Our heat is out...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Our heat is out...

OK, so it's been out for a while. But we live in FL and we don't use it much. I had thought about trying to make it through the year without heat...but I don't know if that's going to happen.

The a/c works fine, the heat will start, then trip itself and go off. We tried to reset it several times and it goes off again. I think we are going to have to call someone out, but I REALLY don't want to spend the $$ (DH thinks it is the core something??? expensive he said???). I've been pretty sick (bad ear infection) all month and we had to dip into the EF for 7 Dr visits and 8prescriptions, and I have at least one more visit and more meds if this newest antibiotic won't work. I do NOT use credit cards.

It is going to be 25 degrees here Wed night (that's about as low as it goes-it was 80 here today). I know turning the emergency heat on is $$$, but would it be worth it just for one or two nights? The house is at 73 now and we haven't used heat or a/c in a couple of months. We have good insulation, but it can get drafty near the older windows. We have a wood burning fireplace but it doesn't give off any real heat-maybe a little in the family room... We have 3 kids: 6,4, and 2 and I don't want them to get too cold.

What would you do? Give in and call out the repair guy and hope we have enough to pay him or make do with emergency heat and LOTS of quilts and blankets or ???? ( I am not opposed to spending a SMALL amount of money on something that will help keep the house warm if you have suggestions there.)

TIA for any suggestions you may have!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you don't have the money to put toward the heater repair right now, have you considered buying a couple of space heaters and electric blankets to keep everybody warm on the nights that the temp goes down? We live in south/central Texas and so the night time temp rarely goes below 30 degrees for us. One night it got down to 33 and we forgot to turn on the heater. When we woke up, it was quite chilly in the house (around 65 degrees), but not unbearable. Since your house is well insulated, I'm sure everyone would do fine with a lot of blankets, warm pajamas, etc. Maybe you can make an "adventure" of it and have all the kids sleep together in the warmest room--kind of like being on a camping trip. Good luck and I hope you're able to get your heater fixed and that you also get to feeling better soon.

--Michelle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dh and i have zero heat. we need a whole new system. we also have zero central air. we live in texas, this is not a pretty thing. right now it gets into the low 30's or 40's at night. we were ok with just piling on the blankets. even just watching tv in the cold though, it can really suck. when i heard that it was going to get to the mid-20's one night i bit the bullet and went and bought an electric blanket.

i was surprised at the cost.. $29 for a twin size, $59 for a full and $79 for a queen. we bought the twin and placed it horizontally along the center strip (i guess you could call it that) part of the bed. it was delicious!!! we use it while we're watching tv. we turn it on about half an hour before we go to bed and its sooo nice. well.. for us at least, its alot nicer then shelling out hundreds if not thousands for a new unit that wont be seeing alot of use. we dont have any little ones though and that i could see, would def change our situation.

personally, the heating blankets work really well and you dont need a whole huge one. i put it under our fitted sheet and its GREAT!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would insulate the drafty windows with bubble wrap - yes it does work! There is a thread somewhere on here about it. Or with plastic insulating kits if the air is coming through the sides. Get a couple of heaters and add a few blankets. I wouldn't buy used heaters - electrical risk that could cost tooo much in the long run. We keep our heat set at 65 and run the gas fireplace as needed. I would try burning the fireplace it sometimes heats up more than you realize. I hope your ear gets to feeling better soon!
    Dianne

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are in central Alabama and the only thing in our home that was not electric was the central gas heat when we bought this house. I absolutely HATE natural gas so I had it cut off and the meter removed when we moved in four years ago.

We purchased a couple of electric space heaters for those rare cold nights and have never had an issue with being cold. All of us have electric blankets or heated mattress pads so we do not sleep with the heaters on. We spent a total of $100 on three heaters, $100 on two electric blankets and a heated mattress pad.

Also, I make sure everyone has a flat sheet, flannel blanket and a comforter on their beds in addition to their electric blankets to cover with.

We may only need to cut the heaters on a couple of times each winter. They really have not caused our power usage to increase any noticable amount. The temps in our house have not dropped below 60* this year - even when the outside temps dipped into the 30's a week or so ago. In the summer I keep the central A/C thermostat set around 67* so 60* is not cold to us by any means.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with Michelle in using space heaters. Put the kids in thermal underwear with sweat pants and sweat shirts on top. MAKE IT A CAMPING ADVENTURE!!! Have them all sleep in the same room and drape a blanket over the bed and tell them that it is their tent. Get a couple hot water bottles and place it at their feet for warm or in a pinch you can heat up a couple of potatoes instead of hot water bottles. I am not a big advocate of electric blankets and children as if they have an accident in bed they will be electrocuted.
    Now concerning your ear infection use hydrogen peroxide. The minute I begin to get an ear infection I use a eye dropper full of peroxide in each ear. You can purchase a cheap eye dropper and a small glass bottle at Walmart. I keep the hydrogen peroxide in the bottle. Here is my remedy. I hold the bottle of hydrogen peroxide in my hands to warm it ( if you do not do this then the peroxide will be freezing). I lay down on my side. Then I place one eyedropper full in my problem ear. The peroxide will bubble and I leave it in until it stops bubbling. Then I drain the peroxide out and thouroughly dry my ear with a dry clothe. I then use a hair dryer for 10-15 minutes just to be sure that my ear is really dry. I do this every three hours for two to three times to eliminate the infection. God Bless!!!
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ihaven't had a heater in 3 years....... It will cost over 4000 to replace. We didn't have a heater last year and it got down right cold.... It snowed. I have 2 ceramic space heaters now to warm up my home. If I get to cold the arthritis makes it hard for me to move.
    Plus the cold brings on the breathing problems real fast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you feel better soon! If it were me, I'd either run the emergency heat for a few days or if you want "supplies" should something like this happen again, buy some elec. blankets and space heaters. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone! It dawned on me this morning that we should have all the kids sleep in our room (which has really heavy drapes) and just buy one space heater. I would worry too much about leaving a space heater in their rooms, and 2 of mine still wear pull-ups to bed, so I would be scared to use electric blankets with them as well. I like the idea of buying a twin size mattress pad and putting it horizontally in our bed! I bet I could get a space heater for way less than the cost of a serice call!

I am so encouraged that there are others who live without heat! Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me-now I don't feel so bad!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you feel better I second or third...LOL the space heaters. I use them in my Victorian and saves me a lot of money. I also would second the peroxide in the ear. Hope you feel better soon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought some peroxide today so we will see how it goes! Thanks for the suggestion!!!