NYC Trip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYC Trip

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default NYC Trip

Taking the kids to NYC for the weekend after Thanksgiving. Staying in NJ and taking bus to Times Square. That's probably the only frugal part. Lol. Any tips, hints etc. would be appreciated. Thanks all

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went over Halloween, several years back. Just about froze going over on the boat to Ellis Island..wear hats & gloves.
    Wear the most comfortable shoes you have.
    Fold up a large reusable bag & take with you.
    Stay together or each would have a phone, walkie talkie..
    Free up your hands. Leave the big purses & use an across the chest travel purse.
    Put a small bottle of hand gel in your purse & 2 Tyl in your pants pocket.
    Take the address & phone # of the place you're staying at..
    Definitely do the Empire State building & Statue of Liberty..
    Dress for Comfort!!
    Enjoy--I would go back in a heartbeat!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, you lucky girl! I am so home-sick this time of year. I can't post now, but I'll do my best to get back to you late tonight, ok? There's just soooooo much to do there! Do you have a set budget?

TTYL!

Theresa

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My advice would be to take NJ TRansit (the train) instead of the bus. I don't know the cost difference, but it is a better mode of travel and you are much more comfortable and able to relax.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Amy said what I was going to. We went down a few years ago, the only semi-economical way to do it was to stay in NJ and take the train in. It was actually enjoyable if you go during nonpeak times!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i went the summer before this past one.
    you can buy tix to the empire state building online and print them out i think you save a little $ , if not you save time esp if they are busy which i think with the macys parade on thanksgiving i betthat is a busy weekend there and i believe you have a year to use them from time bought .

check out the toys r us - we had fun taking the ferris wheel ride

also if kids into videogames thay can play a while at the nintendo store .

find a website for NYC and sign up now for any vacation stuff you will probbaly get some coupons.

i googled new york city coupons and found a bunch

we just did a day trip took a bus from south jersey ( was about 10-12 per person each way ) decided i honestly am not a city person - the smells the noise the rushing and the rudeness bugs me - but i knew that when i lived in a smaller towm om the outskirts of philly .

depending on how old your kids are beprepared to divert their attention - there was a guy on a corner selling condoms wrapped in an Obama wrapper and practically shoving them in front of everyone .

we also did the M and M store that was neat
    each of the kids had saved $ and we turned in change and that was their spending $ .

my younger dd went to the good morning america show to see the jonus brthers and demi levato camp rock 2 concert with a friend on the way home in NJ they stopped to see the CaKe Boss ( from TLC ) bakery - not sure how easy it would be to get there and i know the stuff isnt cheap and she had to wait an hour in line on a weekday but she had fun and got to see people they see on the show and Buddy waved to them out the 2nd story window

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

enjoy.

we were all set to book and go wed, thurs and fri and come sat of thnksgvng wknd but opted not to go at all...due to....the bedbug situation!!!! yuck.

have a good time

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Figure out when you are planning on being in NYC and the area. Then you can mapquest the area and see if there are any good and cheap restaurants around. Personally I enjoy the soft pretzel vendors that are on the side of the street. Nothing like exhaust coated pretzels to feel like a New Yorker. Yes, they do have cheap places to eat. I have used my Donkin Donuts coupons up in the city. Make sure you take some handsanitizer with you. FAO Schwartz is a fun place to go. There is also a huge candy store that might be fun. You can tell the kids we are only looking and don't ask, to use their allowance, or here is x amount of dollars that is all you get. Don't forget that the Metropolitan Museum of Art has a SUGGESTED admission fee. Technically you can see the museum for free.

Definately wear comfortable shoes and clothing. If you take pictures make sure to check your surroundings. Don't go walking around with you head in the air looking at the buildings while taking pictures. This just causes more attention and someone might take advantage.

I was always told not to give anyone money who asked for it since they will not leave you alone. And if anyone asks for train fare don't give it to them. Twice the same lady was asking for money for herself and her children. What I will do once and a while is buy a sandwich and a drink and randonly go up to a homeless person and just give it to them and walk away. The reason I mention this is you will see homeless people and it is a easier way to help your children understand.

Don't be afraid to be a little agressive when hailing a cab, trying to go up or down stairs, walking the sidewalks. There are mass amounts of people there and it is just the way people are. Don't be afraid to ask a police officer, restaurant worker, doorman for directions. If they know they will help you out. Just keep in mind there are many tourists there so you might be asking a tourist.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Layer your clothing as the temp/wind in the city may be quite a bit different then where you are staying.

Depending on the ages/intrests of your kids I would probably plan on hitting the Museum of Natural History.

Make sure to see the tree. It's always gorgeous!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AmyBoz View Post
    My advice would be to take NJ TRansit (the train) instead of the bus. I don't know the cost difference, but it is a better mode of travel and you are much more comfortable and able to relax.

I guess the bus stop if right in front of hotel in NJ and goes to 42nd st. How would I go about doing the train route instead? Thanks... I've been to NYC many times but not from NJ. Fyi, my kids are older teenagers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Come visit me in NJ!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Have a great time and please come back and tell us all about it!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    Have a great time and please come back and tell us all about it!!
    Rather be going to Hawaii!!! Lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnW819 View Post
    Come visit me in NJ!!!
    I wish I was there longer! I would love to meet you although I feel like I know you already. This place is funny like that.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Never been, but have a wonderful trip, and stay warm!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast