Frugal Village Forums banner

Woodstove, Gas Or Logburning Fireplace?

1K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  sdrjeolsen 
#1 ·
Do you have a woodstove, gas or log burning fireplace? Which do you prefer and why? We have a logburning fireplace and this is what we prefer. We like the smell and the crackling sound of wood burning and to us, a wood burning fireplace seems more authentic. We don't really use it for a heat source as we have a gas furnace we use, but we do sometimes light it when it is particularly cold outside. We especially like to light it around Christmas time for the look, smell and feel.

#4 ·
We don't have any of those right now, but when we remodel our basement I'd like a woodburning stove down there. We spend a lot of time there, and in the winter it just gets so cold. I think I'd love the ambience too.

#5 ·
We burn wood in our fireplace that has a fireplace insert. This does most of the heating for our home, but we do supplement with oil. We used to have an open fireplace, it was nice but with the insert you can still see the fire dance but have the heat blow into your home instead of going up the chimney. It's wonderful & I highly recommend one.
The only time we usually use the furnace is first thing in the morning to take the edge off & get the fire going. I'm here to feed it all day and our home is small so it's just great for us.

#6 ·
We have a wood burning fireplace. I love it, it makes the whole house smell like a brick oven. The only problem is that when we light it the heater doesn't come on because the 1st floor is so warm. Then the bedrooms are freezing!

We've been thinking of moving (set my goal for 3 years from now). We looked at a house that had a nice brick fireplace, but it was converted to gas. I think as I get older I'd love the convenience of this. But I'm wondering if a gas fireplace still has that nice brick-oven smell?

#7 ·
We have a fireplace insert that has been converted to a freestanding wood stove. So we get the best of both worlds. We get the all around heating that a wood stove gives without losing it up the chimney and we get to open the front of the wood stove and see the fire (with a screen) or just view it through the glass doors.

#9 ·
We use to have a coal insert in our fireplace. Now we have a propane logset so all we have to do is push a button and we have an instant fire in the fireplace. I love it, and it throws off enough heat that it goes right upstairs and heats the house upstairs. We have a heat pump for the main heat.

#10 ·
we have a free standing wood stove a oil burning furnace. The landlord said we can use the stove. Deffently will this winter to save on oil , just need to get some wood scraps(2by 4s from inside work)

#11 ·
We have a woodburning stove. It has glass in the front so you do get that cheerful fire glow. It heats our entire downstairs (about 2000 square ft.). We have natural gas (fairly cheap down here). We run the heat upstairs when we get up in the morning. We only run it downstairs when my brother is visiting with my nieces (1 and 4) because I'm afraid of the stove around toddlers.

Jennifer

#14 ·
We have a woodburning stove. I love it! I originally wanted a pellet stove but my husband bought the woodstove because we could get "free" wood. Well, in the 10 years we've lived here we bought all our wood except for last year and so far this year. My husband and two friends went in thirds and bought a log splitter. So our wood is almost free. They get fallen trees from friends and the farm where they hunt. I can't believe they people who call us to cut up trees since they know we have a log splitter. But I do love our woodstove. It has a glass door so we enjoy looking at the fire and the warmth. We have electric baseboard heat so it can be very expensive. When we burn wood we don't use the heaters at all.

#15 · (Edited)
We have a woodburner in our fireplace. It has a fan that takes air into the area surrounding the burner and blows the heat out into the room. We can burn it like a normal fireplace or close the glass doors & burn it that way. It works great to heat up the house. I highly recommend it, it has been between 23-27 degrees every night for the last 4-5 nights, we have yet to run the furnace and we have 4100 sq ft to heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.