Buying an airplane ticket for someone else?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Buying an airplane ticket for someone else?

Hi,

I have a quick question regarding airplane tickets. I plan to fly my sister from Austin, Texas to here in Seattle, WA in June for my college graduation. I will be buying her airplane ticket. I've never done this before. Since I will have the credit card, how does she get her ticket? Can she print it out on the computer, or is there a way she can do the e-ticket kiosk at the airport without the credit card? Or does she have to go to the ticket counter to get her ticket/boarding pass?

Also, where do you buy airplane tickets? I've been looking specifically at Southwest Airlines website (so we can skip the baggage fees), but right now it's about $620 without taxes, not sure it's the cheapest. Is there other websites I can look at for cheap tickets? She doesn't care about layovers or changing planes or anything like that. Also, her husband is active army ... is there any discounts for spouses, or can she take a hopper or something?

Thanks.

Alicia

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most airlines are doing etickets now so you just have your print out with you. I think it goes by the confirmation number. Although I don't fly often myself.

Try Mobbisimo maybe?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

She can print it out with the confirmation number 24 hours prior to her flight. I believe the kiosks ask for the credit card, although a confirmation number might be sufficient.

Try calling the airline to make sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

They will be able to print a receipt to take to the airport. Most check in counters have kiosks now, which she will probably not be able to use since it is on your credit card. After a short wait in line she will get to talk to a real person who will process her ticket.

Southwest only sells through their own website or call center, so you won't find any better prices through them.

Any number of travel sites will give you options. Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, and Expedia are the big ones. Try different times of day for travel, prices will change. Also, certain days of the week are busier, and more expensive. The more willing you are to take layovers, the lower the price goes. I find Delta and American to be the most expensive airlines, but that can vary with the above choices.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The last time I bought a plane ticket, someone sent me the money for it and I put the money on my credit card, purchased the ticket and mailed it to him. That was 10 years ago, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had ordered my MIL a ticket a few months ago from Expedia, we had to use her card because it's what she would need to use as part of her ID at the airport. We did print out some papers that she was to take to the airport to show we had bought the ticket, that's where she had to have the same credit card.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got some tickets 2 way from NC to CA on priceline for 200$