Specifically Buying A New Wardrobe For A Trip?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Specifically Buying A New Wardrobe For A Trip?

I was having a conversation with a friend whom informed me that though she & her DH were beyond tight with money, they are going on a trip to Europe. She just spent the past year slowly updating her wardrobe (as well as goading her DH into buying key 'grown up' pieces) swapping all her items for newer versions (nothing wrong with older stuff - she just got bored with her 'trendy' stuff...my guess, its not in mode now?) She never buys from the thrift store but claims she would never have a problem doing so. Always declines when I invite her to join me but 'digging through the racks' isn't her cup of tea plus she's a germophobe. The thought really icks her out.

Even with her new wardrobe (DH has a new one too) - she MUST go buy more clothes to wear while away. Now I understand its hard to find clothes that fit just right when you can't buy 'off the rack' often but ALL of her clothes are new. (tags still on) I'm just baffled why she can't pack what she's already got in her closet.

So now I'm wondering how others prepare and pack for a trip be it around the globe for a week or two OR around the corner for a weekend.

Do you shop for new outfit(s)/wardrobe just for travel?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not usually. We'd rather buy clothes on the trip if we need something (but it's more of a want, not need) because then we have an excuse to buy souvenir tee shirts or whatever. One of our all-time favorite souvenir scores were the rain jackets we bought in West Yellowstone, Montana, at a discount store there. The jackets are really nice, water-resistant, embroidered with "Yellowstone" and an animal on the front, for $22 which was a steal. And yes, we actually needed them. I had been looking for several years and could never find the right thing at the right price. With Yellowstone's changeable weather, those jackets came in handy many times on that trip.

For a normal trip, we pack small duffel bags with enough clothes for a week (socks/undies for a week, two pairs of jeans, enough tee shirts or other non-wrinkling tops for a week). After a week, we do laundry. We have two sweatshirts each on board the trailer all the time, and we take our rain jackets every trip now, too. That's pretty much it. Oh, we also have a pair of wool socks and a fleece hat for each of us, in case of cold weather camping.
    Last edited by Spirit Deer; 10-26-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm tight with money because I want to take a trip to europe, too! Seriously, next year maybe.

I usually pack what I have that will work. I've been known to go buy new shoes, a sweater, or bathing suit when needed. Like when we took our cruise and I discovered DH didn't own swim trunks and the elastic on mine was all stretched out.

I've never in my life bought an entire new wardrobe.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make sure I have good shoes and I always have available a good travelling coat. I also prefer to buy clothes while travelling. After all, would you rather have the clothes you took to Europe or the clothes you bought IN Europe? Until you actually go to Paris, you really don't know what it is that sets Parisian women apart from Americans. If you buy clothes in America, you look very, very American which just sets you up for pick-pockets and scam artists. Buying a few key pieces when you get there makes a huge difference.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hmm...no. I go with what I have. UNLESS I'm going to a climate/culture significantly different than my own. For example, in Southern Spain there are places where women just do NOT wear pants. So I'd probably have to buy a black/navy travel skirt, as I don't own one, if I went there. Or if I went to a warmer climate, well, I just don't have the clothes here in Canada. I'd do what CookieLee does and buy the clothes once I arrived.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i do buy depending on what type of trip....jmho...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was thinking the same after I posted, Lisa. We travel with our camper so it's always very informal and we spend a lot of time sitting in the truck, so comfortable clothes are mandatory. But if we were going on a cruise or somewhere that required different types of clothes outside of our normal clothing needs, then we might pick up some new things. But not an entire new wardrobe.

Mostly we avoid going anywhere where jeans and tees wouldn't be acceptable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I need something, but just because I'm going on a trip.

Going away for the weekend in December. I'm buying a bathing suit. Hotel has a pool and mine doesn't fit/I don't like it.

I would buy clothes in Europe, not before.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We go south in the winter. As I am limited in what I can bring, I like to have some "new-to-me" clothes (from the thrift shop) to take. This year I have a hooded sweatshirt, fleece jacket, and maybe a sweater (not sure if I will take it.) And I bring 2 or 3 swimsuits as the chlorine does a job on them. DH and I pack all our clothes in 4 or 5 duffel bags. He is happy with Tshirts and shorts.

I would not be buying new clothes and going to Europe if money was tight. I know someone who travels quite a bit and yet is in dire need of dental work (like when he smiles, you see one tooth). I guess it is all about priorities. He probably has more fun travelling than I do chewing, LOL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Personally, I would not buy an entire new wardrobe nor take a trip to Europe if I am on a tight budget. Does she have extra $$$ for incidentals??

I also would not wait until I get to Europe to buy clothing....it is expensive!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wouldn't wait to get to Europe to buy clothes, either. I'd rather spend the time wasted shopping on seeing sights I wouldn't see anywhere else, or likely ever see again. Clothes are everywhere, but the things I could see in Europe are only in Europe. It would not be worth it to me to spend all that money to take the trip and then not spend every minute I could seeing what I came to see, instead of just seeing the insides of stores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A lot of times you buy the clothes at the bazaars and flea markets on your way to the sights. Or they are a sight in and of themselves. It's not like shopping here in North America.

My brother went to India once for a month and bought new clothes as he needed them as he passed through various places. Every so often he'd put together a package and ship the dirty clothes home to Mom!!! Poor woman washed them and set them aside for him for when he arrived back in Canada. He solved the whole washing problem. Plus he traveled really light!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of our favorite ways to sight-see is to live like the locals do. We shop at the regular grocery stores and I always make a point to go to a local hardware store. In England, many of the department stores still have cafes like the department stores in the States used to. We'd often pop into a store's cafe for "tea time" because that was one of the most cost effective and best tasting places to go. I still own the silk scarf that I bought in Paris when the weather got chilly and I was caught without something to cover my ears. It is very versatile!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think my whole problem with packing is that I want to take my WHOLE wardrobe. Yes, I have been known to over pack for a vacation or weekend. Usually will use only what I already have unless it was something I did not already have or needed to be replaced. For a couple of years when there were a lot of weddings I would buy an outfit to wear to the wedding each year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not me! I pack light. I hate all the packing and hauling and shlepping. And the mountain of laundry when we get home, plus our trailer isn't very big, so there's not much space to put things. My husband is the one who has to bring everything he owns. I'd rather just bring what I truly NEED. And money in case I do need something I didn't think of.

If I fly, which is seldom, I try to get by with just a carry-on. No time wasted rounding up the checked baggage, and no worries about lost luggage.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast