I Don't Understand It ( vent )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I Don't Understand It ( vent )

Last month my electric bill was $129.00
    This month I have used no more electricity ( propably less actually) This month its $245.00
    This is nuts and when I call the company they give me this crud about you must have old wiring ( no all new wiring because of a fire ) ( new meter box also )
    Then your using your dryer to much ( no hang most stuff on line )
    Well we can't figure out the problem but thats what you owe.
    I am at my wits end.
    Lights are off, tv is off, don't have AC, windows are open
    I am usually the only one here days so I have everything off.
    I cook with gas or my woodstove or on the grill.
    I think we are getting it down and then this.
    Thanks for listening just needed to get it off my chest...
    If it were up to me I'd go back to candles and oil lamps, no tv.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You are able to read the meter yourself. I would call them and ask them to come check the meter again, and I'm pretty sure they have to do that, or find out how to read it yourself -- there's got to be sources on the internet. They can't just say, "Well, that's what you owe!" That'd be like going to a restaurant and the waiter giving you a check for $100 when you only had a salad! "Well, I don't know what you ate, but that's what you owe!"

No, definitely look into that. I wouldn't be forking over that much money with out a fight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Look your bill over carefully and check a few things.....

- Did they do an actual reading or an estimate? The bill should state which.
    - Compare your KWH used on your current bill to your last bill.
    - Compare the ending reading on your previous bill with the start reading on your current bill to make sure they match.
    - Subtract the start reading on your current bill from the ending reading to make sure the KWH were figured correctly.
    - Look at all the charges to see if any of the rates have been raised (for example, on our bill we have a specific charge per KWH used up to 750KWH; we have a specific charge per KWH for KWH over 750 used; we have a specific charge per KWH that is a fuel charge; we have a customer charge of a certain amount per month; we have a tax charge; we have a franchise charge).
    - Compare the number of service days you are being charged for on your current bill with your previous bill. There may be more days on the current bill.

Definitely demand your meter be read again and try to make it at a time you can be there so they have to prove the reading to you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

bg
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How long have you been at your current place? Do you have records for the past few summers? If so, if you see a patten (price going up for e.g.), call and complain some more. Look at the meter reading from your bills and then look at the actual meter to see if they are close (this is for the next month). Keep complaining till they send someone to check out the problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had the same thought about it possibly being the result of an estimated reading (either for this month or the last). I would check both bills and see if you can find any indication of an estimate. It's possible they could have underestimated last month, meaning a higher bill this month; or over-estimated this month, meaning a credit back next month.

Whatever the cause, I wish you luck. Surprise bills are never any fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Holly, I can sympathize with you . The same thing happened to us last year...at the time we were with another electric company...I knew that we used less power, yet their reading was atrocious. i had called & demanded another reading...they told me..." well, if our reading is more than yours(dh read it every day), we'll charge you an extra $15 for our trouble of coming out there to re-read it".....well guess what those bozos did?? they waited 2 1/2 weeks before they came out to re-read the meter....duh!!! naturally it would be higher then!!! there was nothing that we could do, so we switched to a cheaper provider...but now, even this co. , although the rates are less than the rest, is getting out of hand...but i do agree with you holly....would rather go back to the candles & oil lamps....but we need to move out of south texas...the summers are horrible!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh man I hope they can get it figured out. That's a huge jump!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read it one month they read it the next month.
    We have lived here 9 years this month.
    I wish we had our old company because the whole farm would be $100.00.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I remember years and years ago, our electric bill was triple what it should have been. It turns out lightening had struck the meter.
    I hope you can find the source of the problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our electric company reads our electronically. Our bill has been going up. Monday I am calling the electric company and find out what day they will "read" the meter and then I am going to check it. As to your letter, I would bet that they estimated the thing. Find out what legal entity you can complain to and then tell the electric company that you will do some complaining. That might make them think twice. Has worked for me in the past.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you get them to come out and do an energy audit, as well as all the other things? If there is a problem or a "leak" maybe they can find it for you. At the very least, thy should be able to giv you suggestions on how to be more energy efficient.

Hope you get this figured out. Our pool pump is our big summer electricity eater....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This happened to us earlier this year. Our utility even pay/budget payment went from $130 to $225. We found out we had a water leak for over a year. Talk about depressing! It sounds like you are careful with your usage so there must be another reason for the big increase.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wow! That's quite a jump. I hope you can find out what happened. Something doesn't sound right. :hug:

My in-laws read theirs as well. One month my MIL went out and read it without her glasses on. She misread the numbers and when the bill came in, whoa! They got that straightened out quickly and she has never done that again. Shared that with ya 'cause I hought you could use a smile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you have new construction next door or a neighbor "borrowing" from an outside plug.

Turn your breaker switch to turn off ALL outside plugs if that is the case.

I was in our first yr of homeschooling and the construction foreman next door figured nobody was home to see, and he was plugging in our outside plugs.

By the time I caught him I think it had gone on a few days.

He just shrugged it off as common construction practice and pretty much implied that I was fussing for nothing.

I got him to pay me cash for what was used, and for the rest till he finished.

It was theft.

We settled it, and I actually made money on that one, as our bill didn't go up as much as I figured it might.

But it can and does happen.

Meters can be faulty, guesstimates are frequently dead wrong or guesstimated on someone else's meter.

HTH