Going to San Francisco, need tips on vacation apartment rentals!!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Going to San Francisco, need tips on vacation apartment rentals!!

My family and I will be traveling to San Francisco this June. The main reason we are going is for a music festival that my husband wanted to attend. We have already paid for the tickets for the festival. (Cash, not credit, yay!) Now I am trying to figure out lodging.

Because we are bringing our two young children with us, staying in a seedy motel is NOT an option. One of the nights my husband and I will actually be going out together, leaving my 17 year old sister to babysit the kids. I want them in a safe area so I won't have to worry constantly. We can't afford the nicer hotels which are over $100 a night. I saw some relatively affordable apartment rentals in the nearby area, but I'm also weary of staying at someone else's place that I've never met before.

Please share your tips or info you may have, reputable rental agencies, etc.

We are driving up there, so we will have transportation while there as well. We are staying for 5 days.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

have you tried VRBO?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ah...... look into the "NO Name Bed and Breakfast", beautiful restored huge Victorian Mansion, that was in a movie. Gets booked real fast. They have a fantastic romantic, garden level French apartment that everyone wants. It has a separate bedroom with bunk beds for the kids, also a separate private entrance. Lots of privacy. I think it might be called number 6. A cute little kitchenette to cook in.

There are other rooms, and a breakfast deal, but you want the apartment. I didn't like the other rooms or privacy as much. Make sure if you book, ask to park in drive way, not too safe area don't walk around at night, go by cab . It is so quaint and fun to stay there. Let me know , if you book there. Stayed there many many times.

Here is a review of it

No Name Bed and Breakfast

This is not where you'd send your finicky aunt for a visit -- the building is surrounded by a huge, locked gate, the location is so-so, the carpet shows signs of wear, and on our visit, the floors were so waxed that she might fall and break her hip, god forbid. We can't speak for the quality of their sit-down breakfast, but we spotted a box of store-bought pastries, packages of yeasty white rolls, and Lipton tea in the kitchen. In short, as an accommodation, the No Name pleads no contest -- it's completely sufficient. Says Czech-born 15-year owner and innkeeper Richard Kreibich, "People want a nice place, a nice innkeeper, a nice meal and a good sleep. The basics." And here, your basic needs will be met.

And it's priced accordingly. Most rooms are under $100, but the exceptional value of the No Name is the Chinese Honeymoon Suite. For a mere $125/night, guests have the pleasure of sleeping in a $10,000, 150-year-old bed, what Kreibich claims is "the most expensive bed in San Francisco." This room of the 1890 house isn't without a bit of street noise, but it's full of light, beautiful parquet wood flooring, an impressive tiled fireplace, and truly lovely ornate furniture, including the fine detailing and painted intricate woodwork of the bed. Breakfast is included for all guests, as is use of the common sitting areas, the small outside garden, and the outdoor hot tub.

Here is another:

Our family of five stayed here for almost a week, and I'd have to say it was by far the best choice I've ever made for a family vacation destination. We had the three kids in their separate bedroom, a fully stocked kitchen with all we could imagine for breakfast items, all on our private level with separate entry. This is located right in Alamo Square, with wonderful restaurants within walking distance and public transportation accessible close by. All-in-all, you can't find anything even close to this for the money, especially in a good location in San Francisco. I look forward to the next visit, and recommend the family accommodations.

Haven't seen it in awhile , hope the family apartment is still great , not so much the other rooms. But remember it is a Victorian old house, it has a locked gate due to neighborhood. But neighborhood was fine during the day.

I have stayed in the Chinese honeymoon suite as well when the apartment was booked, it was quaint and cool but you had to share a bath.
    Last edited by HappyMama; 03-30-2011 at 06:27 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know much about it, but if you are going in the summer I heard its really reasonable to rent dorm rooms.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

vacationrentals.com

As long as you stay out of the Tenderloin, you'll be away from the seedy areas. Hotels.com has pretty inexpensive and passes the bed bugs check. Enjoy your visit. I love the city

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I second the above mention of vrbo dot com. Just look for a place with a lot of reviews and go from there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wish I was going with you...my son and his family live there and I only get to see them once a year....those little granddaughters are going up so fast..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you guys for all the suggestions! I found vrbo.com to be a little intimidating at first, but I think I found a couple of places that we can afford! Hopefully I hear good things back from the owners.