Acadia NP & Boston Area - with kids
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Acadia NP & Boston Area - with kids

We are going on vacation in August, and thought we would drive down to Boston. We want to stop in at Acadia NP in Maine first for a few days, then on to Boston for a few more (total length of stay is still undetermined).

Is there anything to do at Acadia with small children (5 & 6 years)? Typically we would do a location like this without kids and be hiking the whole time. The kids can only do easy trails, usually no more than about 2km, and no steep climbs.

What are the best things to do in Boston with kids? I prefer locations that are hands-on educational (kid friendly museums) or active. We would like to see things that are unique to the area, like historical sites, etc.; not stuff that we can see anywhere, like amusement parks. Essentially, looking for activities that are both engaging and enriching.

We're also looking for recommendations on campgrounds within easy exploring distance of the city.

Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been to Acadia once. We camped one night and didn't spend alot of time in the park from what I remember. We were able to drive to a few of the major attractions like the blow hole. Its a national park on the ocean, even getting out of the car, walking a hundred feet, explore and get back in would be fun for kids.

I'm not familiar with the Boston area but I have a friend who lives in Plymouth and just told me about Myles Standish State Park. I'm not sure where is its in relation to Boston.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been to Acadia once also. Kids have fun climbing on the big black rocks by the sea.

Boston has a famous park with swan boats you can ride in (as in the book Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey). It's fun just to walk around to see famous landmarks like the Old North Church, the bar they filmed "Cheers", etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, I've been trying to book campgrounds. Acadia has turned out to be impossible - one campground is walk-up only, so we'lljust show up and take our chances. Otherwise, everything else is either booked or ridiculously overpriced. I actually saw a campground charging $85 a night!!

I looked up the state parks in Mass - they are crazy cheap. We booked four nights at Harold Parker, which seems to be fairly close to Salem, from there we can take the train in to explore downtown.

We were going to go to Myles Standish for a couple days then drive out to Cape Cod, but I just found another one with sites available that is a bit closer.

Still no idea what we will do in Boston, I think maybe the aquarium one day. It worked out to be the weekend while we are there, not sure if that is good or bad. Probably better than being in cape cod on the weekend though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've spent a lot of time at Acadia but it's been about 12 years since we've been. There was a great campground on the Island and not far from the Park but I can't remember the name! Sorry, I'm no help!

Watching the sunrise from the top of Cadillac Mt is neat. Several neat lighthouses on the Island. The southern end of Bar Harbor watching the fishing boats come in and unload is fun for kids; at least ours liked it.

The Precipice Trail is steep and even some rock steps to climb, narrow places with chains. I did NOT like it but all my family did. I wouldn't take small children. You can actually take an easy hike up the back side and enjoy the view just the same.

Of course Thunder Hole is a must see. Be careful!!! There is a very nice visitor's center with a video about the highlights of the park.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Acadia is a beautiful place to visit I just spent the day there it is 20.00 a car load and there is carriage roads with carriage rides and there is hiking and Sand beach and Jordan Pond . If camping is too expensive near Bar Harbor try camp grounds in Ellsworth it is about a half an hour away and has a few camp grounds . If you need any info let me know I live an hour away from Bar Harbor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

as far as campgrounds... I have stayed at Harold Parker and Minuteman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We drove around Acadia today, in the pouring rain. Now I'm sitting in the tent, in the pouring rain. Glad we stayed at the KOA, since they have laundry facilities on site and was able to put our beds in the dryer, after everyone squished up against the walls last night, in the pouring rain.

I really hope the sun is shining in Massachusetts tomorrow. I'm getting all wrinkly.

We need a bigger tent!!! It's doable when it's dry, but not big enough to keep everyone away from the walls when it's wet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

what is in downtown boston...isnt it fenn hall or something like that? it is near ythe river walk and very cool open area shopping and neat things to see like jugglers, etc......

downtown boston is very cool! lots to just walk around and see...some neat restaurants on the water also.
    \
    i do hope the sun shines for you and your fam tomorrow!