New to oil heat please help

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default New to oil heat please help

Hello,

Please help if you can. We just moved into a new place it is an old home, we live in the top two floors so our living space is 1600 sq feet. We have new windows and the air flow is great. We haven't turned the a/c on all this month even when it's hit 90 outside and I am an a/c freak! We have a 77 gallon oil tank and we just locked in at 1.99 per gallon...yikes..welcome to Boston!!

How many times during the winter do you guys think we will need to refill? We like to be cold...we are canadian

Also, if the house keeps cold in the summer does that mean it has good insulation or will his work to our disadvantage in the winter?

Our landlord live on the floor below us and we are hoping heat does indeed rise..haha.

Melina

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

quick update:

pur tankis larger than 77 gallons but I don't know how big.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes Melina, sounds like you have great insulation and should be nice and toasty this winter. Heat indeed does rise also, so that should help.

We have oil heat also, but I can't tell you our square footage. Big old farmhouse with great insulation also. We are on automatic fill up every 2 months, so we go through roughly 500-600 gallons per heating season. For us that is about 8½ months we have our heat on.

Oh and our thermostat upstairs is always set about 5º lower than the downstairs one.

HTH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

$1.99 a gallon? Oh, how I wish we could get that rate! We paid something like $3 a gallon last winter.

I haven't a clue about your questions. We have auto delivery, an I would guess that you are probably pretty well insulated, but is it possible that the "coolness" could be coming from shade trees?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do have lots of trees...I'm hoping in that winter the leaves will be gone and the sun will come in a heat the place lol! Wow, I never thought the coolness was part of the trees but now it makes sense. Those trees are powerful things. I'm impressed.

Melina

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by Kimberlina
    $1.99 a gallon? Oh, how I wish we could get that rate! We paid something like $3 a gallon last winter.

I haven't a clue about your questions. We have auto delivery, an I would guess that you are probably pretty well insulated, but is it possible that the "coolness" could be coming from shade trees?
    Kimberly,  I wish this thread was started sooner... I think the time to sign up for this has ended.. We use Buhrmaster and locked in at $1.99 a gal, you have to prepay though. The prices really have gone up, last year we locked in at $1.47gal.

Melina, I think you're going to be fine & I'm betting the heat does rise.