DSl/High Speed Internet - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33
  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,913
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by low-1 View Post
    Not really sure about this. You can have as many computers on the same line as you like with enough routers or switches. The utility company doesn't limit the number of connections.

    But as I understand your set-up, they are also administering your network for you (likely did the install and provide some sort of network support?).

    If you bought and set up your own equipment, the utility company doesn't even know (or care) how many devices are on the line.
    That's what was confusing me, although your second paragraph makes sense.

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by low-1 View Post
    Not really sure about this. You can have as many computers on the same line as you like with enough routers or switches. The utility company doesn't limit the number of connections.

    But as I understand your set-up, they are also administering your network for you (likely did the install and provide some sort of network support?).

    If you bought and set up your own equipment, the utility company doesn't even know (or care) how many devices are on the line.
    They are administering my network.

  3. #18
    Registered User MomToTwoBoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,972
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    We recently changed our cable/internet package and we pay $59 a month for both high-speed internet and cable television.


  4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,525
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I pay 39.99 for Verizon Fios. Plus cable. If I had a laptop I would definately go to basic cable and hook my laptop up to the tv to stream shows.

    It does sound as if you have a good deal going on now especially if you do not have cable.

  6. #20
    Registered User Stacia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    I pay 39.99 for Verizon Fios. Plus cable. If I had a laptop I would definately go to basic cable and hook my laptop up to the tv to stream shows.

    It does sound as if you have a good deal going on now especially if you do not have cable.
    That's a really good deal I pay about $50.00

  7. #21
    Registered User mombottoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,843
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    We pay $141.91 (all taxes, etc. included in that total) for HD cable/internet/unlimited phone service. If we dropped the phone & cable our internet service would cost $79.95 per month (plus tax & other stuff).

  8. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13,930
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    25
    Rep Power
    88

    Default

    Now wait just a minute,why are we paying so much more?
    Our is $210. per month.
    We have the HD starter bundle $139.99
    thats for unlimited calls,cable and internet
    plus Modem lease fee $7.00
    plus $17.95 for digital preferred
    plus HD DVR Service 2 @ $7.00=$14.
    And then franchise,taxes and FCC fees for another $13.49
    And a couple of misc. fees.
    DH set this up because he works at home. Now i am wondering?
    I goota ask about this (and then the fight began!)

  9. #23
    Registered User mombottoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,843
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Now wait just a minute,why are we paying so much more?
    Our is $210. per month.
    We have the HD starter bundle $139.99
    thats for unlimited calls,cable and internet
    plus Modem lease fee $7.00
    plus $17.95 for digital preferred
    plus HD DVR Service 2 @ $7.00=$14.
    And then franchise,taxes and FCC fees for another $13.49
    And a couple of misc. fees.
    DH set this up because he works at home. Now i am wondering?
    I goota ask about this (and then the fight began!)
    They jacked our rates up to where it was going to cost us over $190 per month, I called & haggled, they dropped package down to $169.95 (not including the xtras)...I called again & haggled some more...

    We have the HD Preferred XF which includes Digital Preferred,
    Starz, HBO
    Video On Demand
    Includes Video Equipment
    High-Speed Internet
    Digital Voice Unlimited

    and they dropped the price of our 2nd box down to $4.95 per month from $8.95.

  10. #24
    Unix Ninja Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1998
    Location
    Midland, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,209
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    would anyone be interested in learning how to setup their own network? this could eliminate costs from your ISP administering it. (for the folks indicating that they are limited on the amount of devices on their network)

    we have 15 devices connected online at our house.
    basic investment is a wire/wireless router. they run for $50

  11. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    708
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    15

    Default we pay 40.00 a month for

    crap....there are somedays the internet is not useable....it has gotten to a point where they gave us january and february for free...and now have sold the company out to another company....hopefully this will help and we will be able to use the internet again with a little bit of speed...the thing that stinks is that the new company has a cap on how much you can use it is 20 gb....is that alot.....I really dont know....and the price after the first year jumps up....

  12. #26
    Registered User Ponderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    394
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    would anyone be interested in learning how to setup their own network? this could eliminate costs from your ISP administering it. (for the folks indicating that they are limited on the amount of devices on their network)

    we have 15 devices connected online at our house.
    basic investment is a wire/wireless router. they run for $50
    Does this mean it would eliminate the need to pay a cable company? I have 1 Mac and 1 television and that is all I am dealing with. I have a wireless router that is my son's from when he had XBox live, which he no longer has.

  13. #27
    Registered User lparker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Age
    75
    Posts
    689
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    You still need a way to connect to the internet, so, no.

  14. #28
    Registered User Ponderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    394
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lparker View Post
    You still need a way to connect to the internet, so, no.
    Kicking the dirt....yeah, I kind of knew that but it could have been good!!! LOL

  15. #29
    Registered User eofelis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    We have basic landline phone ($35/mo) and 3mbps dsl internet ($20/mo) from Qwest/Century Link.

    We've had the dsl for over a year now. Started out at $15/mo 6 month promo special. At the end of 6 months I called them up and asked to be put on the next $15/mo 6 month promo deal. After that the best they would offer me was $20/mo for a year.
    This was after they became Century Link. So I guess they get bought up and the price goes up. Service has been fine all along tho.

  16. #30
    Registered User nodmicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6,988
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    We have no landline bill or cable. Our dsl internt is $38.04 with the tax for Centurytel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's your internet speed?
    By Gabe in forum General Chat
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 01:40 AM
  3. High Speed Tool Steel Weight Calculator
    By luvdietcoke in forum Freebies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 11:30 PM
  4. We're going High Speed!!
    By kpnskendra in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 03:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •