Specifically Buying A New Wardrobe For A Trip? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I usually don't buy new clothes for a trip.... but then I usually don't buy new clothes, period. We, too, travel light. We were recently in New England for a week and a half. I refuse to pay the checking fee on the airline, so we travel with a carry-on bag and a backpack. Here's what I took: 2 pairs jeans (wore one pair, carried the other), T shirt, sweat shirt, sweater, light weight top. Wore a hooded fall coat. I wanted to be able to layer clothes for the weather changes. Had pair of tennis and pair of sandals. Took enough underwear and socks for half the trip, and wore them double duty. PJs, and a pair of stretchy gloves. I had tinted moisturizer and deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste; used hotel shampoo and soap. It was the ideal amount to carry.

We were in Mackinac Island last fall, and the weather turned really cold and rainy. So I purchased a wonderful rain jacket there, but I usually don't buy clothes for myself on trips. This was a necessity at the time.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No, and no.

Now, if there was something I needed for the trip that I didn't need at home, that's different.

And, if I'm thrifting, and I find something that will travel well, I often snap it up and use it only for trips. For example, I have a TravelSmith black dress that I think I've worn only once or twice at home.

Now, for some inspiration on traveling light:

A Femme d'Un Certain Age: Packing: A Long Weekend in Provence

and

The Vivienne Files: Packing light: a few good reasons

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just got asked to help scope out 'deals' on formal wear - not a LBD but a serious BALL freaking GOWN For starters, I don't 'watch' those kinds of sales and well dresses are personal taste. What I'd consider beautiful, she might not.

I'm a jeans/tee/hoody type gal. I wear the same things day in/day out. If there's an occasion I'll try to make due with what I have in terms of bus-casual office wear before buying something. I'm not opposed to buying something specific if needed either or while out and about at the destination.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We camp
    I buy a new pair of flip flops for the shower. We get a new tshirt while in town.
    I guess that doesnt count.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

while packing for my fall shift (going south) I came across a light top (cardigan style) in my closet that I had no idea where it came from! But it is perfect, so I am taking it.
    I am at the age where if I am wearing a long sleeve top I want to be able to take it off quickly!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No. With as much as I travel, I'd be broke. She must not get out much. And from someone who lives in Europe, I can say that the Europeans in places she's probably visiting (assuming major cities) will not be impressed with her American style.

I do set aside budget on each trip to buy something for myself. The sundress I bought in Chiang Mai, the sweater I bought in Siena, the ring I bought in Venice, my vintage earrings from Portobello market, etc. are all lovely souvenirs from those trips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know someone else has mentioned it but thank you for the heads up on the styles not matching. I have to remember to mention that to her, that she won't look like a local b/c she packed North American local clothes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A new wardrobe, no. Specific items to make my trip more enjoyable or easier, yes. Especially since I prefer to limit myself to one carry-on sized bag whenever possible. I pack a lot of thin easy to wash layers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I just got asked to help scope out 'deals' on formal wear - not a LBD but a serious BALL freaking GOWN
    I see a lot of prom and evening gowns at the thrift stores.

Is a long dress really necessary? Is she going on a cruise?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Why is it a problem if a tourist isn't dressed like a local? We see that all the time here and it's not a problem. Except when they dress for summer in Alabama and then find out when they get here it's a whole different climate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Why is it a problem if a tourist isn't dressed like a local?
    It's not a "problem" but if she's thinking that by sprucing up her US wardrobe that she'll be on par with the stylish ladies of Paris, London, and Rome, then she's sorely mistaken... and wasting her money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some places you might look like an easy mark for a pick pocket or someone who won't haggle on a price. Noticed this a couple times in NYC. People with their cameras out taking in the sights and someone all of a sudden following them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    I'm just baffled why she can't pack what she's already got in her closet.

So now I'm wondering how others prepare and pack for a trip be it around the globe for a week or two OR around the corner for a weekend.

Do you shop for new outfit(s)/wardrobe just for travel?
    Putting money aside for a minute.........is this her first trip "over seas"? Is she finding out that half the fun is in the planning? And, just a curiosity question, if they are so damn broke..........why are they traveling anyway??

As I recall, years ago, I probably bought a few new things........just in the "excitement" of the trip. That changed......

The one thing I watch carefully now..............shoes.........and if I don't think that what I have will serve the purpose VERY COMFORTABLY, I buy new. Buy them a couple months before leaving and break them in.

I am currently watching at thrift shops for things I will need for a trip next year........1. that I don't have 2. that I don't care if it gets lost or ruined 3. that I KNOW I will need on the trip. Not buying new........but have bought a few things. But usually buy very little.

I pack light........very light..........dig out what I THINK I will need and put half of it back! One carry on has always done it for me. Didn't matter if it was for two weeks...........or two months (or more)............one carry on!

Depending on WHERE you are going the type of material that is packed---cotton, poly, etc.---becomes more important that what you packed...IMHO!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Early Bird View Post
    I see a lot of prom and evening gowns at the thrift stores.

Is a long dress really necessary? Is she going on a cruise?
    She'd smack me upside the head for even suggesting a thrift store though she claims she's not against it. She's waiting for the new 'holiday' wear to come out shortly - prob Nov 1st or something? As for the cruise - I have no idea. I didn't want to really hear about her trip plans after hearing of her necessity for a new wardrobe. It kind of put me off.

frugalfranny - no this is not her first trip overseas...third? So she knows what is available and frankly her last trip was 1.5 yrs ago. Surely ALL her clothes can't be out of date/sizing etc. But she wants what she wants - despite the cost. Now that I'm thinking about it - I wonder if they've paid off that trip b/c it "was" only 1.5 yrs ago? Hmmm...anyhoo, not my biz BUT I do worry about her poor DH. He's the only income earner in their family. She refuses to work b/c of her self admitted laziness.

I'm prepping for my own lil trip down to the US. I plan on purposely packing 'light' b/c I tend to over pack. Usually its specific stuff like meds/first aid etc. I'd rather have those on me then trying to find a pharmacy in a strange city - minor first aid stuff that is.

The only thing I am looking for to go on this trip, good & comfy walking shoes. I want to have the option of switching between those and runners. I can not afford to have sore feet, hips & back from excess walking with improper shoes. If I don't find them before we depart...its OK.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like your friend is a spendthrift. I had a friend like that for a while. She figured she was being frugal as long as all the unnecessary crap she bought at Macy's was on sale. It got old fast, when she needed constant reassurances that she was doing the right thing by buying all this sale stuff she said outright she didn't have any use for.

One thing you might want to look for is a duffel, if you're taking one, that expands. Then if you find a tee shirt or other items you want to buy, you'll have a place to put it for the trip home. Or maybe you could find a small, lightweight duffel that would fold down inside a suitcase or another duffel, for the same reason.

Are you flying?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast