Gas Bill Came Today...I Almost Fainted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Gas Bill Came Today...I Almost Fainted

Okay, I have mentioned SEVERAL times that I keep my house at 58. People think I'm nuts, but it saves money and we dress in layers. Well, for November, our gas bill was $76. Our December bill came...$206!!! They gave us a huge rate increase in NJ and it is killing me! We didn't use hardly any more gas in Dec. than in Nov. It's unbelieveable! I'm not lowering the heat anymore, but I guess now I've got to find even MORE areas to save money in since keeping the heat low isn't going to be helpful anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I feel your pain Amy. I don't want to see the bill this month--it was $250 last month

Do you have gas appliances?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh Amy I'm so sorry to hear that. I for sure don't want to see our heating bill either. They've already asked for another hike in prices here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Michelle, Gas everything!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ours was outta control too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Amy and others,
    Have you thought about looking into different sources of heat? I know that we installed our pellet stove and it has saved us so much money!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh I am so sorry your gas is so high....you all have been trying so hard...that stinks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What exactly is a pellet stove, Debbie? What are the safety issues invloved?? where can they be purchased? How has it helped your utilities costs? dramatically? I am concidering finding alternatives too, as our last bill was over 300; almost 400 (for this past month with another family living with us.). It has been crazy here, once it simmers down some, i am hoping that the costs will go back down some too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Amy, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I had budgeted for $90.00 and the bill came through for $120.00! It makes me wonder if sitting here freezing is really worth it!

I WANT SPRING!!!! WAAAHHHH!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by mrsengeseth
    What exactly is a pellet stove, Debbie? What are the safety issues invloved?? where can they be purchased? How has it helped your utilities costs? dramatically? I am concidering finding alternatives too, as our last bill was over 300; almost 400 (for this past month with another family living with us.). It has been crazy here, once it simmers down some, i am hoping that the costs will go back down some too.
    Melissa,
    A pellet stove is like a wood burning stove, but you burn wood pellets (the pellets look like rabbit food). As long as it is properly installed and vented, they pose no real threat. They are much safer than a fireplace or a wood stove because they burn more cleanly and don't build up much creasote. Our pellets cost us about $140 a ton and we burn between 2-3 tons a heating season. You can buy these things through stove and heating shops.

Here is an older one for sale on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=20564

and one from Lowes:
    http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...alogId=M040290

Our heating bills were up in the $300 range a month years ago before we bought our first pellet stove. We are now on our second stove and it has a nice thermostat feature that only calls for heat and runs the stove when the heat is needed. We paid about $1000 for ours on sale and it has since paid for itself over and over again. Our electric now runs about $80 at the highest during the winter (unless of course we have to use it to heat if the pleet stove breaks down).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Danielle, one way to know whether your saving or not is to look at how much gas units you used last year at this time to how much you've used this time. Ours shows up right on our bill and it shows usage and billing units. You can get a pretty accurate picture that way unless you've had extremely cold weather this year.

For us, the reason ours usually goes up is because they've put up a gas hike (which they have now applied to do again.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Debbie, I just called the guy here who sells them. For us, a pellet stove would cost $2500.00 - 3000.00 for a 1500 sq. ft house and the pellets cost $3.99 per bag BUT you have to purchase 60 at a time.

A wood stove would be far better for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Debbie, can I ask the square footage of your home?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

By any chance did they estimate your bill? They estimate ours every other month - I HATE that! - and the first time we had some cold days here of course that was the month it was estimated and they billed us as if we'd run the heat constantly (we didn't even have to turn it on! ).

If you have a gas water heater, remember that running your dishwasher and washer will affect that (I do as much laundry using cold water as possible) and also the length of your showers and any baths will affect it as well because the gas is heating all that water.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by homesteadmamma
    Debbie, can I ask the square footage of your home?
    Maybe 1200 if I'm lucky! It's an older manufactured home, so it's a basic box divided up into rooms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast