Oscillating electric heater worth the savings?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Oscillating electric heater worth the savings?

DH bought me an oscillating electric heater for Christmas. (I have, honestly, the coldest hands and feet of anyone I know.) I've been using it almost every day to help warm my hands and feet up and the last two nights, I've kept it in the bedroom on a 'heat and save' mode. It'll heat the room to 24C and then shut off when the room's at that temperature.

My question is this:

How much more energy efficient is it to run this heater for maybe, say, an hour a day or even all night compared to a house heater? If I kept the heat for the house on 18C during the day and turned it up to 21C at night but ran the heater during the day, would I save more than if I kept the heat on 21/22C all day?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd tend to think the space heater would be more efficient b/c its only drawing a small amount of power vs firing up an entire furnace. How big is the area that you're trying to heat? Is it closed in (able to keep the heat trapped) or an open space (heating a large area not meant for a space heater)? Having said that, I don't think space heaters are meant to be run long term - ie overnight.

We keep the thermostat turned down during the day and at night while we're sleeping. Its set a for a bit higher during the am's around the time we're starting our day and around bedtime so we can get to sleep comfortably before the temp drops.

Would a heated blanket be better for you vs a space heater? You can use that in bed at night. Some models come with a timer so it will turn off after you're asleep therefore not drawing power.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use the space heater in our office, which is considered open space. But the trouble is that it shares the same space with the thermostat and DH is afraid that it throws off heating up the rest of the house.

The bedroom door stays closed and the first few times, I let it run 30 mins before bed and 30 minutes after I came to bed. It has a timer on it so I can set it for an hour and it'll shut off.

I usually keep it right next to the desk because even with the heat coming off of the laptop, I still get freezing cold hands and feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I'd tend to think the space heater would be more efficient b/c its only drawing a small amount of power vs firing up an entire furnace. How big is the area that you're trying to heat? Is it closed in (able to keep the heat trapped) or an open space (heating a large area not meant for a space heater)? Having said that, I don't think space heaters are meant to be run long term - ie overnight.

We keep the thermostat turned down during the day and at night while we're sleeping. Its set a for a bit higher during the am's around the time we're starting our day and around bedtime so we can get to sleep comfortably before the temp drops.

Would a heated blanket be better for you vs a space heater? You can use that in bed at night. Some models come with a timer so it will turn off after you're asleep therefore not drawing power.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    I use the space heater in our office, which is considered open space. But the trouble is that it shares the same space with the thermostat and DH is afraid that it throws off heating up the rest of the house.
    I think DH might be right. Our thermostat is in the hallway around the corner from the kitchen and when I get to baking or if dad's cooking up a storm on the stove, the heat from the stove seems to signal the thermostat to stay off.

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    I usually keep it right next to the desk because even with the heat coming off of the laptop, I still get freezing cold hands and feet.
    Hmm....maybe a heating blankie is next up on the wishlist? I think it may benefit you more by being ON you vs aimed 'at' you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have one for near every room. I got them at Walmart. They are the oscillating type that shuts down once a certain temp is reached or if it tips over.
    The way I use mine is to have it directly on me when I am at the computer and such. I have cold hands and feet and a breezy floor. I don't run it when i want to heat the room unless it is a small rm.
    I would suggest an electric blanket w/ dual controls that has a 12 hr. shut off in case you would forget.
    But back to the point. I personally saw a reduction in my gas bill from not turning on the furnace BUT a raise in the electric. I have an older furnace so it saved that old thing a bit of use. I guess it depends what costs more for you.
    And this is gonna sound weird but we wore cap hats during the night at my childhood home and that really helps w/ being cold.
    And insulated vest because keeping the core warm allows your body to heat your appendages. KWIM? was that clear? its late!