almost disabled travelers?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default almost disabled travelers?

hello again!

i just posted about our future vacation plans. has anyone ever taken a handicapped vacation? i googled or found a site....but i see everyone in wheelchairs. we are not really that bad....just slow walkers, limited walking.....but have trouble keeping up with regular travelers. what should we do? we are sort of in the middle. any advice?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would recommend calling the company that offers the vacation package (if it is one) and ask them. It's better to be the fastest person on a tour then the slowest. You'll get to see a little bit more have the time to ask more questions of guides, etc.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you are travelling on your own you don't need to worry about keeping up with anyone. If you are planning to go on a few guided tours, just don't worry about it, they will wait for you. We go on plenty of trips and there are always slower people on tours. Especially the time of year and area that you are going, there will be a lot of seniors. Just check to make sure that it is not difficult walking before you sign up for something.

I think the wheelchair websites should help you with finding accessible attractions to visit. Even though you don't actually need a wheelchair, you will probably find the accessible sites to be the easiest walking. Most parks offer a variety of trails with different difficulties, normally the shortest and most level trails are paved to make them accessible. When it comes to getting out and walking, you are going to want to stick with the accessible trails. Anything beyond that and you will be getting into uneven footing and long distances. So, although you may not need all their advice for your entire trip, I would definitely look on the disabled website for recommendations on any place that you expect to walk.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks i will do that

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I, too, not the fastest walker, bad feet, bad knees. We went to Falling Waters, PA. They were so good to me. I'm the last one in a tour group, but, so far, guides have waited. @ the end of the tour they asked if I would like a car to take me back & I said thank you & yes. Then it was like another tour. The driver was filled with information. Go & have a good time!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH said it depends greatly on the airport. He says if he can use a cane he prefers it. He said Atlanta was a fiasco w/ wheelchairs because of the way it was set up. HE has a leg that swells and a foot he doesn't want stepped on. Sometimes just being seated first helps him greatly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I didn't see your other travel post, so I don't know how/where you are traveling.

I have FMS, so I can be fine at one airport and needing a transport the next. Providing I am not in a major airport, and there is plenty of time to get from gate to gate (It seems everything has a layover now), I will ask to pre-board on to a flight.

When I was on a cruise to the VI's, slow didn't describe how I was. My land-tours were carefully selected and chose 'senior friendly' activities - bike riding up a cliff-- out (I was 28 at the time).

If you are doing your own travel plans, you can look on the websites of places you are interesting of visiting. Some may have carts available if there is a lot of walking involved. I know some places will say exactly what is accessible by foot and what they think the ideal person would be for it (think skiing, the trails have definitions)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would suggest calling ahead of time when planning a guided tour. Let them know you may need some assistance. This way the tour guide will know to keep an eye out for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did you ever think about a cruise out of Boston Rosey? Walk and sit as much as you like. They have shore excursions on different levels of physical activity.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

collins1......i have done 2 cruises so far. alaska...with the glaciers was such beautiful scenery. then the carribbean. i felt that with no scenery....boring...looked forward to the destinations.....but the small amount of time was not enough to explore at all. you had to rush back to the ship soooo soon. so looking for something else. thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also have FMS- i havent taken a vacation ever that had tours etc built into them . Even when young and healthy .

we did two mini trips this year ( all paid in cash - yeah !!)

- i took the kids to hershey park left on a tuesday came back thursday so i could still work a few hours mon and thursday and not lose a total paycheck ( i am about 2.5 hours away from hershey )

i knew i could never do the drive and the park the same dya - way up we did some sightseeing hit some outlets checked in kids played in motel pool- we went to chocolate world.

Wed was the park day the older kids ( my 16 my 13 yo and her best friend ) did lot of running from place to place while the 9 yo who wasnt into as many rides and i just went at our own pace- we even went back to the motel at about 6 rested and came back for the teens at 8:30 .

on way home we did a pretzel factory tour and a few stores ( amish type )

we didnt do it this year but last year we did a crystal cave type of tour .

basically we did just one big thing each day as to not exacerbate my fibro symptoms into a bad flair.

we just came back from a few day family stay at OC NJ with DH and the 3 younger kids. again i paced myself with activity and rest periods so i could feel like a " normal " mom - like i was to the older 4 before the FMS hit . no way could i do the endless running like i use to though .

now that i am home it has hit me badly though - - didnt sleep well in a strange place , walked alot more than i normally do in a average day and i am sure going to pay for it the next few days .

if you are arranging your own schedule - maybe just call ahead mention you have some difficulties and they may be able to give you a private tour or tell you when a slow time of day tour wise is so you end up with less people on the tour.