passports

Thread: passports

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default passports

My ds just got married and his dw has to pay for a whole new passport just to change her name. If she had it less than a year it would be free. Everything else if free to change. I think that is ridiculous.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd opt to change it only when you're going to use it. In Canada the passport is only valid for 5 years so no biggie but if I'm not mistaken its valid for 10 yrs in the US? Still....I'd wait to change it til truly needed b/c its already going to cost b/c its over the 1 yr issue clause. Also, this could help get both passport renewals into the same year so if one has to renew, may as well get the other done too - one trip, one less hassle, kwim?

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are costs associated with changing the documents, whether or not you've had it less than a year. They're only doing the free change as a courtesy. Replacements cost, too. DH has lost his twice, grr!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i had that problem too, it would of cost me £78 ($125) just to change my name on it which is the same price for a new one. Its all this new tech in the passports, i dont know if yours are different but ours have a chip in them and get scanned at airports as well as being checked as normal.

I am going to wait until we are due to go away again before i change it. It still has another 8 years on it so i cant wait for it to expire

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd hold off changing it too.

Here it would cost to change your driver's lic. too. You can have an address change.......and write it on the back...but name changes cost........new document.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had this problem a few years ago. I chose to wait until needed it to change my name on it. I did think that it was odd to have to pay so much to change your name.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo for the idea - need to get DH and mine renewed. Sorry about the cost to your new DIL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just found out the same thing! Got my passport for our honeymoon in my maiden name to make things easier. Now i'm kicking myself for not changing it within the one year. We're going on a mission trip next summer and now I have to pay basically the whole fee over again....grrr...
    Someone told me that I could just take my old passport and a certified copy of my marriage license? Anyone know if this is true? Not sure I want to take the chance...

thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by BeccaJoy1014 View Post
    I just found out the same thing! Got my passport for our honeymoon in my maiden name to make things easier. Now i'm kicking myself for not changing it within the one year. We're going on a mission trip next summer and now I have to pay basically the whole fee over again....grrr...
    Someone told me that I could just take my old passport and a certified copy of my marriage license? Anyone know if this is true? Not sure I want to take the chance...

thanks!
    I'd get it in writing.

I understand they have to redo the passport; I just think that it is outrageous to charge the same as a new passport.