school play, dinner with friends, etc.

Someone mentioned "what if you lose it?" and for that all I can say is learn to be more responsible with it. Set it in the same place when you come home (a charging station perhaps). I've had a cell phone since '95, haven't lost one yet. I've been irresponsible with other things, I'm not saying you are irresponsible, just saying put a high priority on the cell phone when you are ready to let go of the land line. Try to develop some patterns with your cell phone before you let go of the landline such as charging your cell on a regular basis, setting it in a specific place each time, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I didnt have a land line for 14 years~ well as soon as my local phone company offered DSL i had a landline installed! Now guess what I am cell phoneless....lol.
    Last edited by freebs; 12-12-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by freebs View Post
    I didnt have a land line for 14 years~ well as soon as my local phoen company offered DSL i had a landline installed! Now guess what I am cell phoneless....lol.
    Hahaha!! That is cute!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We haven't had a land-line in over 5 years, closer to 7 I think.

If I can't find my cell, then I send an email to my phone.

Don't miss having the phone bill, thinking about getting Diva a MagicJack because ... well, she's a tween

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast