Outsmarting my water bill and laundry savings!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Outsmarting my water bill and laundry savings!

I am excited. I read about this in the Tightwad gazette and also online. We recently moved to town, so now we
    have to pay for water usage. It is about 1 penny per gallon PLUS 35-40 dollars in all the fees they charge you,
    such as garbage, this fee and that fee. So it is costing me a pretty penny to use the top loader washer
    provided with the house we rent. About 40-46 cents per load in water alone!!! And I wash 17 loads or so a week!

So I bought a 32 gallon trashcan at dollar general and cut a hole in the top. Whenever my washer is
    putting in the rinse water, I switch the drain hose to the top of the trash can. The rinse water drains into
    the trash can. When Im ready for the next load, I bail the rinse water into my washer for the next loads
    wash water! Saves me $$$!!!! That means I am using almost the same amount of water as if I was using
    a Front Loader!! Wooo Hoo!!!

I also use only COLD water for washing anway (more savings) and I use Tide Coldwater. I only use about 1/5+ of
    what the normal Tide Coldwater amount recomends, so that works out to 4.9 cents per load (more savings)
    Then I hang out ALL of my laundry outside on a clothesline. When it rains I use clothes rack and indoor lines.
    (more savings)

using cold water instead of warm water 150 dollars savings per year or more (17 cents per load)

hanging out my laundry instead of using dryer 388.00 savings per year or more (44 cents per load)

re-using my rinse water for the next loads wash water 194.00 or so per year (22 cents per load)

using 1/4-1/5 less detergent than the manufacture recomends 216.00 per year ( 19.6 cens per load)

It all adds up!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are way more inspired than I to recycle your wash water that way! I'm going to start saving that gray water from the rinse cycle for garden-watering instead of letting it go down the literal drain.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good idea..every penny saved is that much better..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Creative, saves $ and good for the environment! Way to go!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~That is black belt stuff! Awesome!! I'll bet your arms are going to get really toned from toting that water back into the washer. You could learn to siphon the water out and save yourself the work though. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~That is black belt stuff! Awesome!! I'll bet your arms are going to get really toned from toting that water back into the washer. You could learn to siphon the water out and save yourself the work though. ~
    Actually I just use an ice cream bucket and the trash can is right beside the washer, so its not bad. I did think there has to be another way, like those pumps that pull water? \

What is a siphon?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Water and sewer went way up here because town here has to put in new sewer system.It's outdated for the new EPA rules.So since I have 3 grandkids living here I have been using bath water to flush the stool and water my tiny garden.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going to ask my husband if there is a way we can divert the washing machine water to the outside of the house (along the foundation). It just seems like such a waste. I can't bail and carry outside because I have SEVERE tendonitis in my right wrist. I THINK it is from carry 5 gallon buckets of water from a down spout to other parts of the yard!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a wringer washer - so one washer full of hot water, will wash about 5-6 loads of laundry (we sort and wash whites, permanent press, towels, jeans, then rugs, etc.) Two tubs of rinse water for the whole thing too. So basically 3 tubs of water for several loads of laundry.

Then the water goes on the garden in the summer , or used to flush the toilet in winter.

I make my soap, and hang all laundry on lines - it's amazing the amount of $$$ saved.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could save the water in your laundry tub and then use a small pump with a hose attached to put outside. We have a small pump that we take the water off the top of our pool every summer.
    Our city also let us have a 2nd meter that we only pay the water portion of our water used outside. (The sewage disposal is what costs so much) I also bought a front loader washing machine. My summer water bills were $100 a month; after we did both of these things it went down to $40.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started this thread years ago, but I am back to re-using my laundry water again! We have 5 children now so even more laundry and even more savings.

Plus our city has upped the price of water now, so I am saving even further.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I reuse my washing machine water to water our grass and garden. I got a pool drain hose (about $20) at a pool supply place and connected it to the end of the drain hose on the washing machine. I used zip ties and some metal clamps that we already had. The washer drains into the yard or garden. I have to move the end of the drain hose around but it works just fine. Be sure to use an earth friendly laundry detergent and no bleach or fabric softener if you are going to do this, though.

Our washer is in the garage so I just run the hose under the garage door, leaving the door up just an inch or two works fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Small scale, but I keep a dishpan in my kitchen sink & run water in it when waiting on hot water to come up from basement. This dish pan water can be used through the day for anything needing a quick rinse, then gets used to water indoor & out door plants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast