Food For The Road - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Somewhere in the deep dark archives of this board is a thread where I recounted our adventures of traveling and cooking while on the road - we used a converter for the cigarette lighter , and cooked in the crock-pot. I put the food for each day in a crock-pot liner, and froze it, then put the bags in our cooler. Each morning as we got in the car, we put a bag of food into the crockpot, (I secured the crockpot lid with rubber bands). Should have seen the amazed faces at the rest stops when we pulled out hot, scrumptious food to eat

Other foods - cheese cubes (I cut my own from block cheese), fruit, peanut butter (goes great on sandwiches, or as filling in celery ), we also took pop top cans of tuna and tiny bottles of mayo to make tuna salad. . .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually make my own lunchables, a pasta salad with oil and vinegar, raw veggies...wraps are good..with left over fried chicken or grilled chicken fill with cheese and bag salad..tuna, egg, or chicken salad is good for the first day.

when Paige and I went to Tenn. the other day..we took homemade lunchables, chips, fruits, water and pop...it was only a 2 day trip..we ate out 2 meals and spent 20 dollars...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to Thank everybody for your great ideas. We did eat 2 dinners out and 1 breakfast, but it was defiantely less then originally planned thanks to your ideas. I will use more ideas as we explore more.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So how was the trip? What interesting things did you discover?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The trip was great. We checked out a new town (Ely, NV) that we had never been to. It was so quaint. We headed out about 60 miles and went to the Great Basin Nation Park. We did the tour of the Lehman cave. That was my first time in a cave, it was so interesting and glad we took the tour. Both DH and I love to be in the outdoors and enjoy what nature has given us to enjoy. We stopped at Cave Lake for a look, it was fun to see the one person ice fishing on the frozen lake. Over all we had a wonderful time and are anxious to start planning the next get away. Maybe Flagstaff, AZ.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ice fishing in Nevada? Who knew? Of course that's common here. Ely, NV, must be pretty high up then?

It sounds like you had a great time.

We toured Blanchard Springs Caverns in Arkansas a few years back. Amazing! I hope we get back there again sometime.

We bought a national parks passport book a few years ago and are hoping to eventually visit all the national parks and national monuments in the lower 48. Doubt we'll make it, but it's fun to try.

You guys seem like great candidates for a little camper someday. Dragging along your own bed to sleep in every night and your own kitchenette so you can eat your own healthy food while staying in some of the most beautiful places on Earth just beats the heck out of any hotel room! I hope you get to see every place you ever wanted to and some you haven't thought of yet. I hope you get to see Yellowstone sometime if you haven't. Every American should see it at least once. It's beautiful and unique beyond description.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit Deer, We bought a National Park passport out at Great Basin. We are looking forward to filling it up as well. We'll have to re-visit a few parks, but we don't mind. Some type of camper is in the future, we just have to decide what kind. We are working on the debt right now, but it's definately in the plans. In the meantime we'll use the tent when possible and rent an inexpensive room when we have to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check into A frame campers made by Rockwood, Chalet, and Aliner. We bought our Aliner last spring and just love it. It sets up in under one minute and is easy to tow, easy on gas mileage, and can be towed by mid-sized vehicles. They're not for everyone, of course. No particular RV is. All of them have advantages and drawbacks, so you have to decide what your priorities are.

If you want, you can mail a request to the parks you've visited but don't have stamps for. Send an SASE and a blank sheet of paper and ask them to stamp it and send it back. Then you can glue the stamp into your passport and write in the dates you were there, so you don't have to revisit if you don't want to. Or just skip the stamp and write in the dates and name of the parks.

We had the small passport and ended up getting the big one when we went to Yellowstone and still ran out of room on some pages! I think there are seven visitor centers just in YS, plus we hit some in Grand Teton, too.

I haven't heard of Great Basin so will have to check that one out. Just at a glance, the cave looks fantastic!

There is a book by National Geographic that has all the national parks in it. It's called Nat Geo Guide to National Parks. There are a lot of versions but I don't think they've really changed each one that much. National Geographic Guide to National Parks of the United States, 7th Edition (National Geographic Guide to the National Parks of the United States): National Geographic: 9781426208690: Amazon.com: Books The older ones can be had quite cheap on half.com or other used book sites. We use it quite a bit for trip planning. It's helpful because it has the various attractions listed and how long it takes to see each one, plus other info. Maybe your library has a copy if you wanted to look it over. All NPs also have pretty good websites with loads of info.

The main thing is to get out there and go somewhere! Sounds like you are ready to do so. Have you had much chance to travel? We love it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I checked out the A-frame campers. There neat. We added it to the info list so when we are able to start looking we won't forget to really check them out.

I'll check into the Nat Geo Guide.

Thanks for the tip on the Parks, there is one park we might not make it back to, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. The other parks we've been to:

Zion, several times since its a few hours down the road and we like to hike
    Grand Canyon (South Rim)
    Bryce Canyon, we've been here 2 times
    Lake Meade
    Death Valley
    Great Basin

If we are headed somewhere and time allows and there is a National Park near by we will check it out. We have bought National Park passes for several years (we can use it at Red Rock here in Las Vegas, we frequent often to hike) plus a trip or two to Zion and it has paid for itself most years. We were suprised that Great Basin didn't have a fee. We had to pay for the cave tour (1 hr tour was $8 each), we felt it was worth it. They had a longer tour ($10 each), but the next tour was 3 hours later and we had one full day to explore so we chose to take the shorter tour that started about 40 minutes after we got to the park.

We have also been to Hawaii (once, but hope to go again), Chicago, Colorado (Denver,Breckenridge), Arizona (Phoenix), Montana, (we flew into Washington and drove to Montana with friends) so we don't count Washington. My husband traveled on occasion for the company he worked for so he has had the opportunity to go to The Alamo and Mt. Rushmore while on business trips. We grew up in Southern CA and go back to visit family and friends, so we've seen a lot there and we lived in Northen Nevada for several years and made quite a few trips to Lake Tahoe and Virginia City. Most traveling has been on the West Coast so we're looking forward to the time we can see so much more the USA.

We also love to travel and see new things. Part of the traveling is that we don't want to retire here, but we don't know where, so how else to learn about new places then visiting

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you've traveled more than we have. We've barely scratched the surface. I'm jealous about Volcanoes NP in Hawaii. We'd love to go there but probably never will. We've looked into it but we could take so many other trips for the cost of going there. Plus we hate to fly. We're waiting for the bridge to be built between San Francisco and Honolulu so we can tow our trailer.

We scope out potential retirement places too, but for now we expect to retire here, if possible. Otherwise, we're looking at Hot Springs, South Dakota, but I'm sure we'll change our mind a few million more times before we reach retirement.

We've been mostly in the Midwest. Our first 'long' trip was to Roosevelt NP near Medora, North Dakota. We weren't sure how we'd like traveling, especially towing the first pop up and having to set it up for a lot of overnight stays. We didn't mind it that much, so we started doing even longer trips. We went to Crater of Diamonds SP near Murfreesboro, Arkansas, where we mined for diamonds but didn't find any. I was disappointed but not surprised. It's the only diamond mine in the world where you get to keep whatever you find. We saw Blanchard Springs Caverns on that trip and would love to go again. We hit some highlights on the way down and saw some more sights and visited some family and friends on a different route back home. That was a great trip too.

The national park near us, Voyageurs, does not charge an entrance fee either. I think they want to encourage visitation to some of the lesser known parks. We have an embarrassment of riches up here when it comes to camping options. Minnesota has about eighty state parks and recreation areas and also has a passport book, so we have fun exploring. We hit every state park in the northwest part of the state last summer on our way to the International Peace Garden near Dunseith, North Dakota. Most parks have pins, and we buy a pin and put it in its spot on a wall hanging I made. National park and other pins for outside Minnesota go outside the state in the margins. I should take a new pic because we've added a lot of pins since then, but here it is. We love adding new pins to that, because every one of them contains memories.

Minnesota also has a lot of federal parks in the form of US Forest Service parks and some US Army Corps of Engineers parks. Plus, for those into canoeing, there's the million-acre Boundary Waters Canoe Area for canoe camping to water access only campsites. That's one reason we're leaning towards retiring here. Even when we're not up to long trips anymore, there are lots of nearby options.

We have a USA sticker map that we put the appropriate stickers on the map as we visit each state. We just love being able to add a new state! Our problem now is we've visited most places we really wanted to see within a thousand miles, so will have to take more time and drive farther now.

National parks we've visited include Roosevelt in ND (several times), Yellowstone and Grand Teton in Wyoming (several times, can't wait to go back), Badlands in South Dakota (repeatedly), and Hot Springs in Arkansas. Seems like it should be more.

We're going back out to the Black Hills to host a week-long RV rally this year. This is the first time we'll be there long enough to really see everything. Usually we're just passing through. We're interested in seeing the caves out there, Crazy Horse, and some of the other sights.

We're really looking forward to visiting Utah eventually, too. Lots of great parks there.

So many destinations, so little time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love your quilt. What a great idea. Going to the parks (National or State) is such a neat way to see places. It s also so intersting to hear about the different people who first discovered the parks. DH and I enjoyed the outdoors before the DD's came along, but we found it was a way to take a family vacation and not break the bank. All of our DD's love to be outdoors. 2 out of 3 really enjoy hiking and go any chance they get. In fact our youngest DD (Freshman in College) is heading to Zion with a friend for 1 day of hiking during Spring break next week. I have to say the trip to Hawaii was an awesome trip. We saved for about 2 years before we went. For several years we had a seperate savings account that was the "vacation" account. We were able to save enough to pay cash for any trips we took. I stopped the account when DH was laid off a few years ago and then we purchased a business so we didn't do any real traveling. I need to get it going again now that we feel little trips can be worked into the schedule and budget. We would really like to go to Hawaii again. Maybe Maui next time with a stop in Honolulu to see Pearl Harbor. Also on the list is Alaska. That trip we want to be able to have several weeks to explore. We don't feel we can take that much time right now so it will be a while. My DH takes a week off at Thanksgiving and a week off at Christmas. That is during his slow time. I work outside of the business and have regular vacation time so I took Friday off, helped him on the route Friday so it would be done quicker (2 hands are better than 1 theory) and then left for the get away to Ely. We hope to get one more trip in by the end of next month and then won't be able to take another one until probably Thanksgiving. Our DD's have given us the go ahead to take week long trips during Thanksgiving as long as we are all together for Christmas. We wouldn't want to be away from them for the whole holiday season anyway. Taking a longer vacation at that time of year though limits are choices on the parks. We haven't decided what to do this year (last year was when we took the trip to Montana) we may just keep saving and head to Maui the following year. We shall see.
    The RV rally sounds like fun, I hope you will post about it when you return.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12