Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeMom View Post
    Holy crap, I agree with The Muse
    I don't believe it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh wait...someone might get offended.
    Thanks for the donut yankeemom. How very thoughtful and kind of you. Here's a for you. I wouldn't want you to gain any weight and maybe become *gasp* one of "those people."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    Thanks for the donut yankeemom. How very thoughtful and kind of you. Here's a for you. I wouldn't want you to gain any weight and maybe become *gasp* one of "those people."
    You must be new around here. Check this out

[ame="https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100158"]Updated Pictures - Frugal Village Forums[/ame]

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think this is a bad idea. Weigh me and my bags and charge part of the fee (the fuel portion) based on that. That is a variable cost, whereas the pilot, plane, etc. will be a fixed cost that we should all share equally.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post
    I can't see it happening. It's discriminatory, and as stated earlier can lead to further discrimination in business practices.
    It isn't discriminatory - they're not excluding anyone - and calling it so is a very aggressive accusation. The reason for the weight based price is because, as has been said earlier, it costs more to move more weight. Not only does a heavier person (such as myself) require more fuel to move, but the extra fuel to be moved also requires extra fuel. (Fortunately, not to an infinite regression)

IMO, charges like "discriminatory" should be limited to cases where decisions are made based on factors that have no relevance to the situation. For example, discriminating against blacks when selling a home has no merit.

But heavier people, again, like me, cost more to move, so the Airlines have a real, practical reason for the step they are taking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You must be new around here. Check this out

https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...d.php?t=100158

Yep, I'm new. Congrats on your weight loss.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Treating/charging someone differently based on physical appearance IS discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    It isn't discriminatory - they're not excluding anyone - and calling it so is a very aggressive accusation. The reason for the weight based price is because, as has been said earlier, it costs more to move more weight. Not only does a heavier person (such as myself) require more fuel to move, but the extra fuel to be moved also requires extra fuel. (Fortunately, not to an infinite regression)

IMO, charges like "discriminatory" should be limited to cases where decisions are made based on factors that have no relevance to the situation. For example, discriminating against blacks when selling a home has no merit.

But heavier people, again, like me, cost more to move, so the Airlines have a real, practical reason for the step they are taking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It also seems unfair to have a slim person, with one tiny carry on, pay the same as a large person, with gobs of baggage. They are changing the rules for baggage. With the cost of fuel, all weight must be considered. I have had the HORRIBLE experience of sitting in the MIDDLE of two people, both who actually needed two seats each, crammed into one little seat. I did not see that as fair. But I did not complain.I have flown first class ever since.I have to have air, and a way to get out of my seat.Now I pay more. I should complain.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post
    Treating/charging someone differently based on physical appearance IS discrimination.
    It isn't based on appearance, its based on body mass. Someone who weighs more costs more. As I said before, a discrimination charge is only applicable when the factor which is being used as a basis of judgment has no relevance to the actual judgment. Here, weight does.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't agree with this....

You can't control how tall or short you are. Generally speaking, someone who is taller weighs more.

Should someone who uses foodstamps or has free healthcare have to pay more in taxes than someone who makes more and doesn't use government assistance?

Should tiny people who are unable to put their own carry-on in the overhead compartment and require additional assistance from the flight attendant be charged for the additional help and time required to do so?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So, someone who is taller than average (any woman over 5'6") gets punished because of their genetics??!?!?!?

I don't have any control over how tall I am and I am never going to weigh anything comparible to someone who is short even if we have the same waist measurements.

That is what is not fair. European Americans tend to be taller than many other ethnic groups. To require someone to pay more just because they weigh more than another is crazy. And what about pregnant women?? Especially those carrying twins or more? They get punished financially just because God blessed them with a child/ren??? That's discrimination against women simply because men can't get pregnant.

Beyond that, what would happen to airfare sites like Priceline and Orbitz? They would probably go out of business if something like this came about.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jkelstaten View Post
    So, someone who is taller than average (any woman over 5'6") gets punished because of their genetics??!?!?!?
    I can't help genetics either....yet every grocery store, retail clothes store, library etc. has shelves that are out of my reaach. Is that discriminating against me?

The point to this is paying for what you use/consume. Just like the lobster/wine to salad/water example early. You are paying for what you are using and consuming. It makes sense to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay... before we get in to a battle royal here

*I* personally don't like the idea of being weighed (or treated) like cattle to get my seat... so, chances are, if this was to happen, I wouldn't fly. My choice... personal travel...

Fine, I weigh more, I pay more... I choose to fly... I should wire my jaws together

What I am more concerned about is those who have to travel for business... as I already stated.

I would have to pay a lot more than MrsMcDowell, but less than King Kong but I have a choice.

I am afraid that the choices of business travelers would be made by others based on the almighty dollar and not qualifications... and morph in to an entirely different problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMcDowell View Post
    I can't help genetics either....yet every grocery store, retail clothes store, library etc. has shelves that are out of my reaach. Is that discriminating against me?
    This made me grin and chuckle....it's ppl like you that I love to be able to help by reaching to the top shelf and easily getting down what you are unable to reach....

The whole height discrimination thing is silly. I'm 5'8", but I'd be lining up to buy a ticket based on my weight. 5'8" ppl CAN be slim and trim you know!
    If we are going to start talking about weight and fairness on airplanes, I'd like to say that it's not fair that me, the skinny tall girl with extra long legs always gets stuck next to the very large man that doesn;t fit into his seat and his body takes up part of my seat...........gee, no one asked me if I wanted a discount for that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by IntlMom View Post
    This made me grin and chuckle....it's ppl like you that I love to be able to help by reaching to the top shelf and easily getting down what you are unable to reach....
    Awww...I'm another shorty, barely 5'2" and I love people like you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast