How to find cheap travel deals?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How to find cheap travel deals?

Questions posed on another thread got me to thinking. If anybody can figure out how to find cheap ways to travel, it has to be the people here at FV!

I haven't had good luck finding cheap ways to do a couple of trips we're interested in, namely seeing Hawaii and also doing a sail and rail cruise to Alaska.

We would be departing from Minnesota, most likely, and traveling as a couple, no kids. Or possibly going to Hawaii with my mom, so three adults in that case.

Anyone have tips? Favorite cheapo travel sites? Secret info on getting dirt cheap vacations?

TIA!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are a couple services that have last minute travel deals they send out in weekly newsletters. Yahoo has one. Get on their lists. Sometimes stuff is deeply discounted. You need to be able to travel on short notice, though.

Keep looking. Prices change, new deals keep coming out every week.

Some locations, some times of the year are so popular there are no bargains.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. I'll check into that.

Usually my husband can get time off with a single phone call, no waiting, and I can usually take time off if needed and let the other editors cover for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the last minute deals and also if you're able to depart from another city, say Chicago, sometimes there are pkgs just for that city.
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Chicago is a ten-hour drive, so I'm not sure how that would work for us. But something to think about.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As I am currently freezing I must say Hawaii sounds fantastic! I have a client is that beat the pants off a travel agent for sniffing out bargain fares on the cheap. She just planned a fantastic European trip for 2 weeks. She is always jetting off on ridiculously cheap trips. The next time she is in I will ask her again all her preferred sites. She gave me a really good list when we were trying to decide what to do for our anniversary. Sadly I didn't keep it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We went to Hawaii the day after Thanksgiving. Which is a good time to go left from Ohare in Chicago.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we have had great luck w/ KAYAK flights.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use Airfarewatchdog.com to list point-to-point deals. Once you get an email, I quickly take a look on couple of aggregate travel sites for the deal listed in the email (namely Kayak or Fly.com).

I'm assuming u r flying out of MSP airport? It just sucks that the airport is controlled by Delta, they've got such a stronghold there.

But keep trying!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Megabus.com if you have that in your area. I have actually sent my luggage by mail instead of checking it into a flight. Sometimes this saves about $15 depending if your airline charges. Pack snacks because airport food costs sooooo much! However if you are going to eat at an airport opt for subway with the $5 footling special. Also when in flight ask for a drink and a bottle of water. That way you can keep the extra bottle of water in your bag. Take as much stuff in your carry on as you can. Also take laundry detergent samples or trial size with you. Then just pack a few outfits and take the little bit of time to do a load while on vacation. This helps on how many bags your checking in also. Do your research with your hotel for transportation from the airport. A regular old cab ride can cost you double sometimes. However some hotels have private transportation service that charges so much less or even possible free. Check to see if your hotel offers a free trip to the grocery store too. Even if you don't plan on getting a bunch of groceries this is still beneficial if you want to grab a case of water, snack and even a quick sight seeing trip. Hey it's free so why not. You can also see if they have a timeshare tour that you will be given comps for. When we go to Vegas we always do this for free slot play, breakfast and show tickets. It's definitely worth it even though it takes about 3 hours. Sorry for just babbling on but I don't want to forget any tips. Lol! One time my husband asked at the front desk at the airport on a very packed flight if they wanted to bump us. This was a no kids trip. We waited an extra 2 hours for a different flight but got bumped to first class and got $50 in a meal voucher for the airport. So we went to tgifridays to eat while we waited for our flight. I know I will think of more as the day goes on. Lol!