Anyone Know Any Cute Places to Stay in New England?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Anyone Know Any Cute Places to Stay in New England?

So, dh and I didn't do anything special last year for our 10th anniversary, but are thinking about possibly driving up to New England for a long weekend this year. Our anniversary is October 3, so it's early fall.

We've always wanted to go to New England, but never have gotten there. We'll be leaving the kids with my parents, so it's just us.

Anyone know any cute towns with things to do and see and a B & B type place to stay?

I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Thanks!
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello Amy!

I grew up in Vermont and recommend a bed & breakfast that my parents used to save up for when I was a kid.

Rabbit Hill Inn has a website (but I can't link it 'cause I haven't made enough posts yet!)

They absolutely adore this place. It's in St. Johnsbury, VT which is far far far northeast corner of VT, on the border with New Hampshire and Canada. Alot of the dairy farms up there belong to the Cabot Creamery, which is within driving distance if you want to visit and buy some of their cheese. Best sharp cheddar in the world - Cabot cheddar. There are alot of farms interspersed with pines and mountains up there. Prices are expensive (by my family's standards) with rooms ranging from $199-$299 a night, but the food, company and service is supposed to be extraordinary. The rooms all have themes too, so you can choose one that meets your idea of a "perfect" vacation getaway if you so desire.

Another really quaint area to visit (I don't have any B&B to recommend there tho) is Woodstock, VT. No relation to the music festival of the 60's. The route between Woodstock and Quechee VT has antique arcades, some absolutely adorable stores and retailers, some really neat touristy areas (Simon Pearce glassblowers, the annual Hot Air Balloon event, the Highlander games, Northeast equestrian events, Billings Farm & Museum, etc). There's also some really keen fishing in the Quechee Gorge (I actually tickled an almost 2 foot trout out of the river there when I was a teen) and golfing, hiking, horseback riding, couple of gun ranges, etc.

Town of Woodstock has a website too with special events listed.

In my opinion Martha's Vinyard is nice and all, but Cape Cod usta be the cheap alternative and has definitely become a more expensive tourist trap.

Also, prices are always SUPER expensive Aug-Nov cause of the "leaf peepers".

Send me a PM if you have any other places in mind as I've lots of friends or family scattered around the region who might know more about a particular area. And have fun! I absolutely *love* the land in New England, and definitely miss that perfect maple green that you get in high summer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow! Thanks so much!!!
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed visiting Mystic Seaport in Mystic Ct. It is gorgeous. I don't have a recommendation on where to stay. You could stay at my in-laws, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Being from New England, I'd say about everywhere!

North of Boston is my hometown of Salem MA. In October, it will be overrin with Halloween tourists (um, we hung hung 39 people as witches, including my husbands ancestors Rebecca Nurse and Mary Easty in 1692). Beautiful waterfront, great restaurants and a world class museum, close proximity to Boston.

Newburyport - about 30 miles north of Boston (and 10 minutes from my house!) It's a great little port city that will make you feel like you are in Europe, cute shops, beautiful beaches nearby.

Holderness, NH - where they filmed "On Golden Pond" My husband and I actually found ourselves here on our honeymoon and just loved it. Took tours of the lake, went to the local farms for produce and music nights, the animal refuge and a well known fabric and sewing crafting store (you've never been in one so big! The size of a Walmart in square footage, but totally charming) in nearby Meredith NH enjoyed great food - a great place for families to visit, but we found it to be very romantic to sit by the late and listen to the loons.

Intervale NH - We discovered the Old Field House in in Intervale NH and we go there every year we can for my husband's birthday. They have condo cabins, but we always get the room at the end of the inn with the big fireplace and in-room jacuzzi. The old field house loans out sports equipment and makes the best waffles in the world. Close by (and also a great place in and of itself) is the 1785 Inn. The food is expensive, but I promise you it will be the best meal you've ever eaten, with by far the best service! It's a fancy sort of menu, we thought it would be a stuffy place. Once, we arrived drenched with snow after a sleigh-ride in the snow (available at nearby Nestlenook Inn, also great, but bigger and more resorty). We said we'd wait in the bar until we stopped dripping, but instead the waiter took our coats AND SHOES and wet socks, mittens, hats and all, sat us by the fireplace for the meal of our lives, and sent our coats and shoes to the laundry room where they returned dry and warm two hours later. We ate in one of the top restaurants in New England in bare feet and slippers supplied by the inn! Totally unpretentious and we wanted the waiter to just sit down at the table and join us.

Newport, RI - mansions and yachting, very great gatsby with a beautiful accessible downtown, tour the mansions, eat wonderful food, enjoy the water, the tennis hall of fame and more. Hotels just outside of Newport are more affordable.

I also recommend Mystic Seaport and Woodstock, VT (my cousins family has a cabin on Lake Bomazine, sp)?

I could go on and on. I love my part of the world!
    Last edited by ml2620; 08-31-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cape Elizabeth area in Portland Maine, or even the Bar Harbor area. (say it like the locals...Bah hahhh-bahhh )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Depends on what you're into? There's various fairs, etc. all over New England that time of year. (See Yankee Magazine's website for details.) There's leaf peeping tours (one of my favorites...the drive from Bennington, VT to Keene, NH or just Brattleboro VT.) There are scads of galleries, colleges, concerts, etc.

Try Henniker, NH or Amherst, NH or Hancock, NH or Greenfield, NH or Brattleboro VT. Depending on the location, town history, etc. a lot or not much may be going on there or nearby.

Here's a link to a B & B directory:
    http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/

I guess I'd recommend finding a place you want to go, events you want to do and then finding a place to stay...or finding a place to stay and then seeing what you can do nearby?

IHTH!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What great info... will always miss New England and am very thankful I spent so many wonderful years there. Think we need to plan a trip within the next few years. Mahalo for the memory walk.