Anyone have Oil heat??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone have Oil heat??

Hi Everyone...
    My new (old) house has Oil heat, I just called to get the tank filled and its $320 for little more than half a tank-150 gallons. I never have had oil before so I have no idea what to expect. I had heard someone say once that a full tank lasted them all winter, the girl at the oil company said I should expect 3-4 deliveries... typical for my area. Wow!
    I only heat with Oil, my stove, dryer and hot water heater are gas. My gas bill has been about 60 a month and I dont use that much. 3-4 loads of laundry a week, I dont use the oven much. I dont know how I will be able to afford this. I can barely afford the mortgage.
    I only used the heat 2 times so far and only to 60.. I hate being cold, I dont want to freeze all winter!
    I dont know what to do... any experience is appreciated!

Tracy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hiya Tracy,

Well to be honest we only fill our tank 2 times a year for 150 gallons each and we manage. BUT I do have electric heaters (economical of course) that do awesome work!

Maybe you can try for Liheap in your area through the local welfare office, we got $100 last year, which every bit helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I had oil heat (for a downstairs, 4brm appt) I had to fill up (250gal) 2-4x/winter. I'm a little further north than you are though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in PA in a 1300 sq ft house with a basement that is partially finished and heated as well. Our hotwater is also oil. Last year we used 537 gallons and that is with it being shut off or turned down to 60 from 8 am - 2pm Mon-Fri when noone is home. We did have a mild January last year so I am sure that helped keep the consumption down.

I think it really depends on what temp you keep your house and how well insulated it is & how big your house is. When noone is home lower it to 55 or 60 and try to lower it also at night (to whatever temp you find bearable).

Good luck let us know how it goes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree, my house is 1320 sq. ft with a finished basement (no attic) but again in a previous post i mentioned that I got help from the Weatherization program here in PA, you might want to check and see if something like that is available in your area, it doesn't hurt to check it out and if your below the income level they weatherize your house for you for free.

Again, try and see if Liheap is an option for you as well, they send the money (if eligible) to the oil delivery company for you, last year we only got $100 but every bit helps, i hope this year we get it too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

when we pre-bought this year, the oil co.had us figured at using 800 gallons or so...we also have hot water by oil. I keep my house at or around 62-65 and lower at night. Last winter was pretty mild here as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not familiar with oil heat, but I thought I'd give some advice on helping out with heating. You can supplement like some of the ladies on here do with small electric heaters, electric blankets/matress pad, check for any places where drafts come in (especially since you have an older house), get draft dodgers (little fabric things that go at the bottom of your door to keep cold air from leaking under doors and windows). I hope you can find a way to work everything out. Hugs!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have oil. I have 3/4 of a tank right now. I will fill again at the end of December and then again in the beginning of March. I am not on automatic fill or the budget system. I found that they will top off your tank when prices are at the highest. This also allows me to check around for the lowest prices without using the same company.
    As far as the budget system I used to pay $80 a month year round. When I stopped to figure out how much I saved filling when I needed it worked out to be about $50 a month. $30 a month that is quite a savings. That was 7 years ago.
    The down side is you need to put the money aside to fill and to keep an eye on your level of oil. If we have a really bitterly cold winter you will have to fill more often. The up side is I go all summer with no oil bill and that includes heating my hot water.
    I try to keep my heat at 68 when it's really cold turning it down to 64 or 65 at night. In my last home we had natural gas with poor insulation and my heating bill actually drop considerably when we moved to our home with oil.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pkellyc - I like your method! I think I am going to adopt doing the same next year. It is smart to shop around and get the lowest price compared to me with prepaying this year.

How many gallons of oil do you go through a year? I prepaid for 600 gallons which also includes heating my hotwater and I hope it will be enough.