Specifically Buying A New Wardrobe For A Trip? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - Yes we're all flying. We're also all checking a suitcase each despite the fee's so we have free from trying to walk/run to the gate(s) and toting a suitcase. DH & I will have backpacks and dad will have a very small gym bag as his tote. And I did look at those flat folding duffel tote bags. I might consider one just in case

Dad on the other hand bought a new fleece lined hoody style jacket (rated to -15*C) so we can leave Canada and fly to the desert and back w/o the bulk of a winter coat. Last year he was very adamant on *wearing* his wool vest over top his flannel long sleeved shirt, sports jacket and parka on the plane. Guess who toted his pouffy parka the entire time. *rolls eyes* I'm glad he made this purchase I'm trying to convince DH to NOT take his huge winter jacket as well

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd dress in layers and forget the big coats, myself. Can you rent a locker at the airport and just leave the coats there for the whole trip?

I'd definitely pack light. You are bound to pick up some things on the trip and need some room to carry them home.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks SD - this is starting to become our annual trip and I'm not complaining! Who wouldn't love a shot of heat and plenty of natural vit D? The only down fall was coming back to cold, damp and dreary weather just in time for the snow to fly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    But she wants what she wants -

not my biz BUT I do worry about her poor DH. He's the only income earner in their family. She refuses to work b/c of her self admitted laziness.

The only thing I am looking for to go on this trip, good & comfy walking shoes.

If I don't find them before we depart...its OK.
    That is pretty sad..........course it is up to her DH to say something to her...........HE ALLOWED THE MONSTER to happen!! Sounds like she really gets into the 'planning part'.........which is fun........but let's be sensible.

I think the absolute MOST IMPORTANT THING---(behind money-or some form of payment option)-----is comfy shoes!!! You can find most other things that might be needed.........BUT.......you won't be able to find new shoes and get them broken in w/o paying the price--not talking 'just money' here---.......and who wants to do that while on vacation??!! BTDT.......learned my lesson!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've given up on the shoes for now...I do need another good pair for daily walking but I don't need them *right* now. Plus I might find them while I'm away

The only things I did buy for my trip - a few tee's b/c the ones I do have are pretty ratty, they might get delegated to home wear only. The rest, if I really want/need or find a bargain TOO good to pass up - will be bought while away

As for the said friend buying new wardrobe - she's gone on shopping like a fiend w/o me. (Yay me!) I guess my input doesn't suit her ego stroking and justification needs? I'm sorry but if something doesn't look good on you, I'm going to tell you. Especially since you asked me specifically.

What I'm wondering - what if she doesn't wear these fancy high end clothes while away and hauls them back home? Will she wear them here at home? No. Its back to jeans, tee's and sweats. I know this for a fact. Its her 'uniform' b/c they are comfy. Dressy clothes, are not.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had a friend who went on a cruise with family once. She sewed beautifully and made all these beautiful clothes to wear. I remember thinking "that's great for the cruise, but what's she going to do with it all when she gets home?" I never did see her wear any of that stuff back in town. Seemed like a waste to me. Now if she made a habit of going on cruises, yeah. But I don't think she ever went on another one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is why I'm having second thoughts about going on a cruise. I can't deal with dress codes. We're very informal people and not comfortable in dressy clothes. Plus I'm not willing to buy or worse yet make a bunch of clothes I'd never wear again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    This is why I'm having second thoughts about going on a cruise. I can't deal with dress codes. We're very informal people and not comfortable in dressy clothes. Plus I'm not willing to buy or worse yet make a bunch of clothes I'd never wear again.
    Most ships have more than one place to eat, so you can be as formal or informal as you'd like. If you pick a commercial cruise line like Royal Caribbean or Norwegian, it will be mostly casual. Just steer clear of the stuffy lines like Seabourn and Cunard.

I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise to the Norwegian Fjords last year and just skipped formal night. Truthfully, the food in the main dining room was not worth dressing up for anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need some new stuff for our cruise in Feb. I don't have enough summer clothes, dresses, shorts etc. I had been holding off this summer hoping I would get down a size. I plan to hit the thrift stores about 3 weeks before the trip. Since it is winter they will all be less expensive also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just came back from Europe/cruise and I only bought 2 shirts with 3/4 sleeves for it! We travelled pretty light and only bought 5 souveniers (Rome, Athens, Kusadasi, and Crete) with a forced delay in Zurich due to the storm. Everything we bought, we wore and actually had to handwash/dry for our layover in Zurich.
    As for the formal dining room, we totally skipped that and ate in the regular dining room. I also am a very casual dresser and all this money spent on dressy clothes is going to be such a waste for her.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only cruise we're actually interested in is an Alaska cruise, maybe a sail and rail. I would hope that would be casual, for the most part. I need to do more research.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Let me know what you find out eventually SD. That is the only one I've been mildly interested in too. There's one that leaves from Vancouver and heads north. It's supposed to be spectacular.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We won't be cruising till we don't have a dog anymore, so I'm hoping it's a few years yet. Our dog came from a shelter and there's no way we would put her in a kennel for three or four weeks or so while we vacationed by camper to the west coast, then did a cruise and vacationed home again. She would think she was back in the shelter and it would just break her heart and ours too. No way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

peanut - we looked up Alaskan cruises when my aunt & cousins wanted dad and I to join them. The downfall, departure from the US which added almost $1 for 2 people The ones from Vancouver seemed nice but I took note of the ones that flew you up to the most northern destination and you toured (by car/bus) into Yukon for a day or two then back to get on the boat which did its few stops and ended in Vancouver. When I priced out those ones, I almost keeled over - I'd rather put that $ into a downpayment for a home - it was a significant chunk!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, that's kinda what I found out, too. Maybe we'd be better off to see how bad the roads are between Seattle and Anchorage. We could buy lots of gas and do a bunch of day tours, too, for what a cruise would cost.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast