Trip to San Diego
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Trip to San Diego

We are planning a trip in June to San Diego. We are driving from Colorado. We want to go to the San Diego Zoo, the Safari Zoo, and Sea World and the beach of course. I was wondering if any one had suggestions on where to stay or the best place to purchase tickets. This is a big trip for us as we usually dont leave the state! lol Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

never been. always wanted to go. have heard the zoo is utterly amazing. enjoy and have a safe trip

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I lived there for over 11 years and LOVED it!! There is an area off of I-8 called Hotel Circle that has a wide variety of hotels to choose from. If you get a chance to up to the lighthouse. The view is spectacular. Also, drive across the Coronado bridge and park at the Ferry landing. It's on the bay side and the view of downtown San Diego is wonderful. Then go over to the Hotel del Coronado. Park on Ocean or Orange and walk to it. The hotel is about 100 yrs old but beautiful. I hope you have a great time. I wish I were going!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by gapeach View Post
    I lived there for over 11 years and LOVED it!! !
    I lived there for 8.......fun town!

I agree........Hotel Del is a great place and fun to explore around.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT going to Tijuana.........I think the locals would warn you........it used to be a fun trip.......really dangerous right now. Stay away from the Mexican border.

Balboa Park used to have free concerts at about noon on Sunday....think it was. It is about 1200 acres so fun to just wander around........or picnic.

this might help...........

Balboa Park | Hours, Directions, Guide | SanDiego.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi. We've been in San Diego since 1987. Yes, Hotel Circle has most of the hotels, though they're mostly $80+ a night. I agree, STAY AWAY from Mexico, what a mess down there.

If you are looking to save money, note that the SD Zoo and SD Safari Park are very similar, though the Safari Park is 30 miles north of the city. We prefer the Safari Park, only because it's only 4 miles from our house. However, the SD Zoo is in Balboa Park, and Balboa Park is so full of things to do - about 20 museums and gardens there ranging from free to about $15/person, PLUS there's some event going on almost every weekend.

If you're into ships, check out the Maritime Museum. About $12/person and you can wander around on about 5 ships and 2 submarines.

We often just go to Balboa Park for a day and hike around, do one paid museum each trip. We never go to SeaWorld, so expensive -- we like the Birch Aquarium better anyway, less crowd.

BTW, we got married at the San Diego Botanic Garden back before they changed the name ... another affordable and nice thing to see ... San Diego Botanic Garden - Located North of San Diego in Encinitas, California

Really no shortage of things to do around here!