A couple of unique tips

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default A couple of unique tips

I read this several weeks ago but haven't actually tested it since we haven't had a cold enough night in my neck of the woods.

But . . . instead of an extra blanket on TOP of the bed - but a heavy blanket or quilt underneath your mattress pad or bottom sheet - this will keep you more warm and comfortable at night.

Another tip - read an article where a woman had one day once a month where they used no electricity or gas - and it saved them $250 a year to do this. No TV, meals were sandwiches or no-cook, no driving anywhere, no radio, etc. I don't think I could stand the no TV myself but if I were strapped I'd give it a try.

Debbie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I could do the one day a month no nothing day.... dont know how the kids or hubby would like it! lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I could do a one day a month like that but DH would have a heart attack! Its not worth those kind of medical bills to me! LOL

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am definately going to try the quilt/comforter under the sheet trick. I'll let ya know how I like it!!

Dh and I both could do the no nothing thing, hmmmmm, we'll see!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a thick mattress pad under our sheet. I wonder if that counts? As for the meals, we do that fairly often, especially in the summer. A "cold supper" is all we want most of the time during the really hot months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never heard of putting a blanket under the bottom sheet, but it's sure worth a try. I'm pretty open to any idea that will save on our utilities.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a feather tick mattress between me and the regular mattress...the extra blankey beneath the sheet makes sense for those w/o a feather tick..hehehe

Graci

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our family ( haven't for a month) had been doing Friday night "Power Out-age Party". No electricity use after 6pm. That would add to 24 hrs a month cuz we usually had so much fun it was midnight before we knew it!

Got to do that again!

Graci

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it would be fun to do the no power thing but would like to be able to use our outdoor grill.

thanks for the tips

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I could always spend a day and night at my sister's then I wouldn't be using anything at home. Plus they have satellite tv to watch and a playstation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I put a quilt under our sheet, its been there for 5 nights. It does work! When you are laying in bed, it feels like there are more covers on top of you then there really are, does that make sense I can't think of another way to describe it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used the blanket under the bottom sheet for years in the winter it sure makes the sheets fill warmer now I have flannel sheets one set was a gift got the other set on mark down at target half off they are not a heavy flannel a cross between regular sheets and the heavy flannel almost feel like a t-shirt material they are really soft and warm have only had to have one quilt on the bed now. but all my kids have the blanket under their sheets on ds use a blanket on top of his bottom sheet and one blanket (light) and his regular comforter and he stays nice and warm so the blanket trick works I am going to try the no electricty thing one night a month maybe after dinner games and reading maybe start small and see how it goes from there maybe during the summer when it stays light longer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the testimonials!

I'm still amazed at how mild our winter has been.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do a 'light' version of power out day about once a week. No lights, if I need to read I'll open a curtain, no heat, no baking, the only cooking is if my partner requests something and usually will want the heat on when she gets back from work. I figure if I do that once a week it should make a difference. I can't tell how much I save because our bills vary so much.

wool is my biggest money saving tip. I've taken socks and woven pure wool into the soles of them, I've got a wool blanket n the couch which can be draped over you if chilly (it's extra warm because it's also imbued with dog and cat hair). A wool sweater will keep the chill off even when it's damp out (I live in a rain forest - it gets damp)

babs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have always put a blanket under Patrick's crib sheet, because he has the coldest room in the house. I think it helps retain his body heat.

I like the no electricity days, also!