Google Voice and Obi100 Voip free telephone calls
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Google Voice and Obi100 Voip free telephone calls

I currently have landline and 3mbps DSL internet through Centurylink. The service has been fine but I'm having a harder time negotiating getting a lower price on the service from them. My phone service is the most basic one they offer (local and long distance calling). Their best DSL prices ($19.99/mo) they are now bundling with a higher tiered phone package that I don't want and it would make my bill even higher now. I'm paying about $55/mo total for both but if I can't renegotiate it'll go to $65/mo. Looks like just DSL would be maybe $40/mo tops.

I'm thinking of dropping the landline service with CL and just doing the DSL, and trying a voip/majic jack type of internet home phone service. I do have a cell phone. It's just a prepaid tracfone and I try to use it sparingly. My bf also has a tracfone and he uses his less than I use mine. Home phone needs are for local calls and for occasional long distance calls. No faxing. I've had the same home phone number for 10 years but I'm not that attached to it if I have to lose it.

After some research I just ordered an OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter to use with Google Voice for home phone calls. It was $38 from amazon. I read many many reviews and it looks easy to set up and then all calls are free through google voice. GV will be free throughout 2013. Maybe they might have a fee for it someday, who knows. The Obi device also works with other voip providers.

I did set up a GV account with a different gmail than my usual gmail account. So I'll have a new phone number. I could have ported my current number that I've had for 10 years but it costs $20 to do that and I'm not that attached to it. I can deal with letting people know I have a new number.

I'll try it for a week or two before cancelling my land line service.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let us know how that works for you. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got my Obi100 and set it up today. I made a couple quick test call with the cell phones and it seems fine. I haven't made any real phone calls with it yet. I'm going to give it a week or so to make sure it's all ok before I call to cancel my landline. I still have a phone hooked up to the landline in another room so I have both for now.

It's pretty nifty that any incoming callers that leave a message have the message transcribed to an email that I can go see.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm also interested to see how this works out for you. Sounds like a great way to save money on a phone line.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use the obihai 100. I have for 4 months. I am very pleased with the service.
    You can get one at newegg.com for 39.99. Amazon also has them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Is it able for 911 calls to be traced?
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    Is it able for 911 calls to be traced?
    With Google voice it does not. However you can use a VoIP Service Provider that offers that feature if it is desired.
    Here is the details on that from the Obihai FAQ's

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wanted to try the Google Voice for a few weeks to make sure we were happy with it. It's been fine. There seem to be brief pauses occasioanlly when talking but not a big deal. The company I work for has a voip service (not sure which one) and I was on a conference call last week and noticed the same pauses there. So I guess it's a voip thing.

Today I finally called CenturyLink today to cancel my landline service. Without me having to really ask they offered me the DSL internet for $30/mo for 12 months. I am pretty satisfied with that. Otherwise I was going to shop around for other ISPs. (I was paying about $60/mo for the landline+DSL.)